Who is the cancer?

dorquemada

Whomever signed the Dareus contract, being on the hook for that much money and cap space to anyone is stupid, especially an immature addict. Whaley bet the farm on a handful of guys. Bad plan Louie, you gotta spread the risk. Whaley falls in love with players and in the NFL it is total detachment, just ask the Patriots.

This is the direction in which I'm leaning. The rules are for thee (players not #99) but not for me (#99) is a really crappy precedent to set. With all the antics Dareus has gotten up to in the last couple years, I think it's pretty natural for the other players to be resentful, knowing if they did the same things, they would be benched or cut. It can be little things that add up to big things.

I know people want easy answers. But they don't want real answers. They just want a quick easy out. A scapegoat that they can say just get rid of him and everything will be bright and sunny again. Sorry, there are no easy answers. I don't think any coach or player has been there 17 years. The cancer has been there so long and spread so much and so deeply, it is in the DNA of the organization. There are no easy answers.

Edited by simpleman

Cancer starts small and spreads - sometimes very quickly.

Sometimes it can be dealt with slowly and relatively painlessly. Sometimes it needs to be dealt with quite aggressively.

This team has issues on both on and off the field.

• Our kicking game has gone south.
  • Our offense is scoring points, but lacks consistency.
  • Our defense gives up the big play way too often. On third and long, I always feel as if the defense can't seem to get themselves off the field.
  • We can't run a 2 minute drill to save our lives.
  • We challenge plays that we shouldn't and let very challengable plays go by the wayside.
  • We seem to pay players handsomely, then they play at a lower level than when they were making less money

I could go on for a while, but the point is that I feel as if we need to treat this aggressively.

That being said, I'm not the owner, but I have faith in them.

I'll wait until the season is over and see what they come up with.

The Pegula's started this by hiring Ryan and have him report directly to them. Either give Whaley control over the HC and personnel or fire him and bring in a GM you trust to fix this team

There's a point worth considering here.

I've always thought that the idea of bringing in a "Football Czar" was fundamentally a splice-in to fill portions of the GM role the owners aren't comfortable giving to the GM they have. There are all kinds of reporting structures on successful NFL franchises, but "coach reports to GM" is one way to do it.

Cancer starts small and spreads - sometimes very quickly.

Sometimes it can be dealt with slowly and relatively painlessly. Sometimes it needs to be dealt with quite aggressively.

This team has issues on both on and off the field.

• Our kicking game has gone south.
  • Our offense is scoring points, but lacks consistency.
  • Our defense gives up the big play way too often. On third and long, I always feel as if the defense can't seem to get themselves off the field.
  • We can't run a 2 minute drill to save our lives.
  • We challenge plays that we shouldn't and let very challengable plays go by the wayside.
  • We seem to pay players handsomely, then they play at a lower level than when they were making less money

I could go on for a while, but the point is that I feel as if we need to treat this aggressively.

That being said, I'm not the owner, but I have faith in them.

I'll wait until the season is over and see what they come up with.

Why? They haven't shown they know what they're doing with respect to the team on the field

IMObservation, this has been a characteristic of the Rex Ryan defenses I've seen dating back pre-Buffalo: they will stuff several plays in a row, then stay on the field with untimely penalties and eventually give up the drive-extending big play.

Why? They haven't shown they know what they're doing with respect to the team on the field

Do you really want owners meddling with the team on the field? That really shouldn't be their role/responsibility.

They chose a coach and GM entrusted with fielding a team and coaching them to win.

IMObservation, this has been a characteristic of the Rex Ryan defenses I've seen dating back pre-Buffalo: they will stuff several plays in a row, then stay on the field with untimely penalties and eventually give up the drive-extending big play.

Do you really want owners meddling with the team on the field? That really shouldn't be their role/responsibility.

They chose a coach and GM entrusted with fielding a team and coaching them to win.

IMO, if you want to attract good talent for next year, show respect for the ones you hired this year.

We don't need off field junk to make us look like bigger losers than we look on the field.

That's why that "leak" about Rex's job is so disconcerting....

IMHO ... the coaching staff is the problem ... the whole freakin' coaching staff.

We have nine defensive coaches plus a self proclaimed defensive genius as a head coach, that's ten people with their fingers in our defensive scheme at some level or another. Think about that ... that's almost a one to one ratio to players on the field. Last week, three times (to my count) we almost started a play with only 10 players on the field only to have the 11th run into the formation at the last moment. So we have 10 defensive coaches and we can't even get the right players on the field at the right time. This is the second year this coaching staff has been in charge and we're STILL talking about communication issues.

On the other side of the ball we also have 10 offensive coaches (two of which are tasked with developing our QB) and we can't pass protect, we can't pass.

If you look at the coaching staff real close it is rife with Rex Ryan cronies, and their sons (and a brother). For the most part Rex has a connection in that either the coach once played for him or was a long time associate (or relative).

I think the day Rex's welcome was worn out at One Bills Drive is the day he hired his brother to fill an opening we didn't have, based on his bloodline rather than any success he may have had as a coach, and the team not only didn't get any better, but to most accounts it got worse. I think that it was finally revealed that the emperor had no clothes and was more bluster than skill.

Edited by macaroni

This isn't about meddling. It's about having the roles clearly defined. To expect a GM to work with a coach that wasn't his choice and to have the coach report directly to the owner and not the gm doesn't seem to make any sense to me. He may be meddling if he is upsetting the normal structure of the football operations.

There's a point worth considering here.

I've always thought that the idea of bringing in a "Football Czar" was fundamentally a splice-in to fill portions of the GM role the owners aren't comfortable giving to the GM they have. There are all kinds of reporting structures on successful NFL franchises, but "coach reports to GM" is one way to do it.

If they aren't comfortable with letting the GM have the true authority of the job then fire the GM ...

I meant that all they have done has not translated to a winning team....and by having the HC report directly to the owners and not the GM could be called meddling to a small degree

This isn't about meddling. It's about having the roles clearly defined. To expect a GM to work with a coach that wasn't his choice and to have the coach report directly to the owner and not the gm doesn't seem to make any sense to me. He may be meddling if he is upsetting the normal structure of the football operations.

It's a very bad chain of command. Like I said somewhere else, in the workplace, skip level communications are poisonous to management in the middle

Cancer and my name is Larry, huh
And I like a woman that loves everything and everybody
Because I love everybody and everything
And you know what, ladies, if you feel that this is you
Then this is what I want you to do

Ooh, yeah, take my hand
Let me take you to Love Land
Let me show you how sweet it could be
Sharing your love with Larry, listen

Float, float on
Float on, float on
Float, float, float on