(at least) Three fireable offenses by Rex yesterday:

eball

I don't blame him for not calling a timeout before the field goal as i rarely think icing the kicker works. But agree with your other points. Especially having only 10 men on field

Tasker always says you never call timeout when the other team has to rush out and kick a big field goal in a hurry. It gives them more time to set up, assess the wind, footing, etc.

The timeout thing is meaningless in the big picture anyway. I've been defending Rex but he lost me yesterday. Wasted 2 timeouts in the first half on stupidity, let Lynn get too fancy with the Reggie Bush call, punting away with 4 min left was such a joke when a tie eliminates you from playoffs.

He says every coach punts there, but not when you're getting gashed all day on defense. It was like he forgot we couldn't stop them all day.

Miami was rushing to get FG team on the field and kick barely made it...by calling time out you're giving them a chance to relax and set up.....

having said that, he needs to be fired

I disagree with Tasker. By not calling timeout the kicker doesn't even have a chance to think about the situation, and we know kicking is largely mental. And, the Bills weren't ready so they didn't even really try to rush or block it! With a long FG attempt in the wind the kicker is going to have to hit it low, so it's very blockable. There were NUMEROUS reasons to call timeout there but once again, Rex doesn't have a clue.

Edited by eball

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with Tasker. By not calling timeout the kicker doesn't even have a chance to think about the situation, and we know kicking is largely mental. And, the Bills weren't ready so they didn't even really try to rush or block it! With a long FG attempt in the wind the kicker is going to have to hit it low, so it's very blockable. There were NUMEROUS reasons to call timeout there but once again, Rex doesn't have a clue.

I agree with you about rex, eball, but White DID CALL A T.O. because he knew they only had 10 players on the field. He did this *visibly and demonstrably* to the ref long before the kick. That game yesterday was an utter failure by the refs. Not granting White the TO was completely inexcusable, and the terrible, terrible non calls on the 2 obvious and blatant PIs in the endzone arguably cost the Bills 11 points. If both had been called as they should have been, the Bills would have first and goal twice from the one. They ended up getting 3 points instead of 14.

Rex has to go, but the Bills were completely jobbed by the refs yesterday. Worst I've seen in a long time. It felt like the cigarette smoking manf from the X Files was pitting in an order to the league office yesterday - it was that bad.

Edited by dave mcbride

I agree with you about rex, eball, but White DID CALL A T.O. because he knew they only had 10 players on the field. He did this *visibly and demonstrably* to the ref long before the kick. That game yesterday was an utter failure by the refs. Not granting White the TO was completely inexcusable, and the terrible, terrible non calls on the 2 obvious and blatant PIs in the endzone arguably cost the Bills 11 points. If both had been called as they should have been, the Bills would have first and goal twice from the one. They ended up getting 3 points instead of 14.

Rex has to go, but the Bills were completely jobbed by the refs yesterday. Worst I've seen in a long time. It felt like the cigarette smoking manf from the X Files was pitting in an order to the league office yesterday - it was that bad.

Gotcha

#1 -- failure to call TO before last-second Fish FG

#2 -- punting from own 41 with 4:00 to go in OT

#3 -- not knowing Gilmore couldn't return and having 10 men on field for Ajayi's 57-yard backbreaker

Individually they're awful; collectively, they're evidence of gross incompetence and grounds for immediate firing.

And then, of course, there are the continuous "communication issues" (probably because the Bills have 432 assistant coaches), and the lack of discipline and player accountability that results in a pathetic display of tackling.

I don't know how any fan can support this team if Rex isn't shown the door.

The third speaks to a much greater issue: who's responsibility was it to make sure they had the right package on the field? Rex's? Rob's? Thurman's? Who's actually in charge of the defense at that point?

Complain about individual game-time decisions all you want. In the grand scheme of things, they're minor on their own. What isn't minor is when you create an environment so muddled that it organically causes those decisions, and leads to a team being as woefully unprepared as they were yesterday. That's why he'll be fired, Not because he punted in OT.

The third speaks to a much greater issue: who's responsibility was it to make sure they had the right package on the field? Rex's? Rob's? Thurman's? Who's actually in charge of the defense at that point?

Complain about individual game-time decisions all you want. In the grand scheme of things, they're minor on their own. What isn't minor is when you create an environment so muddled that it organically causes those decisions, and leads to a team being as woefully unprepared as they were yesterday. That's why he'll be fired, Not because he punted in OT.

Yeah. The Bills sideline looks like a coaching conference. Having 105 assistant coaches might be a few too many.

#3 -- not knowing Gilmore couldn't return and having 10 men on field for Ajayi's 57-yard backbreaker

Individually they're awful; collectively, they're evidence of gross incompetence and grounds for immediate firing.

And then, of course, there are the continuous "communication issues" (probably because the Bills have 432 assistant coaches), and the lack of discipline and player accountability that results in a pathetic display of tackling.

Don't forget the bonehead challenge.

I see a guy who made some bad decisions.

On the other hand, I also see a guy who is likely to be at .500 after 2 seasons with a team that was injury plagued.

Blast away, but I think this team has changed coaches too much. Another year IMO.

As to the qb, which FA are you eying up? Cutler, Romo? No thanks...

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Injuries are definitely an issue, but I can't get over what the eye test reveals to me. It's week 16 of year 2 and 3 times we had 10 guys on the field. Yep, 3 times. I believe all led to big plays. I love the way the Steelers are coached. That's another team I see as having to deal with injuries. They play sound football despite using subs. I know they have Ben and that helps, but I'm talking defense. There is no reason for this defense to look this confused after this much time under rex except for, well Rex. I guess I can understand if he gets another year, but I don't think he's come close to showing he's a good coach. No structure, no discipline, no game management, etc.

#timetogorexandroband...

I've been seeing a lot of talk about fireable offenses and final straws around here lately. Just look at the body of work. Rex Ryan cannot manage a football game. He couldn't in New Jersey and he can't here. This is nothing new, he has shown from day 1 that he's all bluster with no backing it up.

Introductory PC

Is this thing on Because it's getting ready to be on.

I know it's been 15 years since the Bills made the playoffs. Well, get ready man, we're going. We are going.

We're going to see how many teams match our work ethic.

I know we'll lead the league in defense. That's just the way it goes.

We're going to build a bully and we're going to see if you're going to play us for sixty minutes.

Do I expect to be great on defense? Of course. There's no question

We will not build offensive game plans around our punter. I can tell you that. We hope we don't major in punting. You'll see.

We will not be pushed around. In fact, we're going to be the bullies.

I've been seeing a lot of talk about fireable offenses and final straws around here lately. Just look at the body of work. Rex Ryan cannot manage a football game. He couldn't in New Jersey and he can't here. This is nothing new, he has shown from day 1 that he's all bluster with no backing it up.

Introductory PC

I was one who wanted to believe. I just thought we would be a little undeciplined, not totally discombobulated.

Yeah. The Bills sideline looks like a coaching conference. Having 105 assistant coaches might be a few too many.

When you have such an excessive number of coaches the line of communication is not only garbled during a game but it sows confusion during the week of preparation. If you ever tried to write a report with a number of people involved in the writing the report ends up being disjointed and lacking in coherency. It's unavoidable.

I still don't know what the line of authority is among Rex, Thurmond and Rex's brother in game planning for the defense. There are just too many voices in the room and too many layers of bosses to end up with a clear and simple game plan. And the confusion shows on game day, most often in critical situations.

What's apparent is that Rex lacks organizational skills. A talent that he has never had even before he joined this team. The next question is why was he hired in the first place?

This team is being held back by rex. Our roster is much better than our record. We have committed two straight drafts to the D and have no real holes anywhere on D other than injuries at S. Uet he took them fron top 5 to bottom 10- 15.

This is a 2- 3 loss team with Jim Harbaigh at the helm. Maybe even better.

4. allowing a reverse call to Bush to further a short field goal

5. only taking 1 shot at the end zone at the end of regulation and by the hair of their chinny chin chin completing it to Clay for a TD

6. for allowing the only kicker in the NFL not to be able to kick the ball deep in the end zone to do your kick offs, absolutely killed us

7. for having the same old excuse in press conferences that you can look at his reputation, bottom line is he made our defense putrid

Introductory PC

Coach will having Dareus in the line up make a difference this time against the Dolphins running game. "All I gotta say is you wait and see"

The biggest reason he should be fired has NOTHING to do with the MIA by itself.

He was given every asset he wanted tk fix the defense 3 picks in round 1-3, every coach he wanted, Scapegoated Henderson and Roman, more assets in UFA brought into the defense only to see the same bush league issues over and over again

Only Rex cant see Dareus is being wasted two gapping in this system

Only Rex can see Hughes disappearing act has everything tk do with Brother Lardass that cant coach a defense in his life.

Who is responsible for the Mess Rex has let on many times its his defense, players have no idea who they are getting calls from.

There that is why he should be fired well come of the highlights as to why. There is more

Edited by MAJBobby

If we were to judge yesterday's game in a vacuum, I would agree fully with you. However, the ref-ing simply exacerbated an underperforming D, what has become a symptom Ryan's coaching.

I see a guy who made some bad decisions.

On the other hand, I also see a guy who is likely to be at .500 after 2 seasons with a team that was injury plagued.

Blast away, but I think this team has changed coaches too much. Another year IMO.

As to the qb, which FA are you eying up? Cutler, Romo? No thanks...

Merry Christmas, everyone!

diddly diddly dumb