Bills Announce Whaley to Lead the Head Coaching Search

26CornerBlitz

I just fundamentally disagree with you on this. That's fine though. I respect your opinion.

I understand they have a job to do and articles to write and in this day things need to be instantaneous.

I'm just not that upset about it and respect your opinion as well.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the thing about Whaley: because of how he has handled a number of things - from Manuel to the firing to media relations - he is now public enemy #1 in western NY. I'm not saying it's fair at all, but it is what it is. He's target #1 now, and the writing is on the wall for him. If the Bills don't make the playoffs next year - and they probably won't given the brutal schedule plus massive question at QB - the pitchforks will be out and he will be fired. It will be a really ugly year. He has done himself no favors by stonewalling the press. It's pretty stupid of him, actually.

What an epic post, thanks so much! Public Enemy #1 :lol:, and make no mistake, he 100% deserves it for the very reasons you mention. His eventual fall may be ugly if you're a Whaley fan, but it will be pretty spectacular for those who believe that Karma's a B word.

My Summary Post:

-The Bills are down one buffoon head coach who was more into the glamour of the job then the work and had basically built Delta Tau Delta at OBD. The Pegula family foundation provided him an additional 2 year tryout for a TV Gig and have him a 36 month severance package to make it easier for him.

- Doug Whaley, who is either a deity or a demon depending on your perspective, is now clearly in the cross hairs of accountability for the first time in his tenure with the Bills. The next moves are all his. I have no issue with this and hope for all of Bills fandom he can deliver. I am rooting for him like hell.

- Anthony Lynn seems like a hell of a football coach who got guys to buy in this year to building an offense that was really productive and without its best player most of the season. He made adjustments for injury at WR, C, OT, RB and got great production out of guys like Kujo, Groy, Dizzy, Felton...but even he couldn't help Reggie Kardashian... He deserves a shot at the full time job -- getting the team prepared to roll the Jets this weekend with EJ at the help would be great.

- Whaley probably feels he said all he needed to say last week on WGR about Rex...but it would have been nice to deflect some of the media furor from the interim head coach. I have watched the press conference 3 times now -- Lynn did fine--he did separate the decision to bench TT from the decision to start EJ...he made it clear he was told that TT was unavailable this weekend by using the injury reference (I view it as he's got a hamstring injury --even though he doesn't) -- a slick way to stating he's not available -- and I decided to go next man up.

- Tyrod can still maximize his value by staying with the Bills...but he should renegotiate some of the guarantee into performance incentives. People forget that the Pegula's could have made him play this year for less than $3 million but paid him more than 3x that. Convenient memory lapse.

So -- bottom line -- despite some awkward moments and continued missteps that are typical of this franchise -- Bills fans should all hope Doug Whaley is up to this task and the Bills could do a lot worse than Anthony Lynn...

The only good part of Lynn being promoted (assuming he even wants the job) and having EJ forced on him by Whaley is that Whaley will be gone by next November or so when the team has 4 or 5 wins and rumors of "a toxic situation" at OBD leak out again and Lynn tells him to go F himself and benches EJ and says "go ahead and fire me."

We've seen this same show with the Sabres. Barring a miracle, Whaley is gone, it's just a matter of time.

Being "safe" can change very quickly under Terry and Kim. Darcy was kept after Lindy was fired and yet Terry was going around his back looking for guys to be GM long before Darcy was fired.

A person with a normal brain might tend to think that after watching TT against the Dolphins that Whaley might be inclined to keep him.

I know it was reported that Whaley wanted to see Rex fired and what Cardale Jones could do the last three games. I think this situation has changed somewhat and would be very surprised to see Tyrod Taylor let go.

But then, this is Doug Whaley we are talking about as the guy who used two first rounders on a WR for his QB who would get benched after three games. Meanwhile, Whaley missed on all those other receivers in the draft while also not seeing the talent in Derek Carr.

At this point, I gotta wonder if the Rams or some other NFL teams makes Lynn a better offer if he would even stay in Buffalo? What will Whaley do if nobody wants the job...which happened to Buddy Nix.

I am curious why the Buffalo Media is pushing this Anthony Lynn narrative. They will be the first to throw him and the Pegula's under the bus for promoting Lynn from running backs coach to head coach instead of looking at serious candidates.

I mean I know why - it is job security for them, but do they have to be such DB hypocrites to do their job?

Edited by What a Tuel

Pros to keeping Whaley: Seems pretty competent at his primary personnel job. Ensuring positive relationship with new HC. Also, he has more football smarts in the hiring process than those charged with it if he werent around.

Cons to keeping Whaley: Eliminates any coach who would only accept if given personnel control. Unless that person is interviewed, makes that clear, and the Pegulas intervene and promote or fire Whaley to make room.

Also, Whaley might not be as awesome as he thinks, passed on some possible franchise QBs, Two firsts for Watkins instead of one for Odell or Mack.

The Bills would have had to trade two 1sts for Mack. They drafted 9th. They could have had Odell without moving up.

Here is the thing about Whaley: because of how he has handled a number of things - from Manuel to the firing to media relations - he is now public enemy #1 in western NY. I'm not saying it's fair at all, but it is what it is. He's target #1 now, and the writing is on the wall for him. If the Bills don't make the playoffs next year - and they probably won't given the brutal schedule plus massive question at QB - the pitchforks will be out and he will be fired. It will be a really ugly year. He has done himself no favors by stonewalling the press. It's pretty stupid of him, actually.

I don't know that he is the #1 public enemy or ever will be. My take after some recent polls it looks like Russ Brandon is the #1 guy the fans don't like and Whaley just happens to be his yes man. Perhaps the way things are now working out Russ wants to keep separating himself from any accountability.

At this point, it sure looks like Lynn will be the Bills next HC and if that happens I kinda doubt he has much success unless he can hire some great assistants. Which usually doesn't happen with first-time head coaches in the NFL. So, if the pitchforks do come out at the end of next year does Brandon get to start this whole thing over again with Jim Monos as the new GM?

That's why they are fans, because they have a hard time understanding that every GM in the NFL doesn't have a 100% hit rate on every draft pick...in fact plenty of them have far fewer hits than Whaley has had...

and very few people are touching his record on FA's, waiver wire pickups, trades and practice squad grabs...

Sounds like a pretty similar path to Mike Tomlin...

was DC for a year with the Vikings then hired as HC...he's done OK for himself I think.

The Rooney family know how to win. A franchise QB, solid oline, solid defense....Solid Special teams....Loaded with Top Talent. Look at this bills roster...where are the superstars??? except Shady...

I believe he undermined Rex with ownership for reasons posted here and in those secret posts in reddit or wherever by an undisclosed Bills employee. I also believe that he (or people close to him) were responsible for leaks - including the one that completely undermined Rex and team minutes before the Pittsburgh game.

I made that post on reddit and i am not employeed by the Bills

Thanks. I appreciate it. You also are a great poster.

You probably are partially correct.

Regarding the PC, I agree with your point about PCs in general, yet, I do not like what DW did to AL. DW got what he wanted. Own it. Be a leader. Don't make Lynn have to respond for decisions that he clearly did not make.

He will Monday.

But you know the media hacks want to turn a normal game week PC into something more.

Classy of them too trying to get Lynn to throw his friend under then bus as well. But keep worship of said hacks

It is my opinion. Judging by the media reaction both in Buffalo and nationally, I don't think I'm wrong. Media coverage drives opinion. It will not be pretty unless the Bills shock the world and win next season. I don't foresee that happening.

Yeah cause this team is 0-16, 2-14, 1-15 last 3 seasons

Ooo no neverming 9-7, 8-8, 8-8

Now granted and will give you this next years schedule right now looks like a Bear

Agreed. Looking at the players available at our pick in the 1st round in 2015, I dont see anyone we really missed not taking.

If you look at that 2014 draft there are about 12 pro bowlers the Bills didn't take over Watkins. The fact is the Bills could have stayed at #9 and gotten any one of pro bowlers WR Odell Beckham Jr, DT Aaron Donald, OG Zack Martain, S HaHa Clinton-Dix, CB Jason Verrett and traded up for QB Derek Carr who was drafted 36th by the Raiders.

As for 2015, it seems to me the Bills were rather desperate for some safety help this year and all pro safety Landon Collins taken by the NY Giants at #36 could have helped in a big way.

That is if anyone in the Buffalo Bill's scouting dept or the GM knew what they were looking at in player talent.

If you look at that 2014 draft there are about 12 pro bowlers the Bills didn't take over Watkins. The fact is the Bills could have stayed at #9 and gotten any one of pro bowlers WR Odell Beckham Jr, DT Aaron Donald, OG Zack Martain, S HaHa Clinton-Dix, CB Jason Verrett and traded up for QB Derek Carr who was drafted 36th by the Raiders.

As for 2015, it seems to me the Bills were rather desperate for some safety help this year and all pro safety Landon Collins taken by the NY Giants at #36 could have helped in a big way.

That is if anyone in the Buffalo Bill's scouting dept or the GM knew what they were looking at in player talent.

I like Zach Martin, but our Oline is playing well so that wouldnt have made much difference to where we are today. OBJ still has a QB who cant see open WRs and is on a run-first team. We got a good CB with our 2nd. Maybe Carr, but good luck with this Offensive staff.

Taking a Safety at #9 who was graded as 2nd round talent. Pitchforks and cries of a "Whitner Repeat" would abound.

See. That's my point. No matter what, we'll find a way to B word about it as long as we're losing.

None of those options would look any better the way it has all played out. Rex and his staff coached this team down to .500. This team has (enough) talent. It just hasnt been used properly.

Edited by DrDareustein

Drain the Cap. Get rid of all the hangers on who hang around and overseen this mess. How could they do worse than getting rid of Whaley, Brandon, Overdorf and all the others. Serious question. How could it be worse? They're like a company teetering on bankruptcy that just won't file for it, instead trying to solve the problem with the same management.

directv-settlers-hed-2015.png

Exactly! And fwiw, Ross Tucker ridiculed the Bills this morning. He wants to know how a man who drafted EJ Manuel can be allowed to choose a new coach.

That is my opinion.

It also has been fairly well documented that he has ownership's ear now. If he wanted to keep Rex, I suspect Rex would still be the coach. It is clear to me that DW wanted Rex out and has wanted him out based on what I have read etc.

Who leaked to LaCanfora so that Rex and team were undermined minutes before most important game up to that time?

Who stood to benefit?

Who is not being blamed for not making the playoffs these past several years?

Who is not being blamed for overpaying for Sammy?

Who is not being blamed for the TT injury clause?

Who continues to have his job as GM?

Who is now floating the idea that he was not in favor of Rex's hiring even though he was quoted as completing each other's sentences.

Who is now leading the HC search?

Ok point by point

Yes it is your Opinion thats all it is.

Yes it seems like Whaley is finally in charge of football operations which is a good thing they finally got that structure figured out (doesnt matter if you like Whale or not).

Proof there was a leak. LaCanfora has a history of throwing **** against a wall and seeing what sticks

The Buffalo Bills stood to Benifit. A defensive guru that took over a top defense was given EVERYTHING he wanted, to include his Brother and Former Player, regressed it each year. That there is grounds for termination.

He gets blame however alot of his players are here and playing very well. And has yet to get to pick his coach. Now he does and now along with players how the coach performs can be tied to HIS decision.

No one was complaining Saturday about Sammys price now were they.

Alot of contracts have that injury clause and they handled it perfectly once no longer mathematically able to make the playoffs. Also Overdorf handles contracts specially those clauses, structure, payouts etc.

Good he kept his job. The talent on this team is pretty darn good. And no losing season in 3 years dispite issues talks to the assembled talent. Not to mention the read any pro about this job it mentions the talent. So he keeps his job.

Now floating that idea go research really dude it was well reported during the hiring process of Rex.

Doug Whaley is leading the search for the 1st time in his career as GM. Thats how it should be.

There point by point responses.

Breaking News

@AdamSchefter: Doug Marrone is being considered for the Bills HC vacancy. #Bills

Well played i actually had to go look at his twitter was about to blast him for getting into his agent shill mode

Dave, he's doing a press conference Monday. The press can berate him with questions then until they are blue in the face.

Let's me ask this, what's stupider: sending Lynn out there for his mandatory Wednesday press conference or the press guys asking questions to Lynn they already know the answers to?

We all knew when EJ was announced as the starter and that TT was going to sit it was management making that decision. Why ask Lynn?

BINGO AND SPOT ON

The Rooney family know how to win. A franchise QB, solid oline, solid defense....Solid Special teams....Loaded with Top Talent. Look at this bills roster...where are the superstars??? except Shady...

Yes a QB does wonders

I like Zach Martin, but our Oline is playing well so that wouldnt have made much difference to where we are today. OBJ still has a QB who cant see open WRs and is on a run-first team. We got a good CB with our 2nd. Maybe Carr, but good luck with this Offensive staff.

Taking a Safety at #9 who was graded as 2nd round talent. Pitchforks and cries of a "Whitner Repeat" would abound.

See. That's my point. No matter what, we'll find a way to B word about it as long as we're losing.

None of those options would look any better the way it has all played out. Rex and his staff coached this team down to .500. This team has (enough) talent. It just hasnt been used properly.

Our pick for 2015 was 19, not 9. Could've been a typo, but I'm just making sure.

As far as guys who I would've advocated for had it been our pick, I liked:

Laken Tomlinson

Shaq Thompson (as a box safety/whip)

Malcom Brown

Landon Collins

Devin Funchess

As far as I am concerned it is very clear. The Pegulas hired Rex and they very quickly came to the conclusion they were wrong (I think they knew that by the end of year 1 if I am honest I just think they concluded firing him after 1 year was too bad of a look). Then they fired him.

From what I know from a person I trust (and I said it on here before it was reported elsewhere) Whaley's first choice was not Rex though he indicated he could make it work. Do I believe Whaley started to doubt that this season and spoke to ownership about that? Yes.

But this is on the Pegulas. It was their error 2 years ago and their decision to rectify that now.