Rex Ryan for GM??

Pros:

1) He has the Pegulas ear(s)...they like him.

2) Has been involved in an assortment of positions in the NFL.

3) He knows all the "players" (coaches, agents, players, colleges, etc)

4) It would take him off the sideline as a coach

5) Intelligence

6) Respected in NFL circles

7) Can identify talent (Ed Reed, Mo Wilkerson, Ivory, Mo Lewis, etc.)

8) Can work with others and plays his cards close to the vest.

9) It would take him off the sidelines as a coach x2

10) *add your own thoughts*

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the criticism he gets and the "fire him now" comments....all of it is attributable to his running an outdated defense and being somewhat aloof as it relates to in-game decision making. Those are not his skill sets.

Player interaction, talking with people, finding the proverbial "diamond in the rough", and evaluation of talent are his strong suits.

Whaley seems to have faltered IMO. Rex deserves a shot...he'll select an able bodied coach, stock the team with bullies and let them do the hard work on the field while he handles the less important matters like contracts and scouting.

EDIT: I don't mean to say "less important"...but less visible tasks to fans like us.

Edited by BringBackFergy

Here is a better idea. We have a decent GM let him do his job and let him hire a new coach? Let him get his first choice this time.

We have a winner! We all have lost at least 2 years of our Bills fandom playoff dream because of this buffoon!

He never appears serious, and his team plays like it.

I have a question. When was the last time anyone can remember a championship coach who was a clown 24/7. Answer- NEVER!

Edited by The Thurmanator

What if we move him to the 'Football Czar' spot that everyone is saying that we need. Leave Whaley in place as GM, but then hire Schwartz back as head coach.

That way, Rex can wine and dine people, stay involved with the organization, but not be making gameday decisions. He'd be in his wheelhouse, schmoozing with the other Czars, but alot less pressure.

Schwartz brings his d back in (maybe even bring Leodis back and let Gilmore walk) and Lynn stays with the offense.

My biggest fear would be coaching hires/nepotism.

Other than that, I don't think this is a crazy idea.

He does have relationships.

He does have a decent draft record.

Players do like to play for him, so it would help in attracting free agents.

I'm not a fan (at all) of Rex as a Head Coach.

But I'm down for a liberal move like this to make him GM.

Seriously ... it's been 17 years since we sniffed the playoffs. How can this be a worse idea than any of the other moves?

My biggest fear would be coaching hires/nepotism.

Other than that, I don't think this is a crazy idea.

He does have relationships.

He does have a decent draft record.

Players do like to play for him, so it would help in attracting free agents.

I'm not a fan (at all) of Rex as a Head Coach.

But I'm down for a liberal move like this to make him GM.

Seriously ... it's been 17 years since we sniffed the playoffs. How can this be a worse idea than any of the other moves?

He has a decent draft record? I thought he inherited a good Jets roster, and then ruined it with questionable draft choices. He influenced the Jets to draft too defensively heavy, and used first round picks on corners like Kris Wilson and Dee Milliner.

Jeez, the guy took a 9-7 team that every Bills fan thought was a playoff team and went 8-8. Now this year it looks like another 8-8 year and some fans want him as GM?

While the man did ask to bring in Tyrod Taylor, Richie Incognito and did chase, wine, and dine Cowboys OG La"el Collins before he became a Dallas player. Rex Ryan built a very precarious team the past two years with a defense doesn't work if the offensive run game gets shut down and the offense doesn't work either if the run game gets shut down.

One can easily see why Ryan would want a running QB and to build a much more solid offensive line and yet the run game still gets shut down at times and both the QB and defense flounder because of it.

This also should the ineptitude of Doug Whaley in spending two first round draft picks on a glass WR when the team still needed their franchise QB. So meanwhile the team passes on Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr and doesn't see the talent in Dak Prescott. Yes, this team needs a new HC, new GM, just not Rex Ryan.