Derrick Carr

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

This guy is the real deal and we could have had him without much effort. Just like Dalton, Wilson, Prescott, Bridgewater, etc. I am not trying to get down on Whaley here but he is making the same crucial mistake as his predecessors. Which is of course not paying enough attention to the QB position. Yes we have to give Tyrod some time to see if he has it, but you have to be treating the position like you have nobody until it does.

After that first year of EJ, I and many others were still saying to draft a QB in the Watkins draft. The funny thing is, what more would we have had to give up with that Kuandjo pick to get ahead of the Raiders in that 2nd round? Probably a 3rd. But guess what, awww no, we had to go and ruin that with a little thing called worrying about EJ's feelings. If he or anyone is sensitive enough to let the drafting of another QB in a high round a year after they were taken in the first bother them, then they will never succeed at the QB position in the NFL.

We are just not aggressive enough at the QB position. And I know, what do you do if you end up with two young good ones? Well what you do is get down on your knees and thank God that you have a good QB and the trade chip that could possibly bring back 2 or 3 first rounders. I have done some preliminary research on the Bills drafting QB's since 2000 compared to other teams, and in this area, the organization is clueless. Maybe Whaley is different but I haven't seen it yet.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to be that guy, but Derrick Carr? 1. I've never heard of a guy named Derek going with that spelling in my entire life- why assume such a radical outlier of a spelling? 2. And why not like a quick google search? You obviously put some thought into your post, why not just double check to make sure he doesn't, in fact, spell his name like every other white guy ever named Derek? And the irony is that you spelled every other QB's name right.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

This is a ridiculous thread. What GM would spend two first rounders on QBs in back to back years? I like Derek Carr, but there is no way in hell I would have drafted him that year. Even if he fell to us in the second. It's just not smart to spend two high round picks on QBs with the amount of holes we had on our team at the time.

I hate to be that guy, but Derrick Carr? 1. I've never heard of a guy named Derek going with that spelling in my entire life- why assume such a radical outlier of a spelling? 2. And why not like a quick google search? You obviously put some thought into your post, why not just double check to make sure he doesn't, in fact, spell his name like every other white guy ever named Derek?

It's secretly a Da'Rick post

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Its always easy to find great players in the draft when you can go back in time

The classic response from someone who is ignorant and who thinks you can't do anything to improve your odds of finding a franchise QB. Recently I have been comparing rosters of all NFL teams QB position since the year 2000. I have also been comparing the number of draft picks they spent on the QB position, where the picks were, what QB's were on the roster at the time and the QB's teams needing a QB have passed on. I was planning on making a post about it but I am not finished with my research and I frankly don't have the time to continue it right now. Needless to say, the Bills QB drafting strategy so far is as bad as it gets and it is not an accident that they haven't made the playoffs in what wiill probably be 17 years.

What you say is true, but, it has nothing to do with this topic. This team has missed on umpteen QBs and it sucks. Until the powers that be begin to understand that they are undervaluing the position, or just plain missing on player after player, nothing will change.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I hate to be that guy, but Derrick Carr? 1. I've never heard of a guy named Derek going with that spelling in my entire life- why assume such a radical outlier of a spelling? 2. And why not like a quick google search? You obviously put some thought into your post, why not just double check to make sure he doesn't, in fact, spell his name like every other white guy ever named Derek? And the irony is that you spelled every other QB's name right.

I am not even going to pretend like I thought it was Derek. I know most people spell Derek D-E-R-E-K, but for some reason I thought he spelled it Derrick, like Derrick Thomas.

I am not even going to pretend like I thought it was Derek. I know most people spell Derek D-E-R-E-K, but for some reason I thought he spelled it Derrick, like Derrick Thomas.

Good call on Derrick Thomas. Like I said, "Derek" is definitely the conventional spelling for white guys. And Derek Carr is very much a white guy. Like more white than most white guys.

This guy is the real deal and we could have had him without much effort. Just like Dalton, Wilson, Prescott, Bridgewater, etc. I am not trying to get down on Whaley here but he is making the same crucial mistake as his predecessors. Which is of course not paying enough attention to the QB position. Yes we have to give Tyrod some time to see if he has it, but you have to be treating the position like you have nobody until it does.

After that first year of EJ, I and many others were still saying to draft a QB in the Watkins draft. The funny thing is, what more would we have had to give up with that Kuandjo pick to get ahead of the Raiders in that 2nd round? Probably a 3rd. But guess what, awww no, we had to go and ruin that with a little thing called worrying about EJ's feelings. If he or anyone is sensitive enough to let the drafting of another QB in a high round a year after they were taken in the first bother them, then they will never succeed at the QB position in the NFL.

We are just not aggressive enough at the QB position. And I know, what do you do if you end up with two young good ones? Well what you do is get down on your knees and thank God that you have a good QB and the trade chip that could possibly bring back 2 or 3 first rounders. I have done some preliminary research on the Bills drafting QB's since 2000 compared to other teams, and in this area, the organization is clueless. Maybe Whaley is different but I haven't seen it yet.

Can we stop this crazy hindsight narrative stuff plaguing the board all the time about who we could have drafted? If anyone thought Carr was going to be this good do you think he would have been available in the 2nd round still? nope...so 32 teams made the same mistake. How about Dalton? Anyone think he lasts to the 2nd round if they knew? Nope. What about Brady? Does he last to the 6th round? Nope. How about Kurt Warner...think he still goes undrafted if they could do it over again? Nope. How about Wilson? Any chance he lasts to the third round again? Nope.

So enough with the would have, should have stuff already. On draft night, he wasn't a sure thing by any means and had plenty of question marks. We also had a terrible OL that needed help. You go on what you KNOW about a player, not what you don't know and only the future does because we don't have Oracles or Time Machines.

The classic response from someone who is ignorant and who thinks you can't do anything to improve your odds of finding a franchise QB. Recently I have been comparing rosters of all NFL teams QB position since the year 2000. I have also been comparing the number of draft picks they spent on the QB position, where the picks were, what QB's were on the roster at the time and the QB's teams needing a QB have passed on. I was planning on making a post about it but I am not finished with my research and I frankly don't have the time to continue it right now. Needless to say, the Bills QB drafting strategy so far is as bad as it gets and it is not an accident that they haven't made the playoffs in what wiill probably be 17 years.

Somewhat unfair to evaluate Whaley against what like 6 gms before him failed to do. The drafting strategy needs to include more qbs, specifically the ones you really like. But you can't use one of your top 2 picks on a qb every year.

Fact is we never should've drafted ej. We should've traded back, and for picks in 2014. Either we very poorly evaluated him, or Brandon needed something to sell to the fan base. I trend towards the latter

Can we stop this crazy hindsight narrative stuff plaguing the board all the time about who we could have drafted? If anyone thought Carr was going to be this good do you think he would have been available in the 2nd round still? nope...so 32 teams made the same mistake. How about Dalton? Anyone think he lasts to the 2nd round if they knew? Nope. What about Brady? Does he last to the 6th round? Nope. How about Kurt Warner...think he still goes undrafted if they could do it over again? Nope. How about Wilson? Any chance he lasts to the third round again? Nope.

So enough with the would have, should have stuff already. On draft night, he wasn't a sure thing by any means and had plenty of question marks. We also had a terrible OL that needed help. You go on what you KNOW about a player, not what you don't know and only the future does because we don't have Oracles or Time Machines.

Sounds like lots of organizations go by what they don't know about a player.

If they knew more, none of those guys you list would have gone where they did.

You wouldn't happen to be cherry-picking a name because you saw him throw for 500 yards now, would you?

Besides that, what team gives up on a 1st round QB after a year? There's a very good reason it rarely happens. The team would be regarded as a laughing stock.

A better question: what team watches film of EJ Manuel play the position at FSU and thinks he'd make a great NFL pocket passer?

Somewhat unfair to evaluate Whaley against what like 6 gms before him failed to do. The drafting strategy needs to include more qbs, specifically the ones you really like. But you can't use one of your top 2 picks on a qb every year.

Fact is we never should've drafted ej. We should've traded back, and for picks in 2014. Either we very poorly evaluated him, or Brandon needed something to sell to the fan base. I trend towards the latter

Bingo and MORE BINGO!

A better question: what team watches film of EJ Manuel play the position at FSU and thinks he'd make a great NFL pocket passer?

I agree. I thoroughly hated the EJ pick. My QB evaluation skills aren't exactly infallible, after all Matt Barkley was my guy :D

I've long stated that I wouldn't have drafted a QB that year knowing what Teddy Bridgewater was capable of. A 'mortgage the future' type QB if ever I saw one. Just saying that, given the circumstances (especially with Buddy adamant that we were drafting a QB), no team takes a QB in '14 a year after taking one 16th.

Edited by Blokestradamus

And give them time to develop.

What you say is true, but, it has nothing to do with this topic. This team has missed on umpteen QBs and it sucks. Until the powers that be begin to understand that they are undervaluing the position, or just plain missing on player after player, nothing will change.

Question, how many teams passed on Dak Prescott?

Draft the best available one with your first round pick every year and the problem will get resolved.

Then go bpa at valued positions from there on out and fill in the "holes" on the roster with cheap free agents.

You won't miss those first round picks if you are getting top QB play and getting value in the rest of your drafts........with good QB play the Bills could have kept winning this year without Dareus, Watkins, Gilmore etc.........

First round QB's are under team control for 5 years and there is something about competition that brings out the best in players.

This is a ridiculous thread. What GM would spend two first rounders on QBs in back to back years? I like Derek Carr, but there is no way in hell I would have drafted him that year. Even if he fell to us in the second. It's just not smart to spend two high round picks on QBs with the amount of holes we had on our team at the time.

Someone I'd like running my team?