Gus Bradley as DC + Offensive minded HC=Immediate Success

Yeezus

This is the perfect offseason plan the Pegulas should be after. Sign Bradley as our DC and he will transform this defense into a top 5 unit again. We practically play a 4-3 defense half the time anyways, it would not be a tough transition.

We need a offensive minded HC that knows how to develop a QB and establishes a successful passing attack. Lynn is decent but his passing offense is a joke. Our RB is absent when Shady is not in the lineup so it goes to show you why we have been #1 in rushing 2 years in a row, and its solely bc of our all pro RB.

Make this happen Terry, you messed up with Rex but now its your chance to fix the mistakes.

it's a plan, yes. Far from perfect

Not that I am agreeing with the OP at all. But putting down his idea as stupid and silly that team management couldn't select the best OC, or DC, and a HC, rather than hiring a HC and trusting his judgement to select them all is a little harsh. I have always felt that the qualities of being a great OC or DC did not necessarily equate to the qualities of being a great HC. Maybe redefining exactly what a HC does and what qualities makes a great HC needs to be considered. It may not currently be done, but just maybe thinking outside the box and being innovative might just work. Like 17 years of doing the same thing has worked so well for the Bills.

Just because something has not been done that way before does not automatically mean it would not work. Football tactics, plays, management methods evolve every year. Someone once took a chance and allowed minorities to play Pro sports, it had not been done before. Human history shows that advancements only happen when someone tries something different, and if they succeed, we all move forward. The Wright Brothers were laughed at in the beginning, Henry Ford was laughed at.

Changing the way things are done on coach selections could fail miserably, but also it might not. I would not be upset if the ownership dared to try something new and innovative. After all,17 YEARS of doing the same thing has worked so well for the Bills! I would prefer that and failure to doing exactly the same thing again and yet another year of failure. At least the failure would have amounted to an effort instead of just another repeat performance

I'm not agreeing with the specifics of the OP, just saying trying something new is not necessarily always a bad thing just because it has never been tried before.

in this case it is. No one would take a HC job and not be allowed to hire his coordinators.

This is the perfect offseason plan the Pegulas should be after. Sign Bradley as our DC and he will transform this defense into a top 5 unit again. We practically play a 4-3 defense half the time anyways, it would not be a tough transition.

We need a offensive minded HC that knows how to develop a QB and establishes a successful passing attack. Lynn is decent but his passing offense is a joke. Our RB is absent when Shady is not in the lineup so it goes to show you why we have been #1 in rushing 2 years in a row, and its solely bc of our all pro RB.

Make this happen Terry, you messed up with Rex but now its your chance to fix the mistakes.

You trust the pegula's to be able to do this? after hiring Rex?

It would never happen. But if Rex could put aside his ego and work with Gus Bradley (or the best DCoordinator available) and let him run the defense while Rex leads the TEAM, id be 100% ok with Rex, Lynn, and Bradley as our staff next season. Pipe dream, i know

Edited by bobobonators

How did that vaunted Schwartz defense do against the real teams again?

Rex deserves some blame, since he is a "defensive guru."

but to pretend like these things happen in a vacuum is a mistake. Your first two draft picks (both of whom were supposed to come right in and start on your defense) got hurt. One will not play at all until 2017. One is clearly playing like a guy who missed camp, missed the training program, and did not practice until October.

Then your $100 million man got suspended and then returned only to injure himself and miss some more time.

Aaron Williams being on the field makes the defense a lot better. When he went down the Dolphins walked all over the defense. Safety is a key position on Rex's D.

So That's 4 key players you're taking off the field for most or all of the season, on a team that is not deep or talented already on D.

How did that vaunted Schwartz defense do against the real teams again?

Rex deserves some blame, since he is a "defensive guru."

but to pretend like these things happen in a vacuum is a mistake. Your first two draft picks (both of whom were supposed to come right in and start on your defense) got hurt. One will not play at all until 2017. One is clearly playing like a guy who missed camp, missed the training program, and did not practice until October.

Then your $100 million man got suspended and then returned only to injure himself and miss some more time.

Aaron Williams being on the field makes the defense a lot better. When he went down the Dolphins walked all over the defense. Safety is a key position on Rex's D.

So That's 4 key players you're taking off the field for most or all of the season, on a team that is not deep or talented already on D.

Against real teams like Peyton's Broncos and Rodger's Packers?

I don't know why Bevell gets so much praise as to me the Seattle offense is far from great even when they had Lynch they never had a strong passing game. Though the thought of Bevell with Bradley is intriguing combo although even though Bevell's been a QB coach in the past we still need to find one as to me as we saw when Hacket was here, one guy alone isn't good enough.

I don't think they're great but I think outside of Wilson and Graham they're a little limited in talent as well. That OL is bottom of the barrel. The WRs all have their niche but they're not stars or gamebreakers. Rawls is a decent back but again not a game changer.

I think the biggest appeal to me with Bevell is the possibility of Bradley as DC, and you hope he hires an OC and lets the OC do their thing. I want a head coach who delegates to his coordinators and spends game day focusing on game management.

We need a John Harbaugh type coach, married to no system. A leader, a no BS man without the ego and with the ability to change and adapt.

Close enough.... :thumbsup:

It would never happen. But if Rex could put aside his ego and work with Gus Bradley (or the best DCoordinator available) and let him run the defense while Rex leads the TEAM, id be 100% ok with Rex, Lynn, and Bradley as our staff next season. Pipe dream, i know

I actually like that thought. Pass the pipe over this way :thumbsup:

Edited by BmarvB

We should have hired Jim Schwartz as HC. He's from the Belichick coaching tree and knows how to fit systems to players.Not the other way around. That was Wade's genius as well. The only lynchpins he needed were Ted Washington and Sam Adams. (The player not the beer)

We should have hired Jim Schwartz as HC. He's from the Belichick coaching tree and knows how to fit systems to players.Not the other way around. That was Wade's genius as well. The only lynchpins he needed were Ted Washington and Sam Adams. (The player not the beer)

Enough with the Schwartz love. He was already the head coach of a Lions team with great talent on the defensive side of the ball. His teams were plagued by a lack of discipline and poor game management. Those are the same issues as Rex Ryan, except with a 4-3 base defense instead.

I disagree....

I think Bradley's success in Seattle had to do with having a defense loaded with superstars.

You need talent. The Bills do not have great talent on defense.

The talent in Seattle has long been overrated.

They had about 5 exceptional players on D and the rest were quite replaceable(and they've turned a lot of them over without a big drop).

The Bills talent is probably more talented than Seattle in the front 9.....10 if you count the nickel DB......... but the safeties are an issue.

The talent in Seattle has long been overrated.

They had about 5 exceptional players on D and the rest were quite replaceable(and they've turned a lot of them over without a big drop).

The Bills talent is probably more talented than Seattle in the front 9.....10 if you count the nickel DB......... but the safeties are an issue.

I know the secondary wasn't tested much against the Steelers and Browns, but Corey White hasn't been a total disaster at safety, at least so far.

I know the secondary wasn't tested much against the Steelers and Browns, but Corey White hasn't been a total disaster at safety, at least so far.

That was my thought as well.

Certainly not counting on him turning into a starter but it would be nice.

The fact that a safety can be found in your own CB reserve......or in the case of George Wilson.......a camp fodder WR.......is one reason why deciding to put big $ equity into the safety position is difficult.

Edited by #BADOL

Well, it's finally come down to this. I hate you Bills for making me agree with Yeezus.

I dont know about hiring a DC first, but I do agree there could be some decent coaching candidates available if they choose to make a move. And that coaching staff needs to be able to develop QBs.

Not that I am agreeing with the OP at all. But putting down his idea as stupid and silly that team management couldn't select the best OC, or DC, and a HC, rather than hiring a HC and trusting his judgement to select them all is a little harsh. I have always felt that the qualities of being a great OC or DC did not necessarily equate to the qualities of being a great HC. Maybe redefining exactly what a HC does and what qualities makes a great HC needs to be considered. It may not currently be done, but just maybe thinking outside the box and being innovative might just work. Like 17 years of doing the same thing has worked so well for the Bills.

Just because something has not been done that way before does not automatically mean it would not work. Football tactics, plays, management methods evolve every year. Someone once took a chance and allowed minorities to play Pro sports, it had not been done before. Human history shows that advancements only happen when someone tries something different, and if they succeed, we all move forward. The Wright Brothers were laughed at in the beginning, Henry Ford was laughed at.

Changing the way things are done on coach selections could fail miserably, but also it might not. I would not be upset if the ownership dared to try something new and innovative. After all,17 YEARS of doing the same thing has worked so well for the Bills! I would prefer that and failure to doing exactly the same thing again and yet another year of failure. At least the failure would have amounted to an effort instead of just another repeat performance

I'm not agreeing with the specifics of the OP, just saying trying something new is not necessarily always a bad thing just because it has never been tried before.

Someone just mentioned it has been 17 years since we made the playoffs. I am a season ticket holder all those years and never realized that. I wish someone would have mentioned that in one of their posts. I did not realize we have been doing the same thing for 17 years. We need to change things in a hurry. Obviously, Rob Johnson is not working out