Fool me once, shame on me

Virgil

I had plans to write a mid season review. Try the unbias, post game approach and break it all down by position, good and bad.

On Tuesday, I saw two things that bothered me. One was the tweet showing how many times we've been 4-4 in our playoff drought. It also showed how many times we were 5-3, 3-5, etc.

Then I saw the Gilmore, Dareus, TT threads attacking or defending them.

I kept waiting to find the energy or desire to write my little recap and I've now realized that I just don't care. We aren't going to the playoffs this year and I think I've reached the point where I just can't enjoy the ride of the whole season. I love watching the games and enjoying a win. The losses have me numb and are almost expected.

I'm tired of debating who is playoff good enough and who is worth the money because in the end, we always end up wrong because none of them are good enough within this franchise. There's always the excuse or the what if.

Fact is, we doomed ourselves with our 0-2 start and 1-3 division start. I'm not going to call out why. Everyone has their opinion. But regardless, it's another season where I have absolutely no hope for the playoffs before November started. And worse yet, I expect more of the same next year.

Agree with their reasoning or not, but Rex and TT will be back next year unless they finish with 9 or more losses and show the players quitting on Rex. He will get 3 years. TT will be kept because he is the best option. I hope he does turn things around as his accuracy is bothering me too. And year 3 would be enough time to know what we got.

But overall, nothing in this franchise is changing for me this year or next. And probably not until Brady is gone. Our curse is Brady, plain and simple. Take him out and our futility isn't close to the 15+ years. It only takes a year in a bad division (which ours had had plenty) and a quick hot streak to be in the AFC championship game. The Jets proved that twice.

Either way, I'm going to enjoy my games this season as football is too short and I love it too much. But the playoff watch? The FireRex? I just don't know how to convince myself to care.

Midseason reviewed.

Edited by Virgil

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya, it's exhausting rooting for this team and I'm just about to the point of "I don't care". All I want is a playoff game to break the streak, get the monkey off the back and try to build from there. Losses to the Jets and Miami are why this team will be 17 years and counting with no postseason and it's extremely frustrating. Anyone who thinks we go 6-2 in the second half is kidding themselves,

As for Brady, he is part of it but Belichick to me is by far the biggest reason for the Pats success. If we were in any other division, I believe we may have had a few playoff appearances. Unfortunately BB probably has a good 7-8 years left.

Well said OP. This drought is Groundhog's Day.

I'd like to think things will turn around when Brady retires, and hopefully we have a competent coach by that point. Our franchise has done nothing to convince me they could ever compete for the division with Brady around, and if you can't even compete for the division, what's the point?

Well said OP. This drought is Groundhog's Day.

I'd like to think things will turn around when Brady retires, and hopefully we have a competent coach by that point. Our franchise has done nothing to convince me they could ever compete for the division with Brady around, and if you can't even compete for the division, what's the point?

Waiting for a player or coach to retire is really the wrong approach and will never work as the Patriots were undefeated with their backup QB playing! The only reason the Bills beat them at all was because they were forced to start an injured rookie 3rd string QB who had won before being injured.

At times I feel like I'm bipolar about this team after listening to Rex Ryan boast about how he never had all this talent on a defense before and how the 2015 Bills would clearly be the #1 defense in the league as he thought being #4 overall wasn't near good enough. That he knew how long the playoff drought has been in Buffalo and went on to say "We're going" to the playoffs this year! I actually forgot about his record with the Jets and bought into all this hype and bluster about how the 2015 Buffalo Bills will finally be in the playoffs! And why not, as the 2014 Buffalo Bills only needed one win against a 2-11 team to make it in 2014!

This year because the defense didn't perform up to expected standards last year the team needed to draft the players needed to fit a new 3-4 defensive scheme. Even though the team had just been #4 overall in total defense and had been building the defense for a 4-3 scheme. The first three players taken in the 2016 draft were for the defense with a DE, ILBer, and DT / NT.

So, instead of drafting more offensive players desperately needed like a #2 WR, TE, RB with an early pick the team drafted a WR in the 6th and a RB in the 5th.

Groundhog day? I feel this is just the second year of many groundhog day years as this HC is continually building for a 3-4 style of defense that teams have learned how to defeat. The 2016 defense was supposed to be so much better with the new coaches in Rob Ryan and Ed Reed. The communication to the players and between the players was supposed to be improved as were the penalties that cropped back up against the Patriots.

Speaking of the Patriots, that recent game just showed the disparity between the two teams as the Bills don't have a defense good enough to even come close to stopping Tom Brady. Nor do they have an offense that even comes close to competing. You just can't win in this league on a consistent basis with a one-dimensional run first offense with a QB who can't win games with his arm. That Rex Ryan defense has allowed some startling numbers this season that makes me think that this will never be a top 5 defense. '

With 375 passing yards given up to Ryan Fitzpatrick and a total of 493 yards to a bad 3-5 NY Jets team that has only scored 150 points so far this year. With 214 yards given up on the ground in one game to one unknown Miami RB while getting manhandled on both sides of the lines by a bad 3-4 Dolphins team. The actual game wasn't as close as the score suggests. Then to give up 41 points to Tom Brady and an offense that has talent at every skill position with two great tight ends and three really good possession receivers. One of which as taken from the Bills! The team could have really used a player with the nickname 7/11 right now.

A mediocre defense and a string of skill players that can't stay healthy with a 4-4 record after 8 games and if those skill players can't come back to help the team the downward spiral will continue.

I had plans to write a mid season review. Try the unbias, post game approach and break it all down by position, good and bad.

On Tuesday, I saw two things that bothered me. One was the tweet showing how many times we've been 4-4 in our playoff drought. It also showed how many times we were 5-3, 3-5, etc.

I kept waiting to find the energy or desire to write my little recap and I've now realized that I just don't care. We aren't going to the playoffs this year and I think I've reached the point where I just can't enjoy the ride of the whole season. I love watching the games and enjoying a win. The losses have me numb and are almost expected.

I'm tired of debating who is playoff good enough and who is worth the money because in the end, we always end up wrong because none of them are good enough within this franchise. There's always the excuse or the what if.

Fact is, we doomed ourselves with our 0-2 start and 1-3 division start. I'm not going to call out why. Everyone has their opinion. But regardless, it's another season where I have absolutely no hope for the playoffs before November started. And worse yet, I expect more of the same next year.

Agree with their reasoning or not, but Rex and TT will be back next year unless they finish with 9 or more losses and show the players quitting on Rex. He will get 3 years. TT will be kept because he is the best option. I hope he does turn things around as his accuracy is bothering me too. And year 3 would be enough time to know what we got.

But overall, nothing in this franchise is changing for me this year or next. And probably not until Brady is gone. Our curse is Brady, plain and simple. Take him out and our futility isn't close to the 15+ years. It only takes a year in a bad division (which ours had had plenty) and a quick hot streak to be in the AFC championship game. The Jets proved that twice.

Either way, I'm going to enjoy my games this season as football is too short and I love it too much. But the playoff watch? The FireRex? I just don't know how to convince myself to care.

Midseason reviewed.

I agree with most everything you wrote here, but the highlighted portion is my focus now.

Will TT be retained at a big salary? How bad does the team have to finish for Rex to be shown the door?

I think a strong case for both being back can be made, and that is frustrating, as this isn't going to get better with them around.

I wish I could figure out what it will take to turn this franchise around. I think I would go find a coach who is a SOB with no sense of humor and no nonsense (cough cough, Belichick). The players would have to buy in, which might not happen until there are more wins than losses. Marrone was like that except for his huge ego, lousy assistant coaches and coordinators, and terrible in-game coaching and clock management.

We are a 2nd rate organization. We just keep spinning our wheels but never making any progress. It's going to take big changes to get where we want to be. It starts at the top. We have very wealthy owners but they might be in over their heads trying to turn around 2 mediocre franchises. What they really need is someone to run the football operations and just take over and clean house. We need a GM who knows how to build championship teams. We need a coach that has a vision not just a big mouth. We need a QB. But it all starts from the top and the Pegulas and Russ Brandon don't know what they are doing so get someone in here that does

Midseason reviewed.

Stop over sensationalizing things. Stop thinking you know how to predict the future. Stop drawing attention to yourself by saying you're done with the other threads - so you start one yourself. Stop saying no one is good enough in the franchise yet you enjoy watching every game because the season goes by oh so fast.

We are a 2nd rate organization. We just keep spinning our wheels but never making any progress. It's going to take big changes to get where we want to be. It starts at the top. We have very wealthy owners but they might be in over their heads trying to turn around 2 mediocre franchises. What they really need is someone to run the football operations and just take over and clean house. We need a GM who knows how to build championship teams. We need a coach that has a vision not just a big mouth. We need a QB. But it all starts from the top and the Pegulas and Russ Brandon don't know what they are doing so get someone in here that does

Exactly. I was just about to post this but you beat me to it. So, I post to salute you and up my post count by one lol.

Seriously, nuke the whole place and start again.

I couldn't have said it better. While reading I couldn't help but to nod in approval. It is refreshing to hear the "candid truth." Way too many cool aid drinkers here distorting what they see. Well done.

Edited by ice2145

This.

Agree 100% with the OP. This is an annual ritual for Bills fans although for me most seasons I usually hold out hope until late November. This season I looked at the 4-4 record (1-4 in the conference), and the upcoming schedule then decided it was all over with the exception of some mathematical possibilities a few other optimistic posters are going to throw out here down the stretch.

What's really amazing is how a franchise can be so consistently wrong about almost everything from the draft, to free agency, to the front office, and the coaching staff for so many years. Maybe I should give the Pegula's a pass here but they seem intent on carrying on the dysfunctional tradition of the Wilson years and they lost me when they hired Rex over what I thought were other more desirable candidates for the HC job. So now I look forward to the inevitable dismissal of the Head Coach and search for the next savior. One thing I expect, the person the consensus and board here think is the best guy for the job won't get hired.

My referencing the Pats is more about how we don't get the ability to luck our way into the playoffs. Think of the teams that have made it in because their division is terrible. You take the dynasty Pats out of our division and I bet that we stumble our way in at least once over the past fee decades.

I'm not saying I want it to be this way. I WANT to ride into the playoffs on a car made of Brady's bones and tears.

Isnt it 'fool me once, shame on you'?

Yes, that's kinda the point

Stop over sensationalizing things. Stop thinking you know how to predict the future. Stop drawing attention to yourself by saying you're done with the other threads - so you start one yourself. Stop saying no one is good enough in the franchise yet you enjoy watching every game because the season goes by oh so fast.

I forgot to mention the people attacking others peoples posts as a annual tradition about this time of year too. Thanks for the reminder.

Jeez. Lately TSW makes me want to do a swan dive into the shallow end of my pool. Lighten up people. It's a game. The sun will continue to rise and set.

I am with ya Johnny. Love my Bills Sundays, whether at home or at the game.

Yes, they frustrate me.

Yes, i love watching them each and every Sunday.

Love going to the games even more.

Enjoy it fellas, remember what it felt like when we thought they could leave?