We Should Pick Up the Option on Tyrod No Matter What

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Yes but overall, many more misses than hits. That's why there aren't 32 top level franchise QB's in the league. The misses far out weigh the hits

That is not a reason to not keep drafting them. Because when you don't you overpay AVG at best QBs (Fitz and Taylor) with knee jerk extensions

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Round 1 or 2. I don't need to reach for a QB in round 1(there are a couple I like in round 1 though).

But there is very good value for a QB in round 2 so far in my analysis of the college QBs

I don't agree picking up his option, but can live with it if we actually take a QB in round 1 or 2 and provide legit competition at the position.

However I just think we are treading water until Rex is gone.

Because even if the Rookie we draft plays like Wilson did in offseason do you really think Rex and this staff sits Taylor down before the season? Like Seattle did with Flynn.

TT won this job through a QB competition. He wasnt the favorite. You can easily argue that it wouldve been 10000000x easier for Rex to start EJ and if he failed to say: that was the past regime's QB. Not mine.

The fact that TT won that competition speaks volumes to what the coaching stagf thinks of him and the value he can bring to the offense.

As to your point about Rex. Overall i like Rex. I think whaley and rex/lynn are a good combination. Ive seen improvement across the board in all facets of the game in yr 2 despite the ridiculous amounts of injuries. I feel the arrow is pointing up.

TT won this job through a QB competition. He wasnt the favorite. You can easily argue that it wouldve been 10000000x easier for Rex to start EJ and if he failed to say: that was the past regime's QB. Not mine.

The fact that TT won that competition speaks volumes to what the coaching stagf thinks of him and the value he can bring to the offense.

As to your point about Rex. Overall i like Rex. I think whaley and rex/lynn are a good combination. Ive seen improvement across the board in all facets of the game in yr 2 despite the ridiculous amounts of injuries. I feel the arrow is pointing up.

Who did he compete against?

Who was the HC that wanted this QB since his time with the Jets?

I said Legit Competiton not EJ and Cassel (EJ was done in Buffalo the minute he was benched for Orton out of retirement) that is not competition

And EJ and a 2 to 3 year project

Edited by MAJBobby

Well first of all, that's a false equivalency because Taylor is light years better than Manuel. And I don't even think Taylor is that good. And I'm always arguing with the same five guys. My take prior to the 2015 season was, hey guys, I don't think the EJ Manuel thing is happening. I was right. 99% of the people on here agreed with me. The Bills entire organization agreed with me. 100% of non-Bills fans agreed with me. And of course, the same five guys who mock Taylor now were insisting prior to the 2015 season (when I spent admittedly way too much time on here saying that it was over for EJ Manuel- which again, it was, I was right) that the Bills hadn't given Manuel a fair shot, he was still gonna be good, etc., etc. Ya know it's OK to say Ryan Leaf sucks. Or they should've taken Gronkowski over Troup. I was never saying anything radical- then or now.

"You know, I finally figured it out! You sound just like Donald Trump"

Character assassination is so easy, and yet it's your go-to. Every time.

None of this really matters, because it is a TBD debate not a OBD debate. There is no handwringing going on over this decision at this point. Tyrod Taylor will be the QB in 2017 and in all likelihood 2018. Let's all hope that he improves where he needs to.

Nutshell.

Simple fact is there will be no other QB available through trade, draft, or FA acquisition that wouldn't represent a regression at the position. I don't think those advocating to get rid of TT would be on board with a worse player at the position, but that's what it amounts to. IMO, the only QB that could realistically come in and exceed TT's performance would be Romo, but he's got too many other issues, is way past his prime, and probably would prefer to sign with a better, contending team like Denver.

TT has major flaws as a QB, I think that we can all agree on that. But he's the least of all evils at the moment, his cap hit is friendly, and he's got credibility in the locker room which is perhaps the biggest factor in his favor. It would be a very tough sell to the veteran leadership on this team to replace him with someone they KNOW will be worse.

Oh, and to those that say TT is OK at this number but not at that number and argue "value" should really stop to consider what they are really saying.

He competed against the qb that the Bills franchise drafted 16th overall only 2yrs earlier.

And was Benched for Kyle Orton out of retirement.

That is NOT legitimate competition for a guy that the HC wanted as his QB since the team he was fired from before

Nutshell.

Simple fact is there will be no other QB available through trade, draft, or FA acquisition that wouldn't represent a regression at the position. I don't think those advocating to get rid of TT would be on board with a worse player at the position, but that's what it amounts to. IMO, the only QB that could realistically come in and exceed TT's performance would be Romo, but he's got too many other issues, is way past his prime, and probably would prefer to sign with a better, contending team like Denver.

TT has major flaws as a QB, I think that we can all agree on that. But he's the least of all evils at the moment, his cap hit is friendly, and he's got credibility in the locker room which is perhaps the biggest factor in his favor. It would be a very tough sell to the veteran leadership on this team to replace him with someone they KNOW will be worse.

Oh, and to those that say TT is OK at this number but not at that number and argue "value" should really stop to consider what they are really saying.

There absolutely are QBs available that are cheaper and not a regression at the position.

That is NOT legitimate competition for a guy that the HC wanted as his QB since the team he was fired from before

There absolutely are QBs available that are cheaper and not a regression at the position.

No, there aren't. No matter how many times you insist on this, the scouting community doesn't agree.

MAJbBobby. What would be easier for Rex to do as a new HC for the Bills:

1. Start the 1st Rd Qb in EJ that is already on the roster and still somewhat unproven. Or

2. Start a QB that was never a starter and not highly drafted at all.

Where is the risk in those two options? You make it sound like the "fix" was in. Please stop.

Simple fact is there will be no other QB available through trade, draft, or FA acquisition that wouldn't represent a regression at the position. I don't think those advocating to get rid of TT would be on board with a worse player at the position, but that's what it amounts to.

That is exactly what I am advocating. I am accepting that the free agent game managers available - let's stick with Hoyer and Keenum for now - represent a small downgrade overall at the position from Tyrod. But as I keep saying... it is not Tyrod v Hoyer. It is Tyrod v Hoyer plus 3 starter level contributors. Maybe a safety, maybe extending Z. Brown and maybe a vet WR. I think the latter would make the sum of the parts better for THIS team which does not win because of its Quarterback, but asks its Quarterback to be a complimentary piece.

Edited by GunnerBill

That is exactly what I am advocating. I am accepting that the free agent game managers available - let's stick with Hoyer and Keenum for now - represent a small downgrade overall at the position from Tyrod. But as I keep saying... it is not Tyrod v Hoyer. It is Tyrod v Hoyer plus 3 starter level contributors. Maybe a safety, maybe extending Z. Brown and maybe a vet WR. I think the latter would make the sum of the parts better for THIS team which does not win because of its Quarterback, but asks its Quarterback to be a complimentary piece.

We have plenty of cap room to do all of those things with Tyrod as the QB instead of...lol...hoyer

November 30, 2014.

Orchard Park, NY. Browns vs. Bills.

Kyle Orton vs. Brian Hoyer.

Hoyer had to be pulled in favor of Johnny Football after putting up a **** show of absolutely epic proportions.

Hoyer was absolutely undaunted in that game, showing laser guided focus, unwavering tenacity, steadfast drive, and utter determination to prove he completely sucked beyond all comprehension.

Doesn't anyone remember this game?

Hoyer's performance was so putrid, so inept, so vile, it put him on my personal black list forever.

That's why I don't like the Hoyer backup plan.

So that day Hoyer was 18-30 192 0 TD and 2 INT and had a 3-0 halftime lead.

How many times has Tyrod equaled that or far worse? Too many to count, and you think Tyrod is good but Hoyer is bad. Ok whatever!

MAJbBobby. What would be easier for Rex to do as a new HC for the Bills:

1. Start the 1st Rd Qb in EJ that is already on the roster and still somewhat unproven. Or

2. Start a QB that was never a starter and not highly drafted at all.

Where is the risk in those two options? You make it sound like the "fix" was in. Please stop.

No I am not. I am just saying a competition with a QB that struggled and was benched for a guy out of retirement against QB that the HC has been lobbying to be his QB for years it really not a competition against legitimate threats.

I actually tried to trade for [Taylor] when I was with the Jets, Ryan said. If hes not the fastest quarterback in the league, hes certainly up there with them. Hes got great run skills. Im not gonna say hes Russell Wilson, but hes got a little of that in him, where hes able to run zone reads and pull the ball down and be effective.

We have plenty of cap room to do all of those things with Tyrod as the QB instead of...lol...hoyer

No we really don't Edited by MAJBobby

Show me. That Hoyer is a significant downgrade

Lets play devils advocate just for one second and assume Hoyer and TT are equal in performance. You want to get 4 years older at QB and sign a QB who is 4yrs older and has never started a full season in the NFL and hope that at 32 he'll play a full season?

No thanks.

Edited by bobobonators

Show me. That Hoyer is a significant downgrade

Oh, you mean "statistically?" It would be a wast of time and not touch upon the other, more important aspects of the situation that you have little appreciation for. Besides, the league has already made its pronouncement on Hoyer. Resoundingly so.

Lets play devils advocate just for one second and assume Hoyer and TT are equal in performance. You want to get 4 years older at QB and sign a QB who is 4yrs older and has never started a full season in the NFL and hope that at 32 theyll play a full season?

No thanks.

Yes because I am anticipating Hoyer giving way to my newly draft QB either in 2017 or 2018 and a significant cap savings than TT, with better passing play and maybe a slight overall downgrade

Oh, you mean "statistically?" It would be a wast of time and not touch upon the other, more important aspects of the situation that you have little appreciation for. Besides, the league has already made its pronouncement on Hoyer. Resoundingly so.

And a real smart coach has made his pronouncement on TT

Taylor barely played behind Joe Flacco in Baltimore, throwing just 35 passes over four campaigns. Coach John Harbaugh said last offseason that he was "disappointed" with Taylor's development. The Bills, though, believe they can make more out of the former Virginia Tech star.

It's called "Grass is always greener syndrome" and its highly contagious. Potentially fatal.