Is the Bills identity really that of a run heavy team?

I thought so, you probably thought so, and most in the media would argue that. Over at the analytics site 538, they argue that the Bills have established an identity as that of a SLIGHTLY run oriented team.http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nfls-most-run-heavy-and-pass-happy-teams/

I thought the article was well intentioned with the game script added in. Not sure without actually looking at the strength of schedule, so to speak, of the opponents that they face that they have it all the way. But, I found it interesting, and thought I would share it.

I like the notion of the Bills being balanced with their offensive identity. It will be interesting to watch in the coming weeks. I have noticed that Lynn has appeared to be willing to come out early and loosen things up to run later on. Agree?

I think the mix is good. Would like to see 3rd down conversion improve. Taylor has been pretty good passing in the red zone. Drives stalling early seems to be a negative trend. Consistency just doesn't seem to be there, yet. Kinda expected though with Watkins and Salas both out. Not as bad as it could be though. Optimistic, mostly.

having invested so heavily in Sammy, Clay and Woods being a high pick too. Plus having a pass catching threat in the backfield, and paying a QB.... yea, i think theres an expectation to at least be balanced.

not to mention that if you can achieve balance, then you will find that one will help the other. i just wanted to point out the obvious.

having invested so heavily in Sammy, Clay and Woods being a high pick too. Plus having a pass catching threat in the backfield, and paying a QB.... yea, i think theres an expectation to at least be balanced.

If you actually look at the Run plays vs Pass plays called its actually very very balanced.

At this point, I hope we're "run heavy". I don't mean to be negative, but I still hold my breath with each and every Taylor pass. I just don't see the pretty Long Ball that he was throwing last year. Is it because there's no Watkins?

I'm thrilled about three wins in a row, but this "constantly-waiting-for-an-interception-or-fumble-in-the-fourth-quarter" stuff is going to kill all of us.

in all seriousness, i like being run heavy, or at least "well balanced". theory being that you wear down the opponent with body shots (running game) then hit them wish the KO haymaker (passing game, deep shots downfield while the defense is loading the box, worrying about the run). i also realize this doesn't apply when in a shootout, or trying to come from behind.

At this point, I hope we're "run heavy". I don't mean to be negative, but I still hold my breath with each and every Taylor pass. I just don't see the pretty Long Ball that he was throwing last year. Is it because there's no Watkins?

I'm thrilled about three wins in a row, but this "constantly-waiting-for-an-interception-or-fumble-in-the-fourth-quarter" stuff is going to kill all of us.

Except that Tyrod hasn't been turnover-prone at all.

Not so much run heavy as pass light.

fair and balanced description.

Keep mixing it up, and be conscious of mismatches with the other team's D that can be exploited. Also finding another wide receiver is essential since it's only a matter of time before another one goes down. Don't wait until you have no viable options.

I thought we were already at, no viable options when we dressed 4 WRs

The Bills dont have a passing game.

3rd in rushing yards/game.

1st in rushing yards/attempt.

32 in passing yards/ game.

Where is the question? Really?

They have a QB who really doesn't throw well, and an elite RB.

:mellow:

I think the mix is good. Would like to see 3rd down conversion improve. Taylor has been pretty good passing in the red zone. Drives stalling early seems to be a negative trend. Consistency just doesn't seem to be there, yet. Kinda expected though with Watkins and Salas both out. Not as bad as it could be though. Optimistic, mostly.

When Taylor can start catching his own passes the drives won't stall as often

You have an elite talent in Shady. Use him, especially when playing bad run defenses. Who cares if you don't throw for 300 yards? Control the ball and make the other guys play from behind.

Also consider the idea that you don't want to show the Pats everything you can do offensively.

You're thinking of Fitz.

The Bills dont have a passing game.

3rd in rushing yards/game.

1st in rushing yards/attempt.

32 in passing yards/ game.

Where is the question? Really?

They have a QB who really doesn't throw well, and an elite RB.

:mellow:

The results are undeniable.

I think the point is that they give the wrong impression of play calling. Its still a good thing that the play calling is very balanced.

If the passing game can get it together, it would mean great things for the offense.

Taylor started off slow last year before getting in sync with Watkins. Now he has no Watkins. Its gonna be tough sledding.

Edited by LeGOATski

I thought so, you probably thought so, and most in the media would argue that. Over at the analytics site 538, they argue that the Bills have established an identity as that of a SLIGHTLY run oriented team.http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nfls-most-run-heavy-and-pass-happy-teams/

I thought the article was well intentioned with the game script added in. Not sure without actually looking at the strength of schedule, so to speak, of the opponents that they face that they have it all the way. But, I found it interesting, and thought I would share it.

I like the notion of the Bills being balanced with their offensive identity. It will be interesting to watch in the coming weeks. I have noticed that Lynn has appeared to be willing to come out early and loosen things up to run later on. Agree?

we sure aren't a passing team, half of TTs drop backs turn into runs