We need a Stafford-like QB

dayman

Lets just go ahead and quantify this. Of course, every team wants a Brady. And, of course, there is only 1 Brady (and very few Brady knockoffs).

With that said, what kind of attainable QB do we need? We need a Matt Stafford-like QB.

Now, don't get me wrong, Stafford is not great b/c he takes sacks, throws picks, and way too often he just kind of goes out there and sucks--for most of the game. BUT...when they need him to sling it...particularly at the end of a game, he has a serious habit of delivering. He's like a poor man's Favre. And that is enough to make him good (not average).

My point? We should have a poor man's Favre, not a poor man's Russel Wilson. We can control (more or less) the game w/ D and running...compensate for QB mistakes with roster and playcalling. When it comes to QB...we should not be enamored with conservatism and limiting turnovers.

Turnovers happen. So be it. Give me someone with some fire. I'm not anti-Tyrod...but the dude is just too "under control." Show me some fire, show me some risk taking when the game demands it, show me some urgency.

Anyway, rambling post...but you get the point. We need something different at QB and Tyrod has not shown signs of the kind of fight we need to call upon from time to time. When it comes time to look around...lets roll the dice on a guy with an arm that can boom or bust any given Sunday...I'll lose that way much more easily than I will the way we lose with Tyrod (helplessly when things don't go according to plan).

PS: Yes, I realize our weapons are depleted.

Edited by dayman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, turnovers don't just happen. Fumbles for the most part are random. Interceptions are usually a result of an error, either mental or physical, and when they happen in abundance are usally attributed to the QB.

Second, Stafford is playing better now than he did when he had Megatron. Shocking a QB plays better with more game experience. Has TT made a huge leap this year to being a better QB? No, I don't think so but maybe he has made a little skip forward. I certainly don't think he has regressed. Wilson got better with experience. Fitz, Kaepernick, RGIII all got worse the more they played and defenses adjusted to their games. I suspect the same is going on for the Bills and TT.

I have no idea if he will get better, stay the same, or regress. I don't think accuracy improves for any QB. EJ's hasn't. Wilson's is very good. TT misses too many easy throws. But decision making can improve. TT already protects the ball. He makes plays. His legs will make up for at least one or two bad throws a game. He just needs to cut his mistakes in half and make three or four more good throws per game. Those added completions will keep drives alive, win the field position battle, and generate 3-10 more points per game.

Lets just go ahead and quantify this. Of course, every team wants a Brady. And, of course, there is only 1 Brady (and very few Brady knockoffs).

With that said, what kind of attainable QB do we need? We need a Matt Stafford-like QB.

Now, don't get me wrong, Stafford is not great b/c he takes sacks, throws picks, and way too often he just kind of goes out there and sucks--for most of the game. BUT...when they need him to sling it...particularly at the end of a game, he has a serious habit of delivering. He's like a poor man's Favre. And that is enough to make him good (not average).

My point? We should have a poor man's Favre, not a poor man's Russel Wilson. We can control (more or less) the game w/ D and running...compensate for QB mistakes with roster and playcalling. When it comes to QB...we should not be enamored with conservatism and limiting turnovers.

Turnovers happen. So be it. Give me someone with some fire. I'm not anti-Tyrod...but the dude is just too "under control." Show me some fire, show me some risk taking when the game demands it, show me some urgency.

Anyway, rambling post...but you get the point. We need something different at QB and Tyrod has not shown signs of the kind of fight we need to call upon from time to time. When it comes time to look around...lets roll the dice on a guy with an arm that can boom or bust any given Sunday...I'll lose that way much more easily than I will the way we lose with Tyrod (helplessly when things don't go according to plan).

So we need a Fitz?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

the Lions have averaged less than 7 wins/season since stafford has been in the league.

The lions have reached 10 wins a whopping 2x since stafford has been there. Hooray.

Thats 7 seasons.

Tyrod has 2 int. He isn't the problem

Success at the QB position is quantified solely by lack of INT's?

TT is what he is: a guy who won't hurt you, but won't win you games either. So much has to go right for the Bills to win with TT as their starting QB.

A QB should cover up shortcomings to a certain degree when everything doesn't work. TT doesn't do that.

The Bills current power outage on offense is based on injuries and lack of availability. Brady without Gronk is still Brady, but the offense takes a noticeable step back. No Watkins, Woods, and McCoy and your left with a defense that simply puts a safety directly over Goodwin and loads the box. Given who hasn't played this season, I am actually surprised that they are 4 and 3.

He was the first overall pick.... Soooo Are you suggesting we trade 3 firsts for the 1st overall pick?

Success at the QB position is quantified solely by lack of INT's?

TT is what he is: a guy who won't hurt you, but won't win you games either. So much has to go right for the Bills to win with TT as their starting QB.

A QB should cover up shortcomings to a certain degree when everything doesn't work. TT doesn't do that.

We had 29 first downs a week ago with Shady and Woods. They gameplanned to stop him. We need to gameplan to unleash TT in situations where he is legit our best offensive weapon, instead of playing into what they're doing.

We had 29 first downs a week ago with Shady and Woods. They gameplanned to stop him. We need to gameplan to unleash TT in situations where he is legit our best offensive weapon, instead of playing into what they're doing.

It's not hard to stop TT and this offense. Load up to stop the run and force him to throw the ball. Case in point, the league's then 31st ranked run defense stopped Buffalo's running game and made TT throw the ball. When he starts making more down-field throws like he did with Goodwin, defenses will back off. But he doesn't do that enough and so you get what occurred at Miami. And I get that he's without Watkins and Woods, although Clay is used sparingly in this offense. And McCoy has only 20 catches for 97 yards in 7 games.

Buffalo's passing offense is becoming more dink and dunk in order to minimize turnovers. People point to the 2 INT's he's thrown in 7 games, but there's a cost to not being aggressive. TT's yards per attempt and accuracy have both fallen dramatically from 2015.

It's not hard to stop TT and this offense. Load up to stop the run and force him to throw the ball. Case in point, the league's then 31st ranked run defense stopped Buffalo's running game and made TT throw the ball. When he starts making more down-field throws like he did with Goodwin, defenses will back off. But he doesn't do that enough and so you get what occurred at Miami. And I get that he's without Watkins and Woods, although Clay is used sparingly in this offense. And McCoy has only 20 catches for 97 yards in 7 games.

Buffalo's passing offense is becoming more dink and dunk in order to minimize turnovers. People point to the 2 INT's he's thrown in 7 games, but there's a cost to not being aggressive. TT's yards per attempt and accuracy have both fallen dramatically from 2015.

they didn't stop the run, the Bills coaching staff abandoned the run after an already injured McCoy was re-injured. they completely overlooked Gillislee and Williams and their opportunity to step up. TT is never that accurate, but he made throws that game and threw no picks. it was poor offensive planning and adjusting. the Bills gave up the run, the run was never shut down. we saw what Gillislee can do when running down hill. he had a 20 yrd run that game. right up the middle. he doesnt run the same as McCoy and I had a feeling the Fins would have struggled with 35 running the ball. Not to mention why wasn't Spikes used more to stop Ajayi, or the run in general? there are so many more factors.

Edited by 87168

He was the first overall pick.... Soooo Are you suggesting we trade 3 firsts for the 1st overall pick?

In retrospect, trading 3 first round picks for a Stafford maybe wouldn't have been such a horrible idea? Or you could always do it the easy way and go 0-16 like the Lions did.

Say that to Marquis on the last throw when he hung Marguis like a Pinata.

People act like he got laid out or something... he fell awkwardly and hit his head.

In retrospect, trading 3 first round picks for a Stafford maybe wouldn't have been such a horrible idea? Or you could always do it the easy way and go 0-16 like the Lions did.

Yeah - unless you're wrong and he's not stafford. And he's tannehill, locker, gabbert, ponder, sanchez, freeman, or god forbid Jamarcus.

Every armchair GM solution - throw picks at it until it works. That's a great solution as a fan, but when you're an actual GM - you can't do that. You will get fired.

Edited by dneveu

People act like he got laid out or something... he fell awkwardly and hit his head.

Yeah - unless you're wrong and he's not stafford. And he's tannehill, locker, gabbert, ponder, sanchez, freeman, or god forbid Jamarcus.

Every armchair GM solution - throw picks at it until it works. That's a great solution as a fan, but when you're an actual GM - you can't do that. You will get fired.

this is true. If you keep throwing picks at QB's you'll miss out on other playmakers and end up with Sanchez, Freeman, etc. On the other hand, you can't pass on Carr, Big Ben, Rodgers, Ryan, Wilson, Stafford etc. type players.

I don't think Whaley has passed on any great QB's. He's drafted a decent backup (EJ), and found a QB you can win with in TT. Will TT win you games: no. But you can win with him. You can't win with Brock, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, etc. So, our QB situation is not great, but also terrible.

BTW: how was RB Williams not active last week!

Yes, you could draft a loser, in which case you're probably relegating yourself to a 4 year spell of no playoffs

Wash, rinse, repeat 3 times = where the Bills are after not drafting a blue chip QB since Kelly.

That's how long it's been. 4 cycles. So if you're the Raiders, sure, we'll laugh at you for JaMarcus. But then you got it right with Carr. Freeman? I give you round 2, Jameis. Locker? How about Mariota. Ok, you've got me on Gabbert-to-Bortles (at least it looks that way). But they've got 2 more shots before they hit the Bills 16 year drought.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

the Lions have averaged less than 7 wins/season since stafford has been in the league.

The lions have reached 10 wins a whopping 2x since stafford has been there. Hooray.

Thats 7 seasons.

The Lions were 0-16 the year before he was drafted. Let's therefore not count his first season (or his second season, for that matter - he only played in 3 games). If they end up with a winning season this year, the Lions will have had winning records in 3 of 6 seasons with him as QB. In those six seasons, they are 43-44 with two double-digit win seasons. To remind everyone, the Bills haven't won ten games since 1999.

To be fair, the Dolphins front seven is far more talented than their run D ranking suggests. Suh is the best DT in the league.