Why is Rex still lost on defense?

Yeezus

I don't understand. He finally had a healthy front 7, and before Darby got hurt only 1 player missing in the secondary

this is a healthy defense. Why does he still leave the corners 1 on 1

How come our Dline barely gets pressure on the QB anymore. What the hell is going on?? Why does Rex get 3 years to fix this defense when it looks worse every single week? Is his scheme outdated, has it been figured out?

What happened to the exotic formations and blitz packages that confuses QB's, we play the most vanilla defense ever. Is that bc the players suck or Rex can't coach anymore? His defense was awful in NY the last 3 or so years there. They blamed the players, he comes here and it looks no different..maybe even worse with our bad run defense

If we had a top 10 or even 15 defense we would easily have 2-3 more wins. Jets, Miami, Seattle games all come to mind.

He keeps trying to force our corners play man to man and they are not good at it and this makes the rest of the defense fail.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I seen today the defense was ranked 12th and after today should be ranked higher.

If we had middling pass attack, like 20th, we most definitely would have a couple more wins. Whole lot of passing TDs left out there each and every week and yes it is affecting the outcomes of the games.

As ive said numerous times today: Offense is top 10 in pts scored this season and dating back to last season as well. Bills have scored the most points through 11 games since 1992 (for the Bills franchise). We scored 28pts today.

We are 8-7 in games where we score +25points since 2015. We should be no worse than 10-5 or even 11-4 when scoring that much. So whats affecting what?

The Defense was good today though. And last week too.

I don't understand. He finally had a healthy front 7, and before Darby got hurt only 1 player missing in the secondary

How come our Dline barely gets pressure on the QB anymore. What the hell is going on?? Why does Rex get 3 years to fix this defense when it looks worse every single week? Is his scheme outdated, has it been figured out?

What happened to the exotic formations and blitz packages that confuses QB's, we play the most vanilla defense ever. Is that bc the players suck or Rex can't coach anymore? His defense was awful in NY the last 3 or so years there. They blamed the players, he comes here and it looks no different..maybe even worse with our bad run defense

If we had a top 10 or even 15 defense we would easily have 2-3 more wins. Jets, Miami, Seattle games all come to mind.

Don't look now but after 10 games, the Bills defense is #12 in yards allowed per game. And #13 in points/game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Look. There are thousands of people coaching defensive football in the U.S. and Canada. The really good ones coach at the college level. The very best of them coach in the NFL. The very, very best of them make it to DC or HC.

And out of all those, only a handful are putting up better stats than Rex.

I'm not saying Rex is a defensive guru. But to declare that he's "lost" just isn't reality.

I agree for sure. There are multiple factors (I'm not a fan of Rex's defensive philosophy).

me neither, if we can get a new D scheme and keep our offensive system and a new QB (Romo, Cousins) we could do some real damage in this league.

Odd day today for the defense. Need to be better on 3rd down next week but the couple of big plays that really hurt were Bortles scrambling.

However, the secondary continued their upswing for the most part, Dareus has a monster game and we made some crucial plays at the end.

I just worry next week how we will get Oakland off the field. If it turns into a shootout we can't keep pace with them.

I really think the Raiders and Steelers O are going to tear us up.

Don't look now but after 10 games, the Bills defense is #12 in yards allowed per game. And #13 in points/game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Look. There are thousands of people coaching defensive football in the U.S. and Canada. The really good ones coach at the college level. The very best of them coach in the NFL. The very, very best of them make it to DC or HC.

And out of all those, only a handful are putting up better stats than Rex.

I'm not saying Rex is a defensive guru. But to declare that he's "lost" just isn't reality.

Other than a few games this season the defense has been good. Dareus/lawson/ragland/AW hurt us.

As ive said numerous times today: Offense is top 10 in pts scored this season and dating back to last season as well. Bills have scored the most points through 11 games since 1992 (for the Bills franchise). We scored 28pts today.

We are 8-7 in games where we score +25points since 2015. We should be no worse than 10-5 or even 11-4 when scoring that much. So whats affecting what?

The Defense was good today though. And last week too.

I hear what you're saying.....but most don't want to hear it. It doesn't fit their narrative.

AW is very good and Jonathan Meeks is very bad. It isn't just that Aaron Williams is a good NFL player, it's that the guys behind him couldn't play in the CFL. The gap between Williams to Blanton/Meeks is a chasm. Ihedigbo looked like he had a pulse so Maybe he is an upgrade. That has really hurt the defense though.

This falls on Whaley to not have some decent backup players on the roster and what doesn't help it is Ryan's defense playing so much man coverage.

Yes, the Bills have better stats on defense now but that has been against some bad QB's this year. This defense hasn't been able to slow down the QB's with a winning record for two years now even with a fully healthy defense and AW playing. He was playing in the first two games this year and the defense was horrible in week two against the NY Jets in giving up 100 yards and 3 rushing TD's to Forte along with 374 yards passing to Fitz. A total of 493 yards given up to the Jets who are currently 3-8.

As bad as the team looks against the pass the stats say they are currently 8th against the pass and are 21st against the run.

Let's see how this defense does against the 9-2 Raiders with Carr, the 6-5 Steelers with Big Ben and the 7-4 Dolphins with Tannehill.

While the 2016 Buffalo Bills are the #2 team in sacks, they are also 15th in defensive hurries. The Miami Dolphins are the #1 team in the league in defensive hurries with 93, Buffalo has 67.

Look at the teams the Bills have beaten this year, the 4-6 Cards, the Patriots who were forced to start an injured 3rd string rookie QB (1-1) who went on IR after the Bills game. The 4-7 Rams, the 1-10 49ers, the 3-7 Bengals, the 2-9 Jaguars.

Show me a win against a team with a winning record or two this season and I might concede that the OP doesn't have a point!

Rexs entire defensive scheme is based on safties and what they can do. From Aaron Williams hurt to Duke to Blanton to Meeks to the last three have been terrible. Ihedigbo comes in off the street and starts, I'm hoping he will round into playing better as we go. Take Meeks off the field we win 28-7

a big part of what's wrong with the D. Can we get Jim Leonard out of retirement?

Can posters be ranked?

this hasn't been updated in awhile.....

RELIABILITY METER (#1 is best.......#17 is worst)

#1- nevergiveup

#2- BuffaloATL

#3- metzelaars_lives

#4- kelly blue book

#5- farmers almanac

#6- nostradamus

#7- TMZ

#8- punxsutawney phil

#9- weatherman

#10- economist

#11- ESPN Insiders

#12- psychic

#13- momma pecoraro

#14- Thurman Thomas

#15- Mayans

#16- Skooby and sources deep within

#17- Bleacher Report

I'm bringing up solid facts

It's funny bc you fans are so delusional you can't even bring up good counter arguements

All you do is tell me to stop posting, which shows what I'm saying is 100% correct

The only thing 100% is that you are a closet racist.

This falls on Whaley to not have some decent backup players on the roster and what doesn't help it is Ryan's defense playing so much man coverage.

Yes, the Bills have better stats on defense now but that has been against some bad QB's this year. This defense hasn't been able to slow down the QB's with a winning record for two years now even with a fully healthy defense and AW playing. He was playing in the first two games this year and the defense was horrible in week two against the NY Jets in giving up 100 yards and 3 rushing TD's to Forte along with 374 yards passing to Fitz. A total of 493 yards given up to the Jets who are currently 3-8.

As bad as the team looks against the pass the stats say they are currently 8th against the pass and are 21st against the run.

Let's see how this defense does against the 9-2 Raiders with Carr, the 6-5 Steelers with Big Ben and the 7-4 Dolphins with Tannehill.

While the 2016 Buffalo Bills are the #2 team in sacks, they are also 15th in defensive hurries. The Miami Dolphins are the #1 team in the league in defensive hurries with 93, Buffalo has 67.

Look at the teams the Bills have beaten this year, the 4-6 Cards, the Patriots who were forced to start an injured 3rd string rookie QB (1-1) who went on IR after the Bills game. The 4-7 Rams, the 1-10 49ers, the 3-7 Bengals, the 2-9 Jaguars.

Show me a win against a team with a winning record or two this season and I might concede that the OP doesn't have a point!

The dolphins have wins over cleveland, NYJ, chargers, Rams, and Niners... and needed OT, a KR TD, an INT TD, 2 TDs in the last 4 minutes, and a goalline stop in the 4th quarter to win those games. Against 3 of the worst teams in the league, and 2 mediocre teams. Throw us in there as another mediocre team they beat.

Should their stats be discounted too?

Our D is currently ranked #10. 22 other teams are worse than the Bills at denying the opponent yards.

So I don't see the argument as black or white. Rex isn't a defensive guru. Neither is he lost.

To get to #10 this year with all the games missed by key players is a notable accomplishment. Still, I don't think that Rex's defensive acumen is in the same league as Bill Belichick or Pete Carroll. Jim Schwartz might be better at coaching defense as has often been argued - though their overall resumes are comparable.

On the whole, I think our coaching staff is in the frustrating middle. They're good enough not to get fired. Not so good to take us to a Super Bowl.

I don't know that there really is a consistent dominate defense in the league this year. Denver is supposed to be at the top and their D was the reason they lost to KC. Buffalo is ranked in the top 10 believe it or not. I do think AW is a big loss, Meeks is terrible and beyond Gilmore and Darby (who have both been up and down), there isn't much depth. Corey White is not even close to good.

The dolphins have wins over cleveland, NYJ, chargers, Rams, and Niners... and needed OT, a KR TD, an INT TD, 2 TDs in the last 4 minutes, and a goalline stop in the 4th quarter to win those games. Against 3 of the worst teams in the league, and 2 mediocre teams. Throw us in there as another mediocre team they beat.

Should their stats be discounted too?

The Miami Dolphins also pounded the Pittsburgh Steelers 30 to 15 and yes that was with a Big Ben just coming back from an injury. And they needed an overtime to beat the lowly Browns. They also beat the 6-6 Titans 17-30.

So yes, you could say the Dolphins this year are doing good because they have beaten a bunch of bad teams. They are currently 7-4 and I don't have much faith that they can beat the 6-5 @ Baltimore Ravens. However. they then face the Cardinals,@ Jets, @ Bills, Patriots.

The odds I give them is to finish the season at 10-6 and perhaps make the playoffs and they have a better chance to make the playoffs than the Bills. The Phins are 5-1 at home, 5-3 in the AFC, 2-1 in the Division