A tale of two quarterbacks:

How do you think Tyrod sucks? Like I really don't understand. If you say he is average that's one thing. But sucks? If he played with the bills defence from 2014 last year, he easily played well enough to get into the playoffs. Yes he has a few flaws. But man, I really don't understand the bashing with this guy. Is he Tom Brady? No. But he is a competent QB

Competent? I will respectfully disagree.

He's capable of managing a game IF the defense is on its game AND special teams are, too.

A few flaws? Inability to read a defense. Inability to call audibles. Inability to step up into the pocket. Inability to pass with any consistent accuracy outside of sideline passes; he is indecisive; he holds the ball too long; he abandons plays too quickly, leaving receivers open.

Damn. You're right. I guess it's not that bad, is it.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to demand running stats from a QB as part of the analysis, be prepared to explain the injuries that come with it. TT himself was injured and missed 2 games last season in the Tennessee game when he ran.

The QB's who survive and win in the NFL do so with their arm, not scrambling around into the teeth of a defense. There are exceptions like the 250# Cam Newton and Russell Wilson, who now is very much a passer first. TT is not, nor demonstrated the week to week ability to read defenses and make crucial throws when it matters most.

Tannehill is average and overpaid. My sense is that's TT's ceiling as well. And neither Miami or Buffalo are going anywhere this year. After 4 seasons apprenticing in Baltimore and 23 NFL starts, one would hope TT would rank better than the 25th or worse in the NFL for completions, completion %, yards passing, and yards/attempt.

He ain't getting paid to run.

Of course he is getting paid to run. He is a short QB who makes up for his lack of height by moving around behind the LOS and keeping defenses honest with his feet.

I'm going to give you the stat lines for two quarterbacks in the AFC. No names, I'd like you to identify them:

65.3% Completion, 2117 yards, 10 TD 7 INT, 91.3 rating.

60.4% completion, 1769 yards, 10 TD 3 INT, 87.7 rating.

Name those quarterbacks.

Tannehill first 32 starts: 59.4%, 36 td 30 int, 6.8 ypa, 79 rating

Taylor first 23 starts: 62.3%, 30 td 9 int, 7.4 ypa, 94 rating

I'm sure this proves something...

For your review, blended 2015-2016 stats:

QB Taylor Tannehill
CMP 404 539
ATT 648 851
CMP% 62% 63%
Pass Yds 4804 6325
Pass Avg 7.41%. 7.43
Pass TD 30 34
Int 9 19
QBR 68.5 54
RAT 92 90
Rush Yds 930 232
Rush TDs 8 2
Total Yds 5734 6557
Total TDs 38 36

This does not support the OP's statement! Please leave the evidence and facts out of it.

I'm going to give you the stat lines for two quarterbacks in the AFC. No names, I'd like you to identify them:

65.3% Completion, 2117 yards, 10 TD 7 INT, 91.3 rating.

60.4% completion, 1769 yards, 10 TD 3 INT, 87.7 rating.

Name those quarterbacks.

Correct.

For YEARS I've heard how terrible Tannehill is around here and yet...he's outperforming the golden boy.

Go figure.

Well I'll give you a couple stats. Who are they?

Total yards - 2,208 total TDs - 11 total turnovers - 9

Total yards - 2,131 total TDs - 13 total turnovers - 4

Now you gotta ask yourself how is option 1 better than option 2? Oh that's right, he's not.

How is a 8.55 total yards more per game, less total TDs and more than twice the turnovers better. Oh that's right, they're not.

http://www.nfl.com/player/ryantannehill/2532956/gamelogs

http://www.nfl.com/player/tyrodtaylor/2495240/gamelogs

Competent? I will respectfully disagree.

He's capable of managing a game IF the defense is on its game AND special teams are, too.

A few flaws? Inability to read a defense. Inability to call audibles. Inability to step up into the pocket. Inability to pass with any consistent accuracy outside of sideline passes; he is indecisive; he holds the ball too long; he abandons plays too quickly, leaving receivers open.

Damn. You're right. I guess it's not that bad, is it.

No it's really not lol. You are making it sound 10 times worse than he is. Does he do those things sometimes? Absolutely, just like most Qbs in this league. I guess you forgot to mention his ability to get away from pass rush, his ability for defences to respect him as a runner opening up running holes for mccoy, his deep ball, his rushing yards.. You literally just focused on his negatives and made him sound way worse than he actually is. He is by no means great or maybe even good, but I really don't get how you say he is bad. Best bills QB we have had in 20 years and fans like you want to run this guy out of town.. Oh and the fact that he never turns the ball over and never putting his team in a bad spot. I guess you want to neglect that part too

Edited by billsfan11

No it's really not lol. You are making it sound 10 times worse than he is. Does he do those things sometimes? Absolutely, just like most Qbs in this league. I guess you forgot to mention his ability to get away from pass rush, his ability for defences to respect him as a runner opening up running holes for mccoy, his deep ball, his rushing yards.. You literally just focused on his negatives and made him sound way worse than he actually is. He is by no means great or maybe even good, but I really don't get how you say he is bad. Best bills QB we have had in 20 years and fans like you want to run this guy out of town.. Oh and the fact that he never turns the ball over and never putting his team in a bad spot. I guess you want to neglect that part too

First, fans don't run professional athletes out of town. This isn't the PTA, it's the NFL.

You said, "he is by no means great or maybe even good," and you want to build around THAT?? I don't.

How many of those deep balls have won games? (the answer is zero)

Kace Keenum is the best Rams QB since Kurt Warner .... does that make him good? No. He sucks and the Rams suck for keeping him in there.

If I was tasked with dumping the ball off, or running around like an idiot before throwing the ball out of bounds, I wouldn't turn the ball over, either. That stat is only good when TIMELY touchdowns are thrown and the TEAM is actually winning games against teams who don't suck.

But I guess you want to neglect all of this. Ahhhh ... The Church of Tyrod is going STRONG!!!!

First, fans don't run professional athletes out of town. This isn't the PTA, it's the NFL.

You said, "he is by no means great or maybe even good," and you want to build around THAT?? I don't.

How many of those deep balls have won games? (the answer is zero)

Kace Keenum is the best Rams QB since Kurt Warner .... does that make him good? No. He sucks and the Rams suck for keeping him in there.

If I was tasked with dumping the ball off, or running around like an idiot before throwing the ball out of bounds, I wouldn't turn the ball over, either. That stat is only good when TIMELY touchdowns are thrown and the TEAM is actually winning games against teams who don't suck.

But I guess you want to neglect all of this. Ahhhh ... The Church of Tyrod is going STRONG!!!!

Your argument is Tyrod is bad. ​I never said I would give him the 25 million a year for 7 years yet. My point is he is a average NFL QB who shows a lot of promise with the potential to get better. Jon Gruden who studies QBs for a living even said the guy can play. I never said the guy is good because there have been 20 years of bad QB behind him. My point is we finally have a competent QB and people like you want him gone. Would you rather them draft another EJ Manuel or Jp Losman? Or how about sign another Fitz for 50 million? Your point is Tyrod sucks. First off I disagree, and second off what is your solution to replace him next year?

Promise and potential go away after a few years. He's had 6. What you see is what you get. He is not competent. I do want him gone. I would MUCH rather draft an unknown, rather than keep putting a known crap QB out on the field. That's what we've been doing for 17 years now. It's old. It's not fun to watch anymore.

My solution is to get rid of him. Then TRY someone else, because he's proven two things. He's very exciting. And he's very bad while being exciting.

Promise and potential go away after a few years. He's had 6. What you see is what you get. He is not competent. I do want him gone. I would MUCH rather draft an unknown, rather than keep putting a known crap QB out on the field. That's what we've been doing for 17 years now. It's old. It's not fun to watch anymore.

My solution is to get rid of him. Then TRY someone else, because he's proven two things. He's very exciting. And he's very bad while being exciting.

So your solution is to just get rid of him and take a shot in the dark in the 2017 draft? I Will say, I am very happy you are not the GM of the bills lol

Edited by billsfan11

I've been quite long enough. Here are some stats for you.

65-102, 63.7, 722, 7.07, 3-2, 85.0, rush- 13, 49, 3.77, 1TD

72-107, 67.3, 832, 7.78, 5-2, 99.4, rush- 15, 96, 6.40, 1TD

The nice thing about division rival comparisons are common opponents. It's not even close and it's the fairest way possible. I look at things objectively not with bias. Proper evaluation looks for the truth and is not used to prove ones own point. An honest evaluation may sometimes change the opinion of the one who evaluates.

Both have played NE, Seattle, and the Jets. Tyrod is not Tom Brady but Tanny reminds me of Fitzy. Now that is inconsistent.

I intentionally left out the second NE game due to the fact that Miami has played NE only once and the best comparison possible was our first NE game as they were close to the same time.

Edited by manbeast

So your solution is to just get rid of him and take a shot in the dark in the 2017 draft? I Will say, I am very happy you are not the GM of the bills lol

Because all of the GMs in the past 17 years have done so well with getting a QB in Buffalo?

I wonder how much of this is receiver ability, and how much of it is lousy pass placement.

It is a bit of both. Tyrod has been inaccurate.

May be the Bills should first put supporting talent around him to completely evaluate him before getting rid of him. I agree he has not been a good closer...All good/great QBs know how to win games when it is on the line. But he still needs help. And don't forget our Defense...it has been crappy!

It is a bit of both. Tyrod has been inaccurate.

May be the Bills should first put supporting talent around him to completely evaluate him before getting rid of him. I agree he has not been a good closer...All good/great QBs know how to win games when it is on the line. But he still needs help. And don't forget our Defense...it has been crappy!

I think his supporting cast is excellent talent wise but health is another story.

He has sucked when his supporting cast was healthy, too. Don't forget ... he played 14 games last season and being down Sammy Watkins isn't a get out of jail free card. Every team has injuries.

Enough excuses. For Christ's sake.