Punting on 4th and 3 with 4 mins to go in OT?

Jerry Jabber

It's been few and far between that the offense has played very well in both phases (rushing and passing) this season. Today the Bills had 589 yards of offense. With the offense finally on a roll and able to move the chains, I thought it was a boneheaded and gutless move to punt at that time. The whole season is on the line as a loss or tie would have eliminated the Bills. Instead of going for it, Rex sent in Schmidt (who has been terrible) to try and pin the Dolphins deep, but ends up having another crappy punt. Next play, the Bills D only has 10 players on the field on Ajayi runs for a huge gain. For decisions like that, it's more proof that Rex is not a good HC and needs to go.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That move was ponderous. His D was a train wreck all day. Yes, they failed to convert 4th and 1 earlier, which probably swayed his decision making here, but the season was over if they gave the ball back to Miami. No one in their right mind would have banked on the defense to carry the day there.

That move was ponderous. His D was a train wreck all day. Yes, they failed to convert 4th and 1 earlier, which probably swayed his decision making here, but the season was over if they gave the ball back to Miami. No one in their right mind would have banked on the defense to carry the day there.

He tried to say they had some stops. Come on. It is situational football. 4 to go in OT in a must win game, not never give up the ball. Only way to score is to have the ball. The defense inspired no faith in the crowd. I am sure the guys on offense were not happy. Taylor had his best game as a Bills QB and it was for naught.

Punting in that spot, under these conditions, was one of the dumbest game-day tactical decisions in the last few years. And man, that is saying something.

Not just brainless. Gutless too!

When your job is on the line it was an inexcusable move. Bad as not getting the play in on time on the 4th and 1 play. Rex is bad in time management and game situational decisions

Worse, Rex Ryan called a time out AFTER the ball was snapped on the game tying FG that Miami scored to put the game into OT.

Huh?

:devil:

He shouldn't have been calling time out anyway...Miami was rushing to get the ball kicked...calling timeout would have given them time to relax and set up......regardless that he made the kick anyway

It wasn't a bad call.

If it wasn't week 16. A loss or tie both eliminate the team so scoring is a must. There is more to situational game calling than what is happening in the moment. Relying on a defense that wasn't stopping them all day was a bad move that unsurprisingly didn't work.

He shouldn't have been calling time out anyway...Miami was rushing to get the ball kicked...calling timeout would have given them time to relax and set up......regardless that he made the kick anyway

He said he had been calling time out and the players on the field had been trying to get a time out long before the kick. He finally went up to the official and started yelling time out. I believe him. I've seen refs standing in front of coaches staring at them waiting for the timeout. This guy was totally ignoring Ryan. Everybody in football knows it's common to "freeze" a kicker, and the Bills were going to use the time out to get his field goal defense/blocking team on the field. They got screwed again by the ref. Screwed. You'll read about it in a day or so. An apology is forthcoming.

It wasn't a bad call.

If it wasn't week 16. A loss or tie both eliminate the team so scoring is a must. There is more to situational game calling than what is happening in the moment. Relying on a defense that wasn't stopping them all day was a bad move that unsurprisingly didn't work.

This is situational game calling...what is happening at the moment...it was a horrible decision...and yes, it was a bad call

He said he had been calling time out and the players on the field had been trying to get a time out long before the kick. He finally went up to the official and started yelling time out. I believe him. I've seen refs standing in front of coaches staring at them waiting for the timeout. This guy was totally ignoring Ryan. Everybody in football knows it's common to "freeze" a kicker, and the Bills were going to use the time out to get his field goal defense/blocking team on the field. They got screwed again by the ref. Screwed. You'll read about it in a day or so. An apology is forthcoming.

I wasn't questioning that part...why give a team that was in a hurry to get a FG attempt more time to set up?