We Should Pick Up the Option on Tyrod No Matter What

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I don't see how the sub 200 yard kid helps with that.

Dak, wentz, Simien would all fare better without all the seasoning.

You throw names like dak, wentz, simien (even though I would only take dak over Tyrod out of that group) and it's easily countered with a list of the likes of Goff, JP losman, Manziel, Aaron Murray, EJ, Gene Smith, Matt Barkley

The draft is a crap shoot - and again I am all for us drafting a QB, while still keeping Tyrod because it's SMART to have options and competition

I get it, we all get it, you hate Tyrod because he throws for 150 yards a game - And ignore all the rest of his positive attirrubutes that have led to wins for our football team the past two seasons - just throwing in a rookie and hoping to capture lightening in a bottle is what we have been doing for years...you work in the bills FO previously?

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"No matter what?"

The only sense that makes is grammatical sense.

Even if he's in jail? Even if he's a heroin addict? Even if his play goes downhill? Even if we decide Rex isn't the right coach? Even if we lose the last five games and don't score more than ten in any of them?

I mean, that's ridiculous, "no matter what". What we should do is make a slow, considered, logical decision. Right now you'd have to guess they'll extend him. But there are a lot of good reasons not to.

And if he doesn't improve a great deal, I mean an awful lot over the next few years, it's going to look like an absolutely terrible deal, far worse than extending Fitzy looked. If we pay him the $27 mill and he doesn't become a franchise QB, a top ten or twelve in the league guy, or the Bills don't somehow win a Lombardi in spite of that, people will look back on the deal as a very very bad one.

But if he does become a top ten or twelve guy or we win a title, it'll be seen as a real bargain. There's a lot to think about. "No matter what" makes no sense at all.

Edited by Thurman#1

"No matter what?"

The only sense that makes is grammatical sense.

Even if he's in jail? Even if he's a heroin addict? Even if his play goes downhill? Even if we decide Rex isn't the right coach?

I mean, that's ridiculous, "no matter what". What we should do is make a slow, considered, logical decision. Right now you'd have to guess they'll extend him. But there are a lot of good reasons not to.

And if he doesn't improve a great deal, I mean an awful lot over the next few years, it's going to look like an absolutely terrible deal, far worse than extending Fitzy looked.

So you think that making him the 20th highest paid QB (keep in mind Bortles, Mariota, Winston, Wentz, Goff, etc... are on rookie deals) is a terrible deal? There would be a couple, at most, veteran starting QBs making less than him. Context is VERY important here.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

#1 - the going rate for QB will be pushing $25 mil/yr...(carr, cousins, luck, romo, flacco, palmer, ryan , Stafford)

#2 - tyrod's deal averages about $17 mil/yr cap hit which would make him the 20th highest paid qb in 2017.

#3 - his contract is team friendly with very low dead money after every single season.

#4 - keep tyrod until you are absolutely sure you have someone better already on team. don't cut him and go hoping, wishing.

#5 - get healthy (wr, rb, c), upgrade RT, add a WR and watch TT return to alternate pro bowl level.

Agree 100%

To me it would make absolutely no sense to not pick up the option on Tyrod. Okay, if Brees or Rivers were available and willing to come here, then yes buh bye Tyrod, nice knowing ya. But let's be serious. I seriously think their is about a 1% chance that happens. Please do not bring up Romo, who was never quite on that tier and has had continuous serious injuries over the last few years. Let Tyrod walk to watch Romo get injured in game 1 and retire? I don't think so.

If we are going to replace Tyrod, where is that replacement going to come from? The draft is where you are going to find your guy. I think we should definitely be drafting more QB's but that doesn't mean they have to start right away. Yes if we are going QB in the top ten, I am a believer you should be going with that guy from day one, but we have learned with players like Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott, that you don't have to get your QB in round one. That said two of those guys started as rookies and have be great thus far. I think you re-up Tyrod and put more a an emphasis on drafting QB's and if one can beat Tyrod out that is great. If Tyrod can elevate his play and solidify his position as a starter, that is great.

Tyrod's contract is very low for a QB and if we were to draft somebody who panned out, Tyrod's contract would run out before we had to pay the new guy. Tyrod's extension will have no bearing on our ability to keep another QB should we find one that we think can be great. Even if Tyrod regresses and we want to cut him, his dead cap space is extremely low and would have little affect on the roster. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

I know we have statistically, the worst passing game in the NFL. I wish we could have what we had with the K-Gun in the 90's but that isn't happening unless we draft someone who is really good. So we aren't going to have that great passing game just yet but we do have the best running game in the NFL both by yards and yards per carry. I do like that we are going against the grain and doing the exact opposite of what everyone else is doing. I also don't think we have peaked yet as an offense and we won't this season. I think if we improve the RT position, be savvy in free agency and add some useful veteran receivers, and give Anthonly Lynn an off-season to fine tune the offense. We could be very good next season.

His dead space isn't going to be as low as you think once the option gets picked up and 2017 and 2018 become guaranteed

Tyrod's been pretty sturdy despite his size. I would keep him. Kelly only had 4 seasons with a completion percentage over 60. He would have been roasted by the board :)

Again with the comparing eras. It was a different NFL then

Tyrod's been pretty sturdy despite his size. I would keep him. Kelly only had 4 seasons with a completion percentage over 60. He would have been roasted by the board :)

Again with the comparing eras. It was a different NFL then

Edited by MAJBobby

You throw names like dak, wentz, simien (even though I would only take dak over Tyrod out of that group) and it's easily countered with a list of the likes of Goff, JP losman, Manziel, Aaron Murray, EJ, Gene Smith, Matt Barkley

The draft is a crap shoot - and again I am all for us drafting a QB, while still keeping Tyrod because it's SMART to have options and competition

I get it, we all get it, you hate Tyrod because he throws for 150 yards a game - And ignore all the rest of his positive attirrubutes that have led to wins for our football team the past two seasons - just throwing in a rookie and hoping to capture lightening in a bottle is what we have been doing for years...you work in the bills FO previously?

Tyrod > Wentz ? Good luck with that.

Which games has Tyrod won for the Bills ? Jags and ?

Agree to disagree sir. We would be lucky if he turned into Alex Smith IMO.

They win in spite of TT not because of him.

Tyrod > Wentz ? Good luck with that.

Which games has Tyrod won for the Bills ? Jags and ?

Agree to disagree sir. We would be lucky if he turned into Alex Smith IMO.

Wentz is booty man, he had a couple good games early this year and now the book is out, blitz him and he crumbles (just like college) and panics, throws INTs or throws right into the ground....no thanks at all

I'd rather have EJ than wentz

They will pick up Tyrod's option, I just believe that it will be restructured to where next year's cap hit is not $27,000,000. Tyrod will work with them because they worked with him to give him a raise this year. My guess is they will get his cap number between 18-20 mill so they have more flexibility in FA.

Sure, I bet he'll work with them on the cap. But that they'll still have to pay him $27 mill in cash. Which will then every penny be applied to the cap even though it won't be all in this year.

Was paying all that money to Fitz OK even though some of it was paid as dead money a year or two later instead of that year? It was still money that couldn't be applied to other players.

They are not factoring in the Fully guarantees once 2017 option picked up

$15.5 million Option Bonus, $12 million base salary become fully guaranteed on the 3rd league day of 2017

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

It is a cap friendly contract if TT is the Bills starter for the next 5 years.

Unless he continues not to get better as a Passer then you are married to a highly paid BU until end of 2018

And that can be countered by Wilson, Mariotta, Cam, Carr, Winston

You know QBs taken in the 1st or 2nd round

Edited by MAJBobby

Wentz is booty man, he had a couple good games early this year and now the book is out, blitz him and he crumbles (just like college) and panics, throws INTs or throws right into the ground....no thanks at all

This one will be fun to revisit.

He throws. Ours feels Ghost Pressure and runs for 3 yards on 3rd and 7 Edited by MAJBobby

They are not factoring in the Fully guarantees once 2017 option picked up

Unless he continues not to get better as a Passer then you are married to a highly paid BU until end of 2018

And that can be countered by Wilson, Mariotta, Cam, Carr, Winston

You know QBs taken in the 1st or 2nd round

I'm fine with being married to a highly paid back up for two seasons if we had a rookie come in and unseat him at a real team friendly price (which it would be)

Sunk cost - we would still be paying the QB position a mid level salary (league wide), cool with me

And drafting a QB in first or second round is also fine with me if they love one of those guys, but there have been plentyyyyyy of misses in first and second rounds so no point in even posting that list

Where was your voice when the pats were blowing us out and Tyrod was pooping his pants ? Take the Trump talk to PPP bruh Draft and pray works for me. Romo would be the dream scenario really. Trubisky/Watson/Rudolph could get us 166 yards passing too

McCoy is the engine. Qb can be replaced easily.

If you want to easily replace a QB then Romo is the best choice.

:w00t: That's just too damn funny!

I'm fine with being married to a highly paid back up for two seasons if we had a rookie come in and unseat him at a real team friendly price (which it would be)

Sunk cost - we would still be paying the QB position a mid level salary (league wide), cool with me

And drafting a QB in first or second round is also fine with me if they love one of those guys, but there have been plentyyyyyy of misses in first and second rounds so no point in even posting that list

And there have been plenty of hits so no point in posting the list.

This QB issue and knee jerk extensions of Fitz and Tyrod go directly to the Bills not really correctly valuing the QB position in the draft and instead think RBs should get picked in the 1st round over and over again

None of this really matters, because it is a TBD debate not a OBD debate. There is no handwringing going on over this decision at this point. Tyrod Taylor will be the QB in 2017 and in all likelihood 2018. Let's all hope that he improves where he needs to.

No, no, no -- unless Tyrod becomes a PROLIFIC PASSER immediately this is a horrible decision.

You mean Dakota Tebow has been exposed?

Not drafting a QB, ex the Manuel disaster, over the past decade has come back to bite this team in the A$$. The only question to me is, does your QB give you a chance to beat winning teams, win playoff games and win a Superbowl. So far, there is no evidence Tyrod can do that. So we pay him $27 mil? That's ludicrous. But they will end up doing it, because they will blame the injuries on receivers for his lost production. There really is no other option, I get it. But I would rather draft 2 QBs next year and go with the better one. There are several rookie QBs starting right now, and they all have better stats than Tyrod. In yards per attempt, which many argue is the most important stat for a QB, he's near the bottom of the league. I don't dislike the guy. I just wish he were better, bigger and could see down the field and fire the ball to open guys. We'll see Sunday if they can beat a winning team. My guess is no.