A few thoughts about the Browns Game (BillFromNYC Tribute)

Virgil

Another mid-December game where we aren't mathematically eliminated in the books and a nice reminder that we aren't the Browns kind of bad...

1. Shady - This was the kind of game where you don't have any expectations and just get to sit back and enjoy the show. I almost feel bad for him playing on this team because he would be a real difference maker on a playoff team. His cuts and speed make me believe that he has at least a few more years in him and I really hope we will be able to take advantage of that. Hats off to him and his season so far. It's been a good ride.

2. Offensive Scheme - This game solidified what I believed about this offense, even when everyone was hurt. It doesn't matter who our WR's are out there for the most part. It does on obvious passing plays where we need someone to step up and beat their man, but that's the only time. We are not a passing team by design and today showed that. This gives Tyrod a slight reprieve to me because I really don't think many QB's would look great in this system. Don't get me wrong, he still needs to hit his throws when called upon, but this team wants to run the ball first. Unfortunately, rushing teams don't win enough to merit playoffs much anymore and it's an outdated system. We are winning the rushing games and it's not translating overall. It also hurts us when it comes time to 2 min drills and playing from behind. We just aren't schemed for it.

3. Clay - Sure was nice to see him be the TE we signed in the offseason. They made a point to showcase him today and he did not disappoint. Great adjustment coming back for that TD and overall nice job of TT to throw him open. Like many other things today, while it was fun to watch him catch everything thrown his way, in abundance, it was also frustrating to see the potential wasted.

4. Swing in this tree
Oh I am bounce around so well
Branch to branch,
limb to limb you see
All in a day's dream
I'm stuck
Like the other monkeys here

5. Lorax - Guy just continues to prove he's the defensive MVP, although Kyle is making a run for it. Guy just plays hard all game, unlike a certain Brown, and he never gives up. He's the kinda guy you want to own his jersey and I'm happy to see him finding success at this point in his career.

6. TT - I think it was said somewhere else, but it's amazing to see what he can do with time behind the line of scrimmage. I think he made every throw that people complained he can't make today. He had some low-balls today, but overall was pretty on point. The first drive that ended in a FG where he scrambled out of bounds was just a crap play and makes me think more and more that Lynn is a one trick pony. I was frustrated with TT until I saw the replay. In any case, TT's numbers were exactly what they asked of him today with both passing and rushing. Love him or hate him, this is the game he's being asked to play. I would really like to see him in whatever scheme we have next year, assuming coaching turnover.

7. Secondary - Got to give props to Darby and Gilmore. Both handled their receivers today with a little help with bad passing by RG3. Well timed hits and break ups for both. You never felt like we were going to lose control of this game and I give them a lot of credit for that.

8. The Browns - No matter how bad we feel about our team and the futility of not making the playoffs, it was nice to know we aren't that team. The level of talent out there is rough. We might not be playoff ready, but they aren't even close. I can at least appreciate that we are a slightly below average team and still only a few pieces away.

9. Rex - In a game where I think most players expect him to be gone at the end of the season and we are basically eliminated, I felt like most of the team showed up to day (cough Brown). However, I just didn't really see much passion out of him today and I think today was more of a "we can't let the Browns beat us" more than anything else. Today's game didn't change anything about his job security and, if anything, just showed where exactly he fits as a coach. Average.

10. Refs - Anyone else think these guys are just getting worse. It's nice to see that we aren't the only ones getting hosed on calls, but there are just some big misses. I've never seen a facemask call get reversed with the explanation of saying it was all shoulder. I mean, how did they come to that conclusion. For guys wanting full time jobs, they aren't putting a great resume together. Or maybe this is just the crew you get when the Bills play the Browns.

On to next week where maybe we can play spoiler and Squish the Fish!!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Tyrod- this game shows that if we do let him go this offseason, we better have a good QB ready to take his place. Cleveland has horrendous QB play and they are hopeless.

Agreed. It has to remain TT's job until somebody takes it from him. Does that mean give him that upcoming payday? Hell no! He hasn't earned that, but he can be brought back under an incentive laden one year 'show me something new' deal if possible.

RG3 has a little something left, but he has absolutely nothing to work with in Cleveland.

People are going to flame me, but for about the 5th game in a row, Stephon Gilmore was one of the two best players on the field.

I hope they don't , but some people would rather he play crappy than admit he's playing very well. We have enough issues on defense to deal with the offseason, no reason to add to it by not signing Gilmore.

Agreed. It has to remain TT's job until somebody takes it from him. Does that mean give him that upcoming payday? Hell no! He hasn't earned that, but he can be brought back under an incentive laden one year 'show me something new' deal if possible.

RG3 has a little something left, but he has absolutely nothing to work with in Cleveland.

The problem is not whether he has earned it. He simply has a contract. The Bills have to either cut him or pay him according to the contract. In a QB Needy NFL, I am sure some team will throw him money if you let him on the FA market. The bills will have to suck up that bonus and pay unless they clean house.

It is always fun to say let someone go. BUt who is the replacement.

Agreed part 2.

TT may not be the long term answer but at a reasonable price he's worth keeping around until we strike QB gold.

The question is, if it's not the dline, if it's not the linebackers, and now it's not the corners....then what is it?

All that's left is scheme

17.5 mil isn't that much and we aren't getting a better option.

The offense works, the defense doesn't. What do you do? Without Rex, there is no more bad defense, but there isn't Lynn, TT and his conservative offense either.

What does Pegula do? Tell Rex to ditch his system, get a new DC (maybe Bradley) and keep TT and the offense? Can Rex's ego handle that?

Both him and Woods were dressed to run block.

It worked

The offense works, the defense doesn't. What do you do? Without Rex, there is no more bad defense, but there isn't Lynn, TT and his conservative offense either.

What does Pegula do? Tell Rex to ditch his system, get a new DC (maybe Bradley) and keep TT and the offense? Can Rex's ego handle that?

that won't happen. If Rex stays , his system stays. And we draft heavy on defense.

If pegs tells him do it, does he quit? If he quits does he get paid??Hmmm

Probably, and not sure. I don't think that happens, if they keep Rex, i think you need to let him run it his way. If you change the defensive system, you get rid of Rex.

This team wins out Rex isnt going anywhere

and that may be the right move. But the defense needs to be addressed in the draft and free agency. Besides the coaching, the talent isn't there.