Adam Schefter: Rex Ryan to be fired end of season

Yeezus

Agreed. My biggest fear with Rex since the day they hired him was his tendency for feast or famine. Never struck me as a details guy, the exact opposite of Doug Micro-Managing-Hardass Marrone.

Well, we've seen the feasts and we've seen the famines over the last 29 games, and the inconsistency has not been in favor of our winning percentage.

The insane part is: there is an enormous likelihood that he'll be the first Bills coach to not have a losing record since Wade. And there's still a snowball's chance he breaks the drought this year. :wacko:

Good post and I respect your take on the situation. I wanted to love Rex but it just never got better.

I also like it as a Bills fan that the bar should be set higher. We aren't a poor little city that is trying to keep its team. We have owners with a ton of money who want to win. There are more blue chip players than we have had since 2002. The bar should be high.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure they have, but national guys always get the major ones for all teams, not just the Bills.

I am an ex pat down here in Miami. There is a guy (Barry Jackson) who works for the Miami Herald. He has a column called sports buzz. It is choc full of great information - almost every day. As a Miami Hurricane fan, I make it a point to read each of his columns.

Easier said than done, but I do agree that people need to reset their expectations and not heap 17 years on whomever. Fact is we have a good chance at a winning record this year, yet our team has regularly gotten booed at home, because we all know we're missing the playoffs again. I'm not sure what other fanbases are like, but does a .500 or 9-7 team get booed at home regularly?

this is dumb comment, they got booed for multiple three n outs in a row resulting in losing games, also "they" means taylor. also your going to criticize a stadium full of people as if its their fault the team was playing like crap again? should they all just accept crap because we might go 9-7? big f ing deal!

Good post and I respect your take on the situation. I wanted to love Rex but it just never got better.

I also like it as a Bills fan that the bar should be set higher. We aren't a poor little city that is trying to keep its team. We have owners with a ton of money who want to win. There are more blue chip players than we have had since 2002. The bar should be high.

I go back to the Jauron days. Earlier somebody reposted a column after the 2009 6-3 loss to the Browns. Thinking back on those rosters...Jesus.

We are lightyears from having rosters as woeful as those. I think the bar is very much higher--as evident by being on the doorstep of three consecutive non-losing seasons for the first time since the drought began, and still being pissed and displeased with what happens on Sundays. Baby steps, to be sure. Just think back to 2006-11 and realize how far we've come. We're not that far off.

Rex didn't reinvent himself. Great coaches consistently do that.

By not doing that it cost him his job with the Jets and soon with the Bills.

Bolded for clarity. It was always him that needed re-inventing, not his style of football. You can win playing the way he wants to play. But I believe that as a person/leader/head coach, he's lacking the kind of organization/focus needed to get that horse power to the rear tires. Something's missing, but it's not tactical.

I go back to the Jauron days. Earlier somebody reposted a column after the 2009 6-3 loss to the Browns. Thinking back on those rosters...Jesus.

We are lightyears from having rosters as woeful as those. I think the bar is very much higher--as evident by being on the doorstep of three consecutive non-losing seasons for the first time since the drought began, and still being pissed and displeased with what happens on Sundays. Baby steps, to be sure. Just think back to 2006-11 and realize how far we've come. We're not that far off.

I believe we were the last 2 Jauron supporters on the planet. But in terms of the talent on the roster, Jauron did a much better job of getting production out of his than Rex did with his. It's a sad situation.

Bolded for clarity. It was always him that needed re-inventing, not his style of football. You can win playing the way he wants to play. But I believe that as a person/leader/head coach, he's lacking the kind of organization/focus needed to get that horse power to the rear tires. Something's missing, but it's not tactical.

Maybe his dyslexia is just too much for him to handle. Maybe that is why he brought in his brother.

Stop being positive, not allowed under the TOS I think. :D

Don Shula re-invented himself when they were lucky enough to draft Dan Marino.

No coach (Rex or whoever) is going to be able to re-invent himself or rely on the passing game unless and until we get a very good QB. Unfortunately, they are fewer and farther between in the NFL and are not being developed as such in college.

It is sad to say because I like TT as a person very much, but I never thought that I would miss Kyle Orton. Ugh.

Edited by Peter

I believe we were the last 2 Jauron supporters on the planet. But in terms of the talent on the roster, Jauron did a much better job of getting production out of his than Rex did with his. It's a sad situation.

I believe history has been kind to our takes. It was patently clear that we were playing NFL football with guys who might have struggled to start in the CFL--though JP Losman did lead the Las Vegas Locomotives to the first ever UFL Championship. Jauron got a bum rap. He really did.

Stop being positive, not allowed under the TOS I think. :D

If I'm going down in violation of the TOS, I'm want nothing but rainbows and sunshine shooting from my ass.

No coach (Rex or whoever) is going to be able to re-invent himself or rely on the passing game unless and until we get a very good QB. Unfortunately, they are fewer and farther between in the NFL and are not being developed as such in college.

Rex. like others, bring in their guys as assistants. These are usually the same guys that got you fired. If he stays, long shot, he has to purge the defense staff starting with his brother. Bring in new guys with passion, attention to detail and a drive to win. Reinvention is akin to adapt to the changing scene. Not many can do that.

It is sad to say because I like TT as a person very much, but I never thought that I would miss Kyle Orton. Ugh.

Marino? ****. I would have settled for Chad Pennington. Since 2014, all this team has needed is a top 18 QB. That we've been unable fulfill that ask...I need a drink.

We still are on the Cowher train? Dude hasn't coached in a decade. He'd be very Rex like and doesn't have Dick LeBeau to carry his team.

Get a young guy with an offensive mind and a veteran NFL DC.

I agree but he was clearly lobbying for the job before our week 2 game on the TNF broadcast.

Agreed. My biggest fear with Rex since the day they hired him was his tendency for feast or famine. Never struck me as a details guy, the exact opposite of Doug Micro-Managing-Hardass Marrone.

Read the book "Collision Low Crossers", from an embedded documentarian with the Jets during Rex's tenure. Rex basically runs a frat house.

What good coach would want to come here? We are a coaching graveyard with two recent head coaches quitting! We also don't have a starting caliber QB and we could be unsettled at the position if Taylor is not back. Sprinkle in a GM who is on his third head coach and who has had issues with the past two head coaches that were hired during his tenure. Any potential head coaching candidate is not going to like the current situation, particularly if he feels that Whaley could be next to go at some point (meaning the next GM will want his own guy as head coach).

All of the above will result in us ending up with Lynn as our head coach in 2017.