Bye Week Topic: Doug Flutie

Jkgobills

In 1997 I moved out of WNY and to NC. Technology being what it was at that time my Bills updates were limited to the following:

1). Phone calls to my Dad

2)occasional AM talk radio on a favorable weather night

3) ESPN

4). The print version of the Bills Digest....which always arrived to NC two weeks late!

In short, my access to Bills info was severely limited during Flutie's career in Buffalo. The good news was that I could find Bills games on TV during that time and watch games.

The Bills signed Flutie in January of 1998. In the 1999 season he was 10-5 as a starter. He played some decent football and was part of a winning team. He wasn't a QB to build around long term, but he played well enough for a while. From down in NC it seemed like a great story, and a nice way for Flutie to "finish" his NFL career (I know he played some in NFL after the Bills). Like I stated, great story, decent QB, not the long term answer.

Fast forwardseveral years to the Internet, TBD, and the stadium wall. Over the years, I have seen lots of negative comments attributed to Flutie on this board.

So I ask, what did I miss during his time in Buffalo that has people hating him some much? Was he a jack ass around town? In the Locker Room? Was he too short? Did he piss in someone's Flutie Flakes?

Just looking for some local Intel on this subject, maybe folks could help fill me in. Granted, it was more than 15 years ago, so I appreciate memories may be a bit hazy.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question and I was also long gone from WNY, so I don't have answers for you. What shocks me is the change in information technology in this relatively short time. I used to go the Chili's for lunch just to get the USA Today sports page once a week when they had the NFL two sentance comments for each team. Now? No shortage of info available. The bigger problem is not being caught in the avalanche!

i can't answer the questions from a local standpoint, I'm in the unique position of being a Bills fan since the early 70's who only gets to see maybe 3-4 games per year.

From what I saw, Flutie injected hope, optimism and competitiveness into the organization. As I recall, guys like Thurman and Bruce openly embraced him. This guy was a winner through and through but unfortunately his physical limitations (size and arm) were probably too much to overcome.

The Rob Johnson/Flutie situation was pretty crazy. i favored Flutie, but in fairness his limitations became more apparent the more he played.

And for the record, I still have an unopened box of Flutie Flakes!

I forgot about the USA today NFL "round up"! We were in an information desert back then compared to now.

My favorite thing in the USA Today was the special section the Monday before the NCAA tournament started; it was 8 pages (with ads) and included a capsule on each team with stats, lineups and a 2-3 sentence summary. I won multiple tourney pools by pouring over that section for 2 days.

I also remember the Monday section during football season had game recaps from the previous day; that was primary source of Bills info during the season; at least until I found gobills.com

p.s. Flutie > RJ

I'm old enough to remember the days before ESPN when your only chance to see a highlight from a Bills game (or any other team for that matter) was during halftime of the MNF game. Then came the "ten minute ticker" pioneered by NBC that flashed scores every 10 minutes on the bottum of your tv. Before USA Today, you could read one to two sentences about the bills in The Sporting News' weekly newspaper publication. Good times!

Also used to subscribe to Shout magazine. Is that publication still around?

Personally, I loved the Flutie years. He was such a leader on the field. Great excitement watching him play.

I forgot about the USA today NFL "round up"! We were in an information desert back then compared to now.

That news was gold back then! I would stop by to see my father and tell him what I read. Now I get texts from both my sons almost daily (which I will be eternally grateful for) about news within minutes of it hitting the Bills app. Oh my, the world is a changin'!

I'm old enough to remember the days before ESPN when your only chance to see a highlight from a Bills game (or any other team for that matter) was during halftime of the MNF game. Then came the "ten minute ticker" pioneered by NBC that flashed scores every 10 minutes on the bottum of your tv. Before USA Today, you could read one to two sentences about the bills in The Sporting News' weekly newspaper publication. Good times!

Also used to subscribe to Shout magazine. Is that publication still around?

Personally, I loved the Flutie years. He was such a leader on the field. Great excitement watching him play.

WOW! I forgot about the Shout magazine! I used to take that to my dad too. I can't imagine what my sons will see and share with their kids.

Flutie was the last hope that actually produced something. (Trying to respect the topic...)

The technology now vs then and how it impacts information flow is as much a part of the topic as Flutie. So far we seem to be in agreement that he came off as a good guy, good teammate, and good QB from our vantage points at the time. And SHOUT magazine and the USA today were gold!!

Doug Flutie was the best QB the Bills had after Kelly (yeah, I seddit!). The little guy had a chip on his shoulder the size of Alaska, but he was a winner. 21-9 as a Bills starter. Let that sink in. He was .700 in his time here, but we spent $25M on Scrub Johnson, so Ralph wanted him. Scrub was 9-17 as a Bills starter (.346). The problems began when Wade Phillips allowed Ralph to pressure him into starting Scrub over Flutie. Scrub couldn't hold Flutie's jockstrap, but the Bills actually decided to start that loser over Flutie. Flutie didn't take it laying down, and started a locker room campaign to get his job back. This split the Bills right down the middle. You were either for Scrub or Flutie, and the Bills blew apart. 8-8 after the Throw Forward, then 3-13 after Flutie left. Flutie went 5-11 for the Chargers that year, who had no defense, giving many here the justification to hate Flutie even more. Unfortunately, we didn't get the confirmation from Wade Phillips until after Ralph passed away, that Ralph demanded that Scrub start against the Titians. Wade should have told Ralph to go bleep himself, but he didn't have the nad. Thus started the drought, and the curse of Flutie.

If you go by stats alone, he wasn't very good. But much like Tebow he just knew how to win. That's something you can't measure. The issue was he wasn't Jim Kelly, he was short, old, wasn't the future. We were spoiled in those days and we expected Super Bowl or bust. Rob Johnson was Ralph's shiny new toy and was more or less forced on the coaches. Poor Wade. Doug never had the chance he deserved here imo and like you said went on for many years after in San Diego and New England. His couple of seasons in Buffalo were a blur and there was probably a lot of love lost by they way he was forced out

In 1997 I moved out of WNY and to NC. Technology being what it was at that time my Bills updates were limited to the following:

3) ESPN

4). The print version of the Bills Digest....which always arrived to NC two weeks late!

In short, my access to Bills info was severely limited during Flutie's career in Buffalo. The good news was that I could find Bills games on TV during that time and watch games.

The Bills signed Flutie in January of 1998. In the 1999 season he was 10-5 as a starter. He played some decent football and was part of a winning team. He wasn't a QB to build around long term, but he played well enough for a while. From down in NC it seemed like a great story, and a nice way for Flutie to "finish" his NFL career (I know he played some in NFL after the Bills). Like I stated, great story, decent QB, not the long term answer.

Fast forwardseveral years to the Internet, TBD, and the stadium wall. Over the years, I have seen lots of negative comments attributed to Flutie on this board.

So I ask, what did I miss during his time in Buffalo that has people hating him some much? Was he a jack ass around town? In the Locker Room? Was he too short? Did he piss in someone's Flutie Flakes?

Just looking for some local Intel on this subject, maybe folks could help fill me in. Granted, it was more than 15 years ago, so I appreciate memories may be a bit hazy.

Could not play in the pocket, once teams figured that out they boxed him in and he was done.

As a self appointed Flute Hater, I went so far as to create a website with an online friend to relay my feelings when he signed there were a few factors. First when he signed we didn't have Rob Johnson on the roster and it came off the Todd Collins/Billy Joe Hobert failures. With Kelly retired and Thurman, Andre and Bruce Smith aging I felt it was time to turn the page and start building for a new future.

Flute, while great in the CFL, was less than average in his first stint in the NFL, over aged and in his first shot in NFL (see Jim McMahon quotes) and CFL not a great teammate. Toss in his short stature to me it felt like this is the most insane idea ever and the day after he signed the Flute Haters site was created.

Then we traded for RJ and called it the new combo of Wade and RJ and felt like the Bills might have something. As a draftnik I remember RJ stock being high coming out of USC and he had that great NFL debut so my hope of a true QB of the future. Fast forward to the regular season RJ is horrible his first two games and like everyone else, what did we trade for? This kid is horrible. Then he plays really well in the Rams game but gets hurt and we lost in part RJ got hurt and Flute couldn't kill the clock at the end and the defense can't stop Tony Banks. RJ is back for our next game against a tough 49ers team and we win.

Next up the Colts and RJ gets hurt and leaves the game. Then "the game that started the hype". Aka the Jaguar bootleg game where Flutie magic was born. I remember an interview with Flutie in which he said the initial play was set for Thurman and Flutie changed it for him to take it instead something in way he worded it came off cocky and didn't sit with me too well. People started to forget how RJ played in the Rams and 49ers games and attributing Flutie the reason for the turn around.

I was close to embracing him too and then he played horrible in the Jets game and it reminded me that we had guys like Moulds, Antowain Smith and Marcellus Wiley emerging yet sitting out QB of the future who realistically only lost his job because of injury.

I watched Flutie closer after the Jets game and voiced concerns that this 37 year old isnt going to lead us anywhere as he has holes in his game. To most it didn't matter cuz we were winning "because of Flutie magic". Fast forward to season finale and RJ plays outstanding against the Saints but not noticed by many as it's Flutie's team now. The Miami playoff game that most remember for Flutie's long pass to Moulds I remember as a costly interception before half time and a Flutie sack and fumble to end the game's last few seconds.

Then the 1999 season out defense keeps us in most games and our offense good enough to win most games. Yet offense and Flutie really bad in like Weeks 12 or so on.

RJ gets to play in the season finale against Colts and plays great. The offense looks better than had for weeks. Then the Titans playoff game. RJ isn't great as getting harassed by Jevon "the Freak" Kearse all day but then again he's playing with an injured oline. Yet in the last few minutes RJ does his Flutie impression and musters enough including a crazy scramble/pass where his shoe comes off and sock is stretched. I'm thinking finally RJ will be embraced by my fellow Bills fans because he lead us to a playoff win. But no Darryl Porter can't stay in his lane and Homerun throwback happens. Post game interview Flutie feels we'd win if he started and my hate boils over even more as no way anyone can say that for certain and the audacity he'd say it shows Doug's true side.

Soon after Butler has to let emerging players go as,Flutie/RJ cap numbers killing us. I could write more but damn this already so long but some feedback how/why I hated Flutie. As specifically I never viewed him as a viable long term answer at QB, was far from a Great player/team mate and felt he cost us valuable time developing/discovering if RJ was indeed a QB that could be counted on. As felt RJ could develop into a better player with more playing time. As let's not forget RJ prior to arriving g here had 1 NFL start. Sure Flutie was slightly better but how many USFL, NFL and CFL starts didchevhsve before arriving? Flutie by comparison was nothing more than a glorified game manager QB in 1999 and beyond.

Edited by The Jokeman

As a self appointed Flute Hater, I went so far as to create a website with an online friend to relay my feelings when he signed there were a few factors. First when he signed we didn't have Rob Johnson on the roster and it came off the Todd Collins/Billy Joe Hobert failures. With Kelly retired and Thurman, Andre and Bruce Smith aging I felt it was time to turn the page and start building for a new future.

Flute, while great in the CFL, was less than average in his first stint in the NFL, over aged and in his first shot in NFL (see Jim McMahon quotes) and CFL not a great teammate. Toss in his short stature to me it felt like this is the most insane idea ever and the day after he signed the Flute Haters site was created.

Then we traded for RJ and called it the new combo of Wade and RJ and felt like the Bills might have something. As a draftnik I remember RJ stock being high coming out of USC and he had that great NFL debut so my hope of a true QB of the future. Fast forward to the regular season RJ is horrible his first two games and like everyone else, what did we trade for? This kid is horrible. Then he plays really well in the Rams game but gets hurt and we lost in part RJ got hurt and Flute couldn't kill the clock at the end and the defense can't stop Tony Banks. RJ is back for our next game against a tough 49ers team and we win.

Next up the Colts and RJ gets hurt and leaves the game. Then "the game that started the hype". Aka the Jaguar bootleg game where Flutie magic was born. I remember an interview with Flutie in which he said the initial play was set for Thurman and Flutie changed it for him to take it instead something in way he worded it came off cocky and didn't sit with me too well. People started to forget how RJ played in the Rams and 49ers games and attributing Flutie the reason for the turn around.

I was close to embracing him too and then he played horrible in the Jets game and it reminded me that we had guys like Moulds, Antowain Smith and Marcellus Wiley emerging yet sitting out QB of the future who realistically only lost his job because of injury.

I watched Flutie closer after the Jets game and voiced concerns that this 37 year old isnt going to lead us anywhere as he has holes in his game. To most it didn't matter cuz we were winning "because of Flutie magic". Fast forward to season finale and RJ plays outstanding against the Saints but not noticed by many as it's Flutie's team now. The Miami playoff game that most remember for Flutie's long pass to Moulds I remember as a costly interception before half time and a Flutie sack and fumble to end the game's last few seconds.

Then the 1999 season out defense keeps us in most games and our offense good enough to win most games. Yet offense and Flutie really bad in like Weeks 12 or so on.

RJ gets to play in the season finale against Colts and plays great. The offense looks better than had for weeks. Then the Titans playoff game. RJ isn't great as getting harassed by Jevon "the Freak" Kearse all day but then again he's playing with an injured oline. Yet in the last few minutes RJ does his Flutie impression and musters enough including a crazy scramble/pass where his shoe comes off and sock is stretched. I'm thinking finally RJ will be embraced by my fellow Bills fans because he lead us to a playoff win. But no Darryl Porter can't stay in his lane and Homerun throwback happens. Post game interview Flutie feels we'd win if he started and my hate boils over even more as no way anyone can say that for certain and the audacity he'd say it shows Doug's true side.

Soon after Butler has to let emerging players go as,Flutie/RJ cap numbers killing us. I could write more but damn this already so long but some feedback how/why I hated Flutie. As specifically I never viewed him as a viable long term answer at QB, was far from a Great player/team mate and felt he cost us valuable time developing/discovering if RJ was indeed a QB that could be counted on. As felt RJ could develop into a better player with more playing time. As let's not forget RJ prior to arriving g here had 1 NFL start. Sure Flutie was slightly better but how many USFL, NFL and CFL starts didchevhsve before arriving? Flutie by comparison was nothing more than a glorified game manager QB in 1999 and beyond.

I recall every thing you stated about the game play and who started when. What I didn't know was the tone of Flutie's comments when he lost the starting job, and that there was a divided locker room over the Flutie vs RJ situation.

Now that I think about it, for a short while there I was getting a lot of my sports news from The National. Who remembers that publication? Great collection of writers.

Frank DeFord and the National were awesome. I moved away to college in 81..no sports bar, no satellites etc..Bills on TV rarely...

The technology now vs then and how it impacts information flow is as much a part of the topic as Flutie. So far we seem to be in agreement that he came off as a good guy, good teammate, and good QB from our vantage points at the time. And SHOUT magazine and the USA today were gold!!

Can remember the day someone told me about the USA Today...and i started going to the library everyday to get Buffalo nuggets.

My best source of info was my awesome Dad. He was not a sports fan at all, but every Monday during football season from the time i went to school in 81 till the day he died in 2004...he would send me a loaf of DiCamillos bread wrapped in the Sunday and Monday editions of the Buffalo News.

I loved the George Michael Sports Machine, but I wished it was 60 minutes, not 30.

https://youtu.be/sCC3RQsGitg

Loved George, especially before Primetime came on TV. Was shocked when i moved to DC and he was a local sports anchor. Had no idea!

3) ESPN

I remember more hate for Rob Johnson than there was for Flutie. As I recall it was the younger guys - high school kids and just out of high school/college kids who wanted Rob Johnson to play. Most of the people who had been watching football for a couple decades or more (basically pretty much anyone over 30 at the time) wanted Flutie to play and felt he was the better quarterback.

When Jim Kelly was QB, as a fan you always had a sense that you could still win a game even if the Bills were losing late in the fourth. Flutie gave you that same feeling. Rob Johnson did not. I think that was the big difference between them. People "felt" Flutie gave them a better chance to come away with a win.

And yes, the people who disliked Flutie used to use the "he's too short" argument constantly. It was a broken record.

But even to this day I think there is still more love for Flutie than there ever was for RJ. And there is more hate for RJ than there ever was for Flutie. Just my opinion.