If Tyrod was a UFA

DC Grid

I'm somewhat shocked by the clamoring to dump Tyrod. Even picking up his full contract, Tyrod would seem like a relative deal at this point. In a league were Chase Daniels makes $7M, Brock Oswhiler makes $17M a year and guys like Bradford are being traded for 1st Round draft picks....Tyrod's contract will pay him an average of $16M a year....really it's a contract for $27M next year and $14M a year there after. Do people here who want Tyrod gone think there aren't multiple teams who would eagerly pay that much for Tyrod in a FA market with only one other possible starter, who's old and almost dead (Romo). Does the fact that there is literally no better option available not scare the anti- Tyrod crowd?

It's like Ron Burgundy jumping into the bear pit. If Tyrod gets cut and signs a $17M a year deal with the Jets, Browns, Bears, Niners etc...will people not immediately regret the decision?

I'm somewhat shocked by the clamoring to dump Tyrod. Even picking up his full contract, Tyrod would seem like a relative deal at this point. In a league were Chase Daniels makes $7M, Brock Oswhiler makes $17M a year and guys like Bradford are being traded for 1st Round draft picks....Tyrod's contract will pay him an average of $16M a year....really it's a contract for $27M next year and $14M a year there after. Do people here who want Tyrod gone think there aren't multiple teams who would eagerly pay that much for Tyrod in a FA market with only one other possible starter, who's old and almost dead (Romo). Does the fact that there is literally no better option available not scare the anti- Tyrod crowd?

It's like Ron Burgundy jumping into the bear pit. If Tyrod gets cut and signs a $17M a year deal with the Jets, Browns, Bears, Niners etc...will people not immediately regret the decision?

I'd be surprised if TT garnered much attention from teams desperate for a #1 QB. It's possible a team might want to create some excitement among its fab base by signing him, but I'd be shocked if he was a legit consideration for a #1 position. The tape simply doesn't lie.

I could see Denver or Arizona. Denver doesn't seem like a team willing to wait and see if Lynch can be the guy next year - they'd rather have a solid backup plan. Same goes for Arizona - sub par QB and O-line play is why they are where they are this year.

Yep, Denver and a reunion with Kubiak sounds logical, especially if they don't make a run at Romo.

I could see Denver or Arizona. Denver doesn't seem like a team willing to wait and see if Lynch can be the guy next year - they'd rather have a solid backup plan. Same goes for Arizona - sub par QB and O-line play is why they are where they are this year.

there was a thought on that, What if Tyrod was actually sandbagging himself this season to get shipped off to Denver or a better team? Would make sense but highly doubt it

I'll concede that what TT costs relative to an elite QB is a relative bargain (& is even in line w/ other "lower echelon" starting QBS - Osweller, Fitz) . You're getting a serviceable QB for ~1/2-2/3 the cost. However, when you take into consideration what you get at a BARGAIN price, if you're lucky (Prescott, Siemian, TT last yr) I think that dramatically lessens the mkt (& appeal). He's got elite elusiveness & he's careful w/ the ball. But based on what we've seen, he's not capable of winning by throwing & he's not going to lead a potent passing attack. How many teams are willing to settle for that? We could probably re-sign EJ for ~1/3 of that & not lose much &/or we might even have more in Jones (at FAR less of a cost) if given time to develop.

I can't see Elway being a TT fan. I highly doubt he'd sign him.

The options are limited, and they have a very good defense. He's not the #1 option, but he's a viable backup solution should Lynch look bad. Simien has been fine for them, but they are where they are because of their defense.

Siemian is cheap... like really cheap. If there's a trade market for him, and they could plug in TT as the backup they'd have to consider it. I wouldn't see them moving on from Lynch after just 1 year, but they have to make a decision at some point.

forget the contract and option...do you think you can win and go deep into the playoffs with Tyrod? I know I do not. and do not want Tyrod in the way of exhausting every possible option of gettting a real QB here.

I know i am on the lunatic fringe, but I would take EJ at this stage over Tyrod. I would love to see what EJ could do with the #1 ranked running game and full-time reps as the starter. I know the 5 minutes in Jacksonville sealed his fate in both the fans and coaches mind...but damn at least he had the mental toughness to come back from that 27-3 deficit and regain the lead ! Contrast that with the mental meltdowns Tyrod has when trailing or facing adversity and its no contest.

Soto answer your question...don't care what the alternatives are, but I do know that unless everything falls 100% Tyrod's way in a game..he cant get it done..

Jeremy White talks about t the need to get the "for Buffalo" out of our vocabulary, and he's right.

As in "Taylor's not a good QB, but "for Buffalo "he's pretty good"

8-8 Record sucks, but "for Buffalo "they should be happy with that.

Rex is not a good coach, but "for Buffalo", they should be happy he went there and wants to stay.

Edited by plenzmd1

I can't see Elway being a TT fan. I highly doubt he'd sign him.

Elway offered him more money to back up Manning in Denver but Tyrod came here because he wanted a shot at starting. Now with Peyton retired I wouldn't be shocked seeing Denver going after him again as Kubiak supposedly likes him from their time together in Baltimore.

This was by far the best place and system for him and that showed he is Below AVG at best.

Move on.

32nd in the league and passing how hard is it to replicate or get better than that Edited by MAJBobby

The options are limited, and they have a very good defense. He's not the #1 option, but he's a viable backup solution should Lynch look bad. Simien has been fine for them, but they are where they are because of their defense.

Siemian is cheap... like really cheap. If there's a trade market for him, and they could plug in TT as the backup they'd have to consider it. I wouldn't see them moving on from Lynch after just 1 year, but they have to make a decision at some point.

I get your points, but for someone with as much QB knowledge as Elway I just don't see it. The book was unwritten on TT while he was the backup for Baltimore. Now TT has plenty of less than flattering game film. It shows him as a one dimensional run first QB who needs the offense tailored to his strengths. I don't think he'd be awful as a backup. There aren't many good backups out there. I did forget that the Broncos did go after him to back up Manning. So I suppose there probably is a good chance. I don't think I'd make much sense though. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

The only thing I'll say positive about EJ is that he does show some mental toughness- as in forgetting about his bad plays and not letting them affect his ability to come back. He's just not good enough IMO to be the starter here.

Yes- from what I've seen with my own eyes, Tyrod is a better NFL QB than EJ. I'm down with keeping his option and playing it out until we find someone better. If Cardale or some draft pick outperforms him in training camp and preseason then so be it. It will be an expensive gamble i guess.

If Tyrod hits UFA, then Cleveland and some other teams will swoop him up in a heartbeat. He's not the awful QB that Jeremy White and some others crusade about.

The only thing I'll say positive about EJ is that he does show some mental toughness- as in forgetting about his bad plays and not letting them affect his ability to come back. He's just not good enough IMO to be the starter here.

Yes- from what I've seen with my own eyes, Tyrod is a better NFL QB than EJ. I'm down with keeping his option and playing it out until we find someone better. If Cardale or some draft pick outperforms him in training camp and preseason then so be it. It will be an expensive gamble i guess.

If Tyrod hits UFA, then Cleveland and some other teams will swoop him up in a heartbeat. He's not the awful QB that Jeremy White and some others crusade about.

That's fine let them scoop up the head of the leagues worst passing offense