Snow blowers

Punching Bag

It is getting that time of year (maybe already in WNY) that a snow blower is going to be needed soon. Last year our snow blower broke and thinking we need a more heavy duty one. Northern VA does not get as much snow as WNY always but we get we WNY like storms down here. Last year we were snowed in for more than a week and it was only a week because we live near major (major for VA) road.

I looked into snow blowers and I think we need a Two-Stage Gas Snow Blower, last year we had a One-Stage one. Electric will not work for it is too large of an area. The Two-Stage seem a lot more complicated - what do I need to watch out for? Any brands with experience?

Stay away from any brand made by MTD, like Troybilt. Go Ariens or 3stage Cub Cadet

HAHA good to see my opinion has not changed in a year

And whatever you do - DO NOT put your hand down the chute of a two stage. You'll be missing fingers or more. We had a IH 2 stage when I was growing up. Dad showed me the implications of doing such by putting a broom handle into the chute and having it hit the impeller. Not pretty.

And whatever you do - DO NOT put your hand down the chute of a two stage. You'll be missing fingers or more. We had a IH 2 stage when I was growing up. Dad showed me the implications of doing such by putting a broom handle into the chute and having it hit the impeller. Not pretty.

I had a friend in college who was from Cleveland and learned that lesson the hard way. Very nasty.

That is what I bought with the extended warranty.

I am most concerned with maintenance.

I know nothing about mechanics/engines; my wife tinkers a bit since she needed to keep her own machines in order but this is completely different type of beast!

I know nothing about mechanics/engines; my wife tinkers a bit since she needed to keep her own machines in order but this is completely different type of beast!

I hear ya. I barely know how to put gas in the thing. My father "winterizes" it once or twice a year when he visits. I think he checks the regular oil, tops off the drum oil, and adds some type of fuel additive for ethanol even though I use ethanol free fuel. This snow blower is a beast, and has an Ariens engine.

We've had this machine for going on 3 years....not one single problem. The electric start is great!

I wish there was a rideable appliance which did grass cutting, leaf gathering/mulching, fertilizing and snow care.

When researching snow blowers I saw an appliance, non rideable, which allowed you to connect various tools including hoses for cleaning leaves but I am looking for more of a riding lawnmower or cart which you can do more than just grass.