Matt Stafford showing sometimes QBs can take a while...

Big Turk

To develop fully...whether it was work ethic, having something finally click or whatever, Stafford has quietly become one of the best QBs in the NFL over the past year...he has thrown 34 TDs and 6 INTs in his last 16 games to go with almost 4100 yards passing and has continued to show clutchness at the end of games having led the most 4th quarter comebacks in the NFL since 2011...

used to be considered a lazy player who relied on his talent instead of studying and preparing properly...not anymore apparently. Used to throw lots of INTs to go with his TDs but he has really cut back on those as well...basically he is now Tyrod with the ball but able to make every throw needed at all times.

And it's taken 84 games for it to happen...sometimes players need a longer time to develop than we think...

Edited by matter2003

He used to force the ball to Megatron in double and even triple coverage. He is playing the position and going through his progressions properly now it is one of the oddest additions by subtraction I have ever seen but the Lions offense is better off without Clavin Johnson.

He used to force the ball to Megatron in double and even triple coverage. He is playing the position and going through his progressions properly now it is one of the oddest additions by subtraction I have ever seen but the Lions offense is better off without Clavin Johnson.

I was wondering if this could be the case. No more just chucking it up to Calvin Johnson.

He's always had the numbers and the arm, but was like a better version of cutler. Backbreaking picks and throwing for 400 yards to try and make up for mistakes and mediocre defense. That and 0 clutch ability.

Now he's taking what defenses give him, including on 2 minute drills. Waiting to take his shots and trusting his eyes.

Edited by dneveu

I was wondering if this could be the case. No more just chucking it up to Calvin Johnson.

It absolutely is. I think it is the single biggest reason. I think Stafford always felt Johnson was the "leader" of the offense and so felt he had to go to him often. Now Stafford feels he has total control. It has made him a much better Quarterback (and he has always had the natural talent).

everyone keeps talking about TT not being a 'real' nfl qb, or isn't clutch, yet here were are, 15 or so games into his starting career, the guy has, as someone said in an earlier thread, stems and seeds as offensive weapons and has been in position this year to win or tie all the games that were losses and several from last year. let's give this guy some slack, he is doing some pretty incredible things. his resources on the field are very limited and he continues to make improvements.

Stafford threw for over 5000 yards and 41 TDs in his 3rd season (first full season as starter)--that was 5 years ago. Not sure how he's a late bloomer.

He has become more consistent and less prone to mistakes, but I agree with you - he has always been good. Pure throwing talent wise he is a top 5 Quarterback. The phrase "he can make all the throws" is one of the most overused in the sport - in Matt Stafford's case it really is true.

How long as Stafford been in the league? This is his 8th year and was a Top Pick. And 3rd year had 5k+ Passing Yards

Taylor has been in the league now on his 6th year. Not even close to progressing.

everyone keeps talking about TT not being a 'real' nfl qb, or isn't clutch, yet here were are, 15 or so games into his starting career, the guy has, as someone said in an earlier thread, stems and seeds as offensive weapons and has been in position this year to win or tie all the games that were losses and several from last year. let's give this guy some slack, he is doing some pretty incredible things. his resources on the field are very limited and he continues to make improvements.

No he doesn't, same issues week after week. There is NO development

How long as Stafford been in the league? This is his 8th year and was a Top Pick. And 3rd year had 5k+ Passing Yards

Taylor has been in the league now on his 6th year. Not even close to progressing.

No he doesn't, same issues week after week. There is NO development

Taylor is no Matt Stafford.

Stafford threw for over 5000 yards and 41 TDs in his 3rd season (first full season as starter)--that was 5 years ago. Not sure how he's a late bloomer.

:thumbsup: Really the wrong QB to compare Tyrod Taylor against.

Joe Flacco might be more of a match in only the way he was developed from a run first offense into a pass first offense. Still, the two QB's are totally different as one is a pure pocket passer like Stafford and Taylor is a running QB more like Cam Newton, Russell Wilson. RG3, Colin Kaepernick. With Tyrod Taylor's stature, I think about the only QB he compares to is Wilson and that guy is in a class by himself.

Russell Wilson also has had a great coaching staff, supporting cast around him his entire time in Seattle. Looking at those four running QB's only two have had continued success.