Bye Week Topic: Doug Flutie

Jkgobills

He was a crappy QB and an even crappier team mate/professional who selfishly divided the locker room.

To this day, the happiest day of my life as a Bills fan is the day he packed his schit, left and never came back.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was a feel-good story for many folks, but the reality is that he simply wasn't that good.

He was better than the other guy (which isn't saying much), and because he was able to make enough plays within a run-first offense, the team won games. Most of the credit for his record as a starter here, however, should go to a defense that finished in the top 3 in the NFL in both seasons here.

I wasn't a fan of him personally, as I don't think he was a good teammate, but moreover, he simply wasn't a very good QB.

In 1997 I moved out of WNY and to NC. Technology being what it was at that time my Bills updates were limited to the following:

1). Phone calls to my Dad

2)occasional AM talk radio on a favorable weather night

3) ESPN

4). The print version of the Bills Digest....which always arrived to NC two weeks late!

In short, my access to Bills info was severely limited during Flutie's career in Buffalo. The good news was that I could find Bills games on TV during that time and watch games.

The Bills signed Flutie in January of 1998. In the 1999 season he was 10-5 as a starter. He played some decent football and was part of a winning team. He wasn't a QB to build around long term, but he played well enough for a while. From down in NC it seemed like a great story, and a nice way for Flutie to "finish" his NFL career (I know he played some in NFL after the Bills). Like I stated, great story, decent QB, not the long term answer.

Fast forwardseveral years to the Internet, TBD, and the stadium wall. Over the years, I have seen lots of negative comments attributed to Flutie on this board.

So I ask, what did I miss during his time in Buffalo that has people hating him some much? Was he a jack ass around town? In the Locker Room? Was he too short? Did he piss in someone's Flutie Flakes?

Just looking for some local Intel on this subject, maybe folks could help fill me in. Granted, it was more than 15 years ago, so I appreciate memories may be a bit hazy.

He just wasn't good.. He had a few plays here and there he pull out of his ass, but overall he just wasn't that good

I hated him because so many thought he was way better than he is and was..

Plus he used the media to air his grievances..

I hate him more today that i did then because people still want to talk about this completely over rated....

Edited by ddaryl

That was a great time in Bills football , very exciting !! I my self wasn't in WNY either but the Bills were talked about a lot on ESPN & other places on cable TV .

I later after joining TBD wrote a post about Flutie & it was filled with a ton of negativity about him of which i never could understand ?

But being a Bills fan from a very young age i have come to expect the unexpected from the Bills fans here & on different sites, Not that i understand it any more but it is what it is if your a Bills fan !!

So i just go on digging the fact that Flutie was such a great player for our team & i will continue to support his time here as a huge fan of his !! He was a Buffalo Bills type player always the underdog always giving 110% !!

Flute Rocks & always will !! GO BILLS !!

Johnson was the prototypical qb and had a good arm.

RJ>Flutie

. Johnson had a great arm, was a great athlete as well, unfortunately no pocket presence and got hurt a lot. Flutie was a winner and I was a huge fan never understood the hate for him. Seemed to me he was never truley given a fair chance, felt the same about Fred Jackson his first 2-3 years here, far inferior backs were given chances repeatedly as Fred rode the pine.

As a self appointed Flute Hater, I went so far as to create a website with an online friend to relay my feelings when he signed there were a few factors. First when he signed we didn't have Rob Johnson on the roster and it came off the Todd Collins/Billy Joe Hobert failures. With Kelly retired and Thurman, Andre and Bruce Smith aging I felt it was time to turn the page and start building for a new future.

I think I remember that website. A fellow fan told me about it and told me the writer had a real hard on for Johnson.

Most of the hate for Flutie can be attributed one man: Chuck Dickerson. He railed against him incessantly.

Yes was the Jerry Sullivan of the era and his fans, the Dicks, were start of this current animosity from Bills fans.

The best answer in my mind is found in his CFL days. Flutie set records there. He won the Grey Cup three times, Grey Cup MVP three times, CFL MVP six times ... all in seven years. It sounds amazing until you understand that he did it with three different teams. There was something about him that made teams want to unload him, even as he was the best in the league there at that time.

From what I could see ... it was ALWAYS all about him and proving everyone wrong about his height. He was not a team player.

. Johnson had a great arm, was a great athlete as well, unfortunately no pocket presence and got hurt a lot. Flutie was a winner and I was a huge fan never understood the hate for him. Seemed to me he was never truley given a fair chance, felt the same about Fred Jackson his first 2-3 years here, far inferior backs were given chances repeatedly as Fred rode the pine.

This is another reason I hated Flutie (and those that rooted for him) as he's always getting credited for the win and usually when we lost it was someone else's fault and yet if we lost with RJ it was always RJ. Yet please tell me what did Flutie ever win? Look back at his numbers from 1999 they're horrible in terms of passing yards and had issues with ball security. He was a damned game manager and our offense was lucky to get more than 17 points a game.

In terms of Fred Jackson, he was playing behind Marshawn Lynch, did you happen to notice what Lynch did in Seattle? Oh that's right won a Super Bowl and had his OC given him a carry in the last play in another Super Bowl likely won another one but I know Fred was better because of what reason? Was Fred better than CJ Spiller I'd side with yes but that said CJ was an awesome back in 2012.

He was a crappy QB and an even crappier team mate/professional who selfishly divided the locker room.

To this day, the happiest day of my life as a Bills fan is the day he packed his schit, left and never came back.

You just hated him because he was taller than you!!!!

I liked both QBs quite a bit. Johnson seemed to have all the right tools, but couldn't produce wins. Flutie, the ultimate underdog, not great on paper, but seemed to have magic that simply produced. Living in San Diego at the time, I had a hard time getting news myself, but when games were on, I enjoyed them quite a bit.

I try not to talk about the 'miracle'.

I think I remember that website. A fellow fan told me about it and told me the writer had a real hard on for Johnson.

Yes was the Jerry Sullivan of the era and his fans, the Dicks, were start of this current animosity from Bills fans.

Looking back I can see that RJ had his faults, in fact I see a lot of the same issues in Tyrod ie sticking around too long waiting for something to happen the only difference is Tyrod a better athlete and escape pressure and avoid most sacks or can take a hit. RJ couldn't.

In 1997 I moved out of WNY and to NC. Technology being what it was at that time my Bills updates were limited to the following:

1). Phone calls to my Dad

2)occasional AM talk radio on a favorable weather night

3) ESPN

4). The print version of the Bills Digest....which always arrived to NC two weeks late!

In short, my access to Bills info was severely limited during Flutie's career in Buffalo. The good news was that I could find Bills games on TV during that time and watch games.

The Bills signed Flutie in January of 1998. In the 1999 season he was 10-5 as a starter. He played some decent football and was part of a winning team. He wasn't a QB to build around long term, but he played well enough for a while. From down in NC it seemed like a great story, and a nice way for Flutie to "finish" his NFL career (I know he played some in NFL after the Bills). Like I stated, great story, decent QB, not the long term answer.

Fast forwardseveral years to the Internet, TBD, and the stadium wall. Over the years, I have seen lots of negative comments attributed to Flutie on this board.

So I ask, what did I miss during his time in Buffalo that has people hating him some much? Was he a jack ass around town? In the Locker Room? Was he too short? Did he piss in someone's Flutie Flakes?

Just looking for some local Intel on this subject, maybe folks could help fill me in. Granted, it was more than 15 years ago, so I appreciate memories may be a bit hazy.

One of my favorite Bills of all time.

Both Flutie and Wade were great, and it's a greatness that the BILLS have seldom seen since.

Like them, or not, the end of that era was the beginning of our long painful slide. Wade especially took bad raps from a number of owners, before and after the BILLS, who may have regretted his departure. They both belong on the Wall!

Flutie wasn't great... he never won a playoff game and was a stopgap to eventually find us a real QB. Notice that very few teams that wanted him because against good teams he could not do the job.

I lived through years of his dumb crap alienating our Super Bowl veterans and half our fan base. Be done with his BS.