non bowl playing

nuklz2594

fournette and mccaffery have decided not to play in bowl games. i may be wrong,but when you have a full ride scholarship, isn't there a contract? is this a precedent for let's say, pensacola state, with a 3-6 record, and a guy who has nfl potential, who has a draft number, decides to shut it down? sorry for the run on sentence.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football is a business to the participants. It's smart of them to not risk injury any more than they need to. No idea about contracts, but even if there was all they would just have to say is they tweaked an ankle or have the flu.

Talking of millions of dollars, I'd do the same in their place.

I think even Clowney shut it down a few years ago, in the regular season too. I can kind of understand it for the running backs. They take a beating and their shelf life in the NFL is usually short. If it's an inconsequential bowl game I'm ok with it. I don't like it at all if/when they start skipping regular season games.

fournette and mccaffery have decided not to play in bowl games. i may be wrong,but when you have a full ride scholarship, isn't there a contract? is this a precedent for let's say, pensacola state, with a 3-6 record, and a guy who has nfl potential, who has a draft number, decides to shut it down? sorry for the run on sentence.

No contract...as a matter of fact most "grants in aid" (athletic scholarships" ) are a series of 4 one year grants..and can be taken away from the athlete at just about any time...like when a new coach comes in. But a student-athlete does not have that same right.

Seems it ain't ever a problem or an "ethical" dilemma when a coach takes a new job and bails on his previous team and does not coach in a bowl game...but again if a player does he is quitting on his team.

Bowls are nothing more now than glorified exhibitions so the NCAA and schools can make even more money off the backs off non-paid employees....

As you can tell i hate the hypocricy of the NCAA...so any player that is doing what is best for him and career i say A-OK!!

BTW, without the corrupt agreement between the NFL and NCAA...Fournette would be playing in the NFL this year...so good for him for sitting this one out.

Edited by plenzmd1

Fournett and McCaffery were run into the ground by their respective teams. I have no issue with them sitting out, instead of costing themselves millions of dollars potentially with an injury in a meaningless bowl game.

It's a really interesting trade-off, and it's tough to blame them for making the decisions they have:

Securing near-certain financial well-being for your family

versus

Honoring your commitment to the college program and your teammates that enabled you to get to that point

It's a really interesting trade-off, and it's tough to blame them for making the decisions they have:

Securing near-certain financial well-being for your family

versus

Honoring your commitment to the college program and your teammates that enabled you to get to that point

But see that the rub Cereal..the NCAA does not have that same commitment back to the player.

But see that the rub Cereal..the NCAA does not have that same commitment back to the player.

Bingo, nor does the school.

If they found someone better they would kick you to the curb so fast.

We all need to stop pretending these schools and the NCAA care about these kids. They care about what money these kids bring in.

No contract...as a matter of fact most "grants in aid" (athletic scholarships" ) are a series of 4 one year grants..and can be taken away from the athlete at just about any time...like when a new coach comes in. But a student-athlete does not have that same right.

Seems it ain't ever a problem or an "ethical" dilemma when a coach takes a new job and bails on his previous team and does not coach in a bowl game...but again if a player does he is quitting on his team.

Bowls are nothing more now than glorified exhibitions so the NCAA and schools can make even more money off the backs off non-paid employees....

As you can tell i hate the hypocricy of the NCAA...so any player that is doing what is best for him and career i say A-OK!!

BTW, without the corrupt agreement between the NFL and NCAA...Fournette would be playing in the NFL this year...so good for him for sitting this one out.

I don't agree with the bolded. Coaches get heat for it too. You might just pay a little more attention to the noise when it's the players getting the criticism. I agree that the NCAA is fugged up though.

Edit. I have no issue with them sitting out. It's a smart business decision.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

I'll never begrudge a player who is going pro from sitting out meaningless games. If the NCAA wants guys to play, especially guys of this caliber, pay them (and no, a scholarship when the football program won't let them track to a meaningful degree anyway does not qualify as payment). Obviously Smith got a lot of attention last year, but guys like Marcus Lattimore and Ifo Ekpre-Olomu likely lost millions between them due to injuries towards the end of stellar collegiate careers recently also.

I'll never begrudge a player who is going pro from sitting out meaningless games. If the NCAA wants guys to play, especially guys of this caliber, pay them (and no, a scholarship when the football program won't let them track to a meaningful degree anyway does not qualify as payment). Obviously Smith got a lot of attention last year, but guys like Marcus Lattimore and Ifo Ekpre-Olomu likely lost millions between them due to injuries towards the end of stellar collegiate careers recently also.

That's what bothers me. For most of these players, those games are not meaningless games. They will be the highpoint of the football careers of many of the players. Personally, I think it is wrong for higher profile players to sit out these games. In my opinion, if a player sits out a bowl game or even decides to leave school early for the NFL, they should be required to reimburse the school for any and all athletic scholarships provided to them.

That's what bothers me. For most of these players, those games are not meaningless games. They will be the highpoint of the football careers of many of the players. Personally, I think it is wrong for higher profile players to sit out these games. In my opinion, if a player sits out a bowl game or even decides to leave school early for the NFL, they should be required to reimburse the school for any and all athletic scholarships provided to them.

And those players know that. They know that this is it for them, they should have prepared for this much like the McCafferys and Fournetts are doing.

Should the schools as well as the NCAA give a % of the money back that they earned off of that player too?

Should the schools and NCAA pay back an money made to a guy after an injury

Edited by CountDorkula

First let's institute a rule where if a coach walks away from his contract, he has to pay back everything he's earned, including apparel deals and endorsements.

Then you have your guys like Shaq Lawson who played for muliple injuries in his teams bowl game....you know cuz that is what team leaders do.

I would want NO part of a player that intentionally bails on his team for personal reasons.

this definitely aligns to Shaq's personality. There is a difference though between the playoff bowl games Clemson was in last year and the bowls that LSU and Stanford are in this year. It doesn't mean that fournette and mccaffrey won't be great. I think it's a very individual and personal decision. Edited by YoloinOhio

this definitely aligns to Shaq's personality. There is a difference though between the playoff bowl games Clemson was in last year and the bowls that LSU and Stanford are in this year. It doesn't mean that fournette and mccaffrey won't be great. I think it's a very individual and personal decision.

Yolo I agree with this

When I look at this team what is the big thing this team is missing (besides the horse flue convo's about qb)

Playmakers

Leaders

It is my hope that Shaq grows into both of these things in his 2nd year.