Walt Patulski

WotAGuy

Nice bit of Bills history about a guy considered by many as one of the league's biggest draft busts. Tim Graham sheds some light on the career of the "bust" from Walt's perspective. I gained an appreciation of a man I remember playing during a fun time to be a Bills fan.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/19/busting-40-years-nfl-darkness-walt-patulski-explains-went-wrong/

Nice bit of Bills history about a guy considered by many as one of the league's biggest draft busts. Tim Graham sheds some light on the career of the "bust" from Walt's perspective. I gained an appreciation of a man I remember playing during a fun time to be a Bills fan.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/19/busting-40-years-nfl-darkness-walt-patulski-explains-went-wrong/

Read this earlier today. Enjoyed it.

Very good article. I was just a little homer back then, but I never considered Patulski to be a bust, just disappointing.

One thing though, Graham is dead wrong about Emtman, he would've been great if not for his injuries.

Erik Flowers, Aaron Mabin, Tom Ruud, Perry Tuttle, John McCargo, Phil Dokes, Real First Round Bust....

If we're talking Bills, you can't forget Mike Williams (the OT from Texas)

NFL: you can't leave out JeMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

Erik Flowers, Aaron Mabin, Tom Ruud, Perry Tuttle, John McCargo, Phil Dokes, Real First Round Bust....

man, those are all solid Bills's number one busts. i think if you further evaluate them, it is hard to say who is the worst of the worst.. in my opinion, it has to be maybin.. especially if you look at a couple taken after him, namely cushing and matthews.

I would put Tom Ruud and Bob Nelson up there too. That 75 Bills team was great on offense but the D was awful. If those two players has come in and performed and Doug Jones and Robert James hadn't been injured the story of that and Walt Patulski might have been different. Not sure if I would call Tony Hunter a bust. He was the victim of a truly bad trade by then GM Terry Bledsoe for Vince Feragamo. That trade cost Bledsoe his job but opened the door for Bill Polian aka Bill "who".

Edited by GRHater69

I think the impression of Patulski being a huge bust comes from his status as a consensus great college player and No 1 overall pick in only the seventh combined draft (starting with AFL-NFL in 1966). He had a decent career, but not one worthy of a No 1 overall pick. I thought comparing him to others in his draft class, etc was kind of meaningless. His performance and career stands in its own and the performance of others in his draft class isn't relevant.

I thought the stats about sacks and fewer pass attempts was helpful in framing Patulski's performance as measured by sacks. I thought the biggest takeaway was his persona and game day demeanor as opposed to Saban's preferences. Saban sounds like he was a pretty difficult guy to play for if you weren't of his mindset. Saban had some great ends during his earlier Bills stint (Day, McDole) and he probably expected even more out of Patulski given those other guys weren't high draft picks.

McDole was 4th round and Day was 20th round.

Also interesting how that aborted punt block still stings. Just a very revealing look at a guy who has always been a bit of a mystery.

I always thought of Patulski as a bust - even though I knew his stats showed some productivity. I guess I was influenced by Saban's public statements.

Getting the other side of the story was interesting, if sad. Glad he's doing well now.

Throw in Terry Miller and Booker Moore (rip). Maybe just maybed the reasons for the 2-14 years in the 80s was due to some bad drafting. Every team has bad picks. Its the nature of the game.

Terry Miller rushed for over 1,000 yards as a rookie at 4.5 yards per pop. Then developed vision problems that ruined his career. Not a classic bust.

Edited by hondo in seattle