The 12 Best Coaching Candidates...what about Dave Toub?

Rubes

I have no idea if Toub can be a head coach and I'd have my concerns with a 15 year special teams coach that never even became a coordinator. However after finding this article and learning a little bit about how he spent time wisely by participating in other areas of the team - I could see why he could. The #1 quality of every great head coach is leadership.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/why-dave-toub-deserves-a-head-coaching-job/

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did he do?

Broke into a woman's house through the window, and jumped into bed with her. The police were called, and he was still in the bed. Yes, I understand there is potentially more to the story. We have no clue if there are any other circumstances surrounding this incident. There might be more than meets the eye. However, this is also the kind of thing that could get dragged up again. Next thing you know you are forced to fire the guy. If ugly details ever do surface it could become too much of scandal for my liking. As I said, there might be more to it. At the same time plenty of guys are doing prison time for similar offenses. Cooter happened to be a former QB at Tennessee so magically the records got wiped out. It's just something would definitely scare me away from hiring him.

Interesting idea. Most HCs are either the de facto OC or the de facto DC. A football guy like Toub with reputedly good leadership skills could hold his OC and DC accountable for their results. A typical HC isn't usually good at holding himself accountable in his coordinator role.

Marv Levy was Special Teams!

Good post! Last time a Special Team guy lead Bills we were in 4 straight Super Bowls. Guess what Marv spent time as HC in Kansas. Bring in Haslett as DC and Reich OC and you might have something. Reed WR, Thurman Thomas RB's, Smerlas Defense line. At least us old guys can reminisce.

I have no idea if Toub can be a head coach and I'd have my concerns with a 15 year special teams coach that never even became a coordinator. However after finding this article and learning a little bit about how he spent time wisely by participating in other areas of the team - I could see why he could. The #1 quality of every great head coach is leadership.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/why-dave-toub-deserves-a-head-coaching-job/

Ah, Special Teams is a Coordinator, it is 1/3 of a NFL Team

Edited by USABuffaloFan

Broke into a woman's house through the window, and jumped into bed with her. The police were called, and he was still in the bed. Yes, I understand there is potentially more to the story. We have no clue if there are any other circumstances surrounding this incident. There might be more than meets the eye. However, this is also the kind of thing that could get dragged up again. Next thing you know you are forced to fire the guy. If ugly details ever do surface it could become too much of scandal for my liking. As I said, there might be more to it. At the same time plenty of guys are doing prison time for similar offenses.

Who hasn't done that?!!

Rubes - interesting article. Josh McDaniel is intriguing. Lots of HC over history are better their second time around. In retrospect, he was probably not ready at the time, but he's now been under one of the best coaches in history. I know Crennel didn't succeed, but is a good coordinator.

I have no opinion on Toub, as I just don't know his body of work. I wouldn't summarily dismiss ST coaches. As a previous poster mentioned, John Harbaugh is a very good HC, and was ST.

I'll pass on McDaniel or any other Bellichick assistant...they don't pan out outside of New England...

Marv Levy was Special Teams!

Good post! Last time a Special Team guy lead Bills we were in 4 straight Super Bowls. Guess what Marv spent time as HC in Kansas. Bring in Haslett as DC and Reich OC and you might have something. Reed WR, Thurman Thomas RB's, Smerlas Defense line. At least us old guys can reminisce.

Ah, Special Teams is a Coordinator, it is 1/3 of a NFL Team

Haslett has been terrible as a DC...why would you want another retread? No thanks, I'll take a young up and coming smart defensive coach who is in tune with how the game is played today

Edited by matter2003

Broke into a woman's house through the window, and jumped into bed with her. The police were called, and he was still in the bed. Yes, I understand there is potentially more to the story. We have no clue if there are any other circumstances surrounding this incident. There might be more than meets the eye. However, this is also the kind of thing that could get dragged up again. Next thing you know you are forced to fire the guy. If ugly details ever do surface it could become too much of scandal for my liking. As I said, there might be more to it. At the same time plenty of guys are doing prison time for similar offenses. Cooter happened to be a former QB at Tennessee so magically the records got wiped out. It's just something would definitely scare me away from hiring him.

probably drunk, no one just stays in the bed, seems like a long time ago. I'm not advocating for him as I liked other guys on the list but just saying.