NE, Seattle, Cincy, or Oakland

The Bills need to win one of these four games to have a chance. They need to go 10-6, and it's definitely plausible that they'll win the other five games they play: at home against Jax, Miami, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh, and on the road against the Jets in a potential run-for-the-bus game for NY. I know I shouldn't be banking on a victory over Pittsburgh, but Roethlisberger is bound to be pretty immobile and the Bills will be playing at home. They have a solid chance in that game.

The main threat to their playoff chances is the three top teams in the AFC West - Oakland, Denver, and KC. The AFC West is playing the NFC South and AFC South this season, and both of those divisions stink. As a consequence, they all have a good chance of winning 10 games, and since the Bills are already 3-0 against the NFC, the best they could do is 7-5 in the conference assuming they get to 10-6.

The bottom line: the next two games aren't crucial, but if they lose both the Cincy and Oakland games (both on the road) are. I don't like the Bills chances against either of those teams, but I don't think the team is so bad that they're destined to go 0-4 in these games. They just need to pull out one and take care of business in the rest.

Edited by dave mcbride

I would actually say they need to beat the raiders AND possibly the Bengals/Steelers. Both those teams will be right there and even at 10-6 (assuming your scenario and a win vs NE or SEA)... I think they lose the playoff spot via tiebreaker. I still think the loser of Steelers/Bengals gets to 10 wins... and possibly all 3 AFC West teams get to 10 wins.

As I said in the NE prep thread, beating New England at home is going to repair some of the damage this week's loss caused. We would have a tiebreaker against them if by some stroke of luck we should finish with the same record, and it gives us a decent shot at 4-2 in the division.

Cincy and Oakland have not been unstoppable and I think we can take at least one of them down.

I just really need to see how the team responds here.

They are all beatable.

We just need to keep our heads up, one week at a time! Same for the players.

If we can get to the Jaguars game at 6-4 I like our chances with Sammy hopefully back.

If we get to the Jaguars at 5-5, I like our chances a little less with them bordering on locking Sammy down for the rest of the season, and us needing to win 5 of 6 to get to 10-6.

Good news is that outside of the Seahawks, the last 9 games are against AFC opponents. So we can control our own destiny still.

Edited by What a Tuel

I think the Bills need to go 2-2 against the next four. If i had my pick the Bills would beat NE due to them being a divisional foe. I then want to see the Bills beat Oakland because i see them being a WC threat more than Cincy. Seattle would be nice sweep of the NFC West, but would do little in tie breaker scenarios .

The Bills can beat any team in the NFL, i also believe the Bills can lose to any team in the NFL.

They need to go at least 4-3 over the next 7 games.

Disagree. They need to go 6-3 over the next 9 games. When they get the wins really doesn't matter as long as they get them. Also, projecting to 11-5 is borderline delusional in my opinion given their current record and the schedule. I expect NE to win pretty easily, so after next week they'll need to 6-2 if my thinking is right.

Edited by dave mcbride

Division record would mean a lot in a multi team tie. But if its say just us and Balt. They get in on H2H. Beating Pitt/Oak/Cin are huge for this. So we need to win 10 and hope only 1 or 2 teams can get to that point because we basically lose a ton of tiebreakers

Balt is in trouble. They are not a good team.

Disagree. They need to go 6-3 over the next 9 games. When they get the wins really doesn't matter as long as they get them. Also, projecting to 11-5 is borderline delusional in my opinion given their current record and the schedule. I expect NE to win pretty easily, so after next week they'll need to 6-2 if my thinking is right.

The way the AFC West and North is playing, 10-6 will definitely be the low point for the wildcards. so yeah, 6 of the next 9 at least, and with a loss to the Patriots, 6 of the next 8.

We've got a 3 home game stretch in the last 4 which will be nice.

The way the AFC West and North is playing, 10-6 will definitely be the low point for the wildcards. so yeah, 6 of the next 9 at least, and with a loss to the Patriots, 6 of the next 8.

We've got a 3 home game stretch in the last 4 which will be nice.

Yup - agreed. Again, the AFC West gets the NFC and AFC South divisions this year. The collective record of all four teams in division will be over. 500.

Assuming 4-4, and 1-4 in the AFC, they will probably need to go 6-2 the rest of the way. So they need 2 of the other games you mentioned... and to run the table on the other games. I would say that the Steelers and the Jets on the road will be very tough as well.

OTOH, if the could beat NE then their chances (and confidence) would pick up tremendously.

Assuming 4-4, and 1-4 in the AFC, they will probably need to go 6-2 the rest of the way. So they need 2 of the other games you mentioned... and to run the table on the other games. I would say that the Steelers and the Jets on the road will be very tough as well.

OTOH, if the could beat NE then their chances (and confidence) would pick up tremendously.

Normally, I'd give them a shot against NE, but since I'm assuming Shady and Woods (walking boot) will be out or at best limited, I'm just not confident. The problem with the Pats is that they're very healthy right now, and they're clicking on offense too. The loss of Aaron Williams, who was playing well, is a problem too.

Edited by dave mcbride

Rex gave them a lot of trouble in New England last year against Brady. I think I remember that they hit Brady a record number of times for his career. That's when they were pretty healthy too I believe.

Defense is going to have to help us out a lot. Maybe Dareus will finally play.

If Shady is limited again, I say put Gillislee in 100% and let him get into a rhythm.

Rex gave them a lot of trouble in New England last year against Brady. I think I remember that they hit Brady a record number of times for his career. That's when they were pretty healthy too I believe.

Defense is going to have to help us out a lot. Maybe Dareus will finally play.

If Shady is limited again, I say put Gillislee in 100% and let him get into a rhythm.

My concern is that Brady will abuse the group of safeties subbing for Aaron Williams.