Snow blowers

Punching Bag

I wish there was a rideable appliance which did grass cutting, leaf gathering/mulching, fertilizing and snow care.

You didn't look hard enough then. Plenty of rider mowers also have attachments that do any of the jobs you mentioned.

Here's just one example

https://m.deere.com/en_INT/products/attachment/riding_mower_attachments/riding_mower_attachments.page

Looked at multiple stores locally and none had any of this type of equipment.

The idea only came to me after when I saw the mobile tool power station.

We just bought a new lawn mower over summer and not sure we could cancel order so will keep it in mind for next time.

Thanks for info.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 7 or 8 HP Ariens from the 70s (whatever was the highest at the time, because my father believed that Buffalo winters needed the biggest snowblowers).

I'm not handy at all, so every year, I have a company pick up my snowblower and get it ready for the season. Tune up, I guess - and replace the gas, etc.

It costs me 140 (but I felt damn, this thing has been good for 40+ years, why stop doing what I've been doing), and I was told that was stupid today - because I can buy a new one for about $400.

I just googled to see how true that was - and found out that mowers and snowblowers no longer are measured in HP............so, I have no idea how to compare - anybody have any idea what a 7-8 HP Ariens would be equivalent to in today's models?

It costs me 140 (but I felt damn, this thing has been good for 40+ years, why stop doing what I've been doing), and I was told that was stupid today - because I can buy a new one for about $400.

But how long will that $400 unit last?

Well - you can convert displacement to horsepower here. http://www3.telus.net/shebang/engine_cc_to_hp_calculator.html

The Ariens Deluxe 28 is about 8HP. I'll let you take it from here.

Thanks! So, it would cost me probably $1200 for a comparable one to what I have now.

But how long will that $400 unit last?

Exactly! This one was working during the Blizzard of '77 and probably before. My father also bought a Toro in between - he took care of my grandmother's house, too. That one came after and is long gone.

Crazy that this thing is 40+ years old and still is great.

Well - you can convert displacement to horsepower here. http://www3.telus.net/shebang/engine_cc_to_hp_calculator.html

The Ariens Deluxe 28 is about 8HP. I'll let you take it from here.

Yesterday We picked up an Ariens Platinum 30 SHO with a 414cc under the hood. It was time as the 30 year old Trusty Snapper was worn out and falling apart.

Thanks! So, it would cost me probably $1200 for a comparable one to what I have now.

Exactly! This one was working during the Blizzard of '77 and probably before. My father also bought a Toro in between - he took care of my grandmother's house, too. That one came after and is long gone.

Crazy that this thing is 40+ years old and still is great.

The old model doesn't have any of the pesky safety features that everything has now because of idiots.

30 year old trusty snapper was worn out. Giggity!

I see what you did there, and how true it is.

I have a 7 or 8 HP Ariens from the 70s (whatever was the highest at the time, because my father believed that Buffalo winters needed the biggest snowblowers).

I'm not handy at all, so every year, I have a company pick up my snowblower and get it ready for the season. Tune up, I guess - and replace the gas, etc.

I just googled to see how true that was - and found out that mowers and snowblowers no longer are measured in HP............so, I have no idea how to compare - anybody have any idea what a 7-8 HP Ariens would be equivalent to in today's models?

Not stupid at all. Paying $140/year for a reliable machine that also has nostalgia? That's smart.

And a $400 snowblower isn't going to last very long.

A 300-ish cc snowblower would be between 7-8 HP. Brand new, that size Ariens is over $1000.

Tell whomever called you stupid that DC Tom would like to speak to him (just three words).

Not stupid at all. Paying $140/year for a reliable machine that also has nostalgia? That's smart.

And a $400 snowblower isn't going to last very long.

A 300-ish cc snowblower would be between 7-8 HP. Brand new, that size Ariens is over $1000.

Tell whomever called you stupid that DC Tom would like to speak to him (just three words).

:lol: