Salary Cap to increase 10-15 million in 2017

bobobonators

1. Extend Woods now

2. Extend Gilmore or tell him he is getting the tag.

3. Renegotiate with TT. He has no leverage.

4. Take a shot at signing Z. Brown now. He is a versatile LB and can play in the 4-3 with the new HC.

5. Cut P. Brown.

6. Don't overspend on Lorax. He was a good story for 6 games but he has regressed back top his natural state. The cosmos always seeks balance. He is a quality player but I don't think he has a spot in a 4-3 defense other than as a back-up pass rushing DE. Now his value as a special teasm guy is worth spending money on, but not that much.

7. If they have the room, make a poisoned pill contract offer to a restricted free agent RT.

8. Hope that Ragland can be at least a two down middle LB. If he is good enough to stay on the field with Z.Brown in the nickel they will be set at LB.

1. Extend Woods now

4. Take a shot at signing Z. Brown now. He is a versatile LB and can play in the 4-3 with the new HC.

5. Cut P. Brown.

6. Don't overspend on Lorax. He was a good story for 6 games but he has regressed back top his natural state. The cosmos always seeks balance. He is a quality player but I don't think he has a spot in a 4-3 defense other than as a back-up pass rushing DE. Now his value as a special teasm guy is worth spending money on, but not that much.

7. If they have the room, make a poisoned pill contract offer to a restricted free agent RT.

8. Hope that Ragland can be at least a two down middle LB. If he is good enough to stay on the field with Z.Brown in the nickel they will be set at LB.

if you cut PBrown, who's your other LB? I could see PB as the strong side, rags in the middle, and ZB the weak. That's a solid group.

1. Extend Woods now

5. Cut P. Brown.

Some thoughts to consider...

1. Woods would be nuts to sign now--he can get $7M+ AAV on the market. As a corollary: we'd be nuts to pay him that.

2. I'd love to keep him, but that's an enormous contract to pay when you're already paying 6 premium salaries and have Watkins to deal with soon.

3. Let him go. He won't renegotiate when he's got $27M in gtd money coming--someone will sign him as a stopgap starter.

4. Absolutely. Good call.

5. No need--Preston is cheap and can walk after 2017, bringing a compensatory pick.

6. Agreed.

7. Pretty sure the poison pill was made illegal by the last CBA.

8. No other choice really.

USA Today's Tom Pelissero reports teams were informed on Tuesday that the salary cap is expected to rise to between $166-170 million in 2017.

It had been projected to be $163 - $165 mill, so that's somewhere around $2 - 5 mill higher than expected.

With us having the 24th lowest amount of cap space, that can't hurt. Won't help a lot either, but it can't hurt. They've already updated the numbers to as best they can include the increased projection at Spotrac:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2017/

1. Woods would be nuts to sign now--he can get $7M+ AAV on the market. As a corollary: we'd be nuts to pay him that.

2. I'd love to keep him, but that's an enormous contract to pay when you're already paying 6 premium salaries and have Watkins to deal with soon.

3. Let him go. He won't renegotiate when he's got $27M in gtd money coming--someone will sign him as a stopgap starter.

5. No need--Preston is cheap and can walk after 2017, bringing a compensatory pick.

6. Agreed.

P. Brown may be cheap but he also is not any good. By poison pill I mean a deal like Clay's that is structured to make it hard to match. Gilmore is worth the money. You may be correct about Woods and a rookie might produce just as well. The key to the off-season will be drafting a starter at safety.

Zack Brown hasn't done enough to justify a big contract. He made some flash plays early in the year but lately has been displaying the lack of toughness and instincts that got him thrown into the bargain bin in the first place.

The Bills could really use an elite linebacker, whether it's for Rex's D or the next guy's. They need to find an Alec Ogletree/Sean Lee type who can run and chase all over the middle of the field and cover those two monster TEs in New England.

6. Agreed.

RE: Tyrod ... You really think someone would sign a "stopgap starter" (your words) and guarantee him $27 mill if he stays one year and $40 if he's even on the roster in March before his second year? If so, I disagree.

And if we let him go before March this year he's not guaranteed the $27 mill, he's guaranteed nothing.

I think we're in a very good position to ask him to re-negotiate downwards.

1. Extend Woods now

5. Cut P. Brown.

The smart thing would be to wait for the New HC b.c who knows if he wants those players.

P. Brown may be cheap but he also is not any good.

even if he becomes depth you can have a guy at league minimum with no guarantees and an expiring contract.... at some level hes a good value even if hes your last LB off the bench. i dont think you find considerably better at that price point.

Edited by NoSaint

My problem with the salary cap is that it rewards failure. If you lose you shouldn't get paid.

Where is DC Tom when we need him?

Zack Brown hasn't done enough to justify a big contract. He made some flash plays early in the year but lately has been displaying the lack of toughness and instincts that got him thrown into the bargain bin in the first place.

The Bills could really use an elite linebacker, whether it's for Rex's D or the next guy's. They need to find an Alec Ogletree/Sean Lee type who can run and chase all over the middle of the field and cover those two monster TEs in New England.

Both the Browns have a bad tendency of getting caught in traffic (which is killing the run D) and not read/anticipating the play quickly enough.

Go watch the Cowboys or Pats, two teams that rush 3 guys a lot, and watch how their LBs close on the ball like a lightining bolt. When the QB makes the easy read and dumos it off vs. the Bills the TE or back scampers down field for a first down way more often than they should.

RE: Tyrod ... You really think someone would sign a "stopgap starter" (your words) and guarantee him $27 mill if he stays one year and $40 if he's even on the roster in March before his second year? If so, I disagree.

And if we let him go before March this year he's not guaranteed the $27 mill, he's guaranteed nothing.

I think we're in a very good position to ask him to re-negotiate downwards.

He is Not redoing his deal. Only way you are able to get him to redo his deal is not pick up the option, give him an offer and see if he finds better in UFA