Jerry Jones is a better GM than Whaley

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My agenda is making the playoffs. Yours is defending mediocrity at all costs. Playoff teams win two of the three games I cited.

Some poster's egos are on the line and now bruised so they're forced to make excuses (injuries, coaching). Or, they flat out attack other posters when their prognostications fall woefully short.

No GM since Polian has had more resources to win with and yet, the Bills routinely find themselves among the average to mediocre teams.

9 out of the last 10 seasons this team has won 6-9 games. If that ain't mediocrity I don't know what is.

Some poster's egos are on the line and now bruised so they're forced to make excuses (injuries, coaching). Or, they flat out attack other posters when their prognostications fall woefully short.

No GM since Polian has had more resources to win with and yet, the Bills routinely find themselves among the average to mediocre teams.

9 out of the last 10 seasons this team has won 6-9 games. If that ain't mediocrity I don't know what is.

Well reasoned post. Yes JJ has had some crappy seasons, but he's been given a lot of the same opportunities as the Bills (and now Doug Whaley) and has made the Playoffs.

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't JJ GM of the year in 2014?

I don't doubt it. The guy has built a strong, young, talented team.

While I disagree with you a bunch.....what you say only proves my point further

Playmakers make plays.....

Yes...they do. Some players play tough...others, have a tough time playing.

That RB has been awesome

but.....they had several more picks

Personally I think he should be given credit for the backing off and trusting people he hires to biuld a team

Whether he's picking on his own accord or deferring to the advice of others, he's still the GM. And this team he assembled is strong...more so than what we are watching week to week. Jerry wins. Doug loses.

That RB has been awesome

but.....they had several more picks

Personally I think he should be given credit for the backing off and trusting people he hires to biuld a team

Well, all teams have more picks. Taking a RB in the top 5 is no longer how it's done (successfully).

All GMs have many trusted voices. But they pull the trigger. JJ doesn't have a career as "GM" known for sitting back and letting others make all the decisions.

Well, all teams have more picks. Taking a RB in the top 5 is no longer how it's done (successfully).

All GMs have many trusted voices. But they pull the trigger. JJ doesn't have a career as "GM" known for sitting back and letting others make all the decisions.

Didnt dallas try to move up with us in the 1st round because they wanted a QB.....we just didnt like their offer?

If that be the case....Dak Prescott would have never been on their team?

He has stuck with Garrett through many disappointing seasons, tweaked the staff instead of "cleaning house", and what they now have is an established offensive system, and the proper coaching staff to develop a QB.

This. Garrett has been very unpopular with the fan base for a lot of years, and Jerry stuck with him. Turns out to have been a very good move, probably the key to the fact that they're doing well.

As for QB success being the entire key to their system, I'd argue it's the entire key to everyone's system but not everyone realizes it. It's just that very few teams have been able to get top ten or twelve QBs on their roster. And there's very little chance at a Lombardi without a top ten or twelve guy. You have to have a top ten or twelve defense of all time to have a decent chance of success with a QB below that level.

3 first round picks for Sammy? Wait I thought it was 10 picks no?

Maybe you should look into that trade and educate yourself.

Lorax was NOT a good pickup? Not sure how that supports your point. Hint: it doesn't.

Dareus was the pick at 3 at the time. ask Buddy Nix, he was the gm that drafted him (look into that too)

Good point. No reasonable way to say it was 3 first round picks.

It was two firsts and a fourth, more specifically the 2014 #9, the 2015 #19 and the 2015 #115. That's three guys who are not on the roster because Sammy is, but saying it was three firsts is just plain wrong.

Correct!

If you read this article from Peter King MMQB he goes into great detail about the Dallas Cowboys draft room as he spends the weekend with Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys during the 2016 NFL draft.

In the Cowboys’ draft room, support staff and scouts and coaches ring three quarters of a large rectangular table. At the head of the table sits, from left to right, mostly a family affair: vice president and director of player personnel Stephen Jones (who mans the phone for most trade discussions); Jerry Jones; executive vice president Charlotte Jones Anderson (Jerry’s daughter); coach Jason Garrett; and just around the corner of the table, executive vice president of sales and marketing Jerry Jones Jr. Stephen Jones is at the nerve center, with direct lines to 31 NFL teams on the phone console in front of him.

This simple sentence from the article should give everyone the absolute understanding into exactly who makes the draft choices for the Dallas Cowboys. While contemplating a trade with the Baltimore Ravens that was taking too much time. Jerry makes his decision!

“Get Zeke on the phone,” Jerry Jones said. And he instructed the card to be turned in with Ezekiel Elliott’s name on it.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/01/nfl-draft-dallas-cowboys-war-room-jerry-jones-peter-king

Jerry Jones is still very much running that team as GM with his son Stephen advising him. So yes, Jerry Jones has done a superior job over Doug Whaley. But then, like others have mentioned that Whaley doesn't even have the control over the team that other GM's have.

Yup. The evidence is that Jerry pulls the trigger. If he lets other people make some decisions, that's just a different form of pulling the trigger.

I hate Jerry. Hate him. But he's the GM there, in name and in function. He's been correctly accused of screwing things up there for years. Logically he now gets the credit when they're doing well. I'm hopeful they won't win a Lombardi anytime soon, though.