Taylor vs Gabbert stats this year

Lothar

I'm a Taylor fan but looking at running and passing stats this year, I see Gabbert and TT's stats are fairly similar. Obviously, not having Sammy has impacted what used to be a TT strength with yards per attempt. But other than the turnover differential, the numbers are not far apart. Almost identical pass and rush yards per game. That said, I'm OK with the numbers as long as the Bills are winning.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/playersort/nfl/year-2016-season-regular-category-passing

I still think it is unfair to equate normal quarterback stats to what Taylor does. If Taylor was the drop back QB that critics of his play seem to want him to be, AND does what he does great, he would be in the top three QBs in the league behind Brady and maybe Rodgers. The running and escaping and scrambling he does is extraordinary, but that is the player he is. No one makes the TD play to Hunter, even Brady. Brady gets sacked on that play.

But to expect him to do what he does with his legs and be a top 10 pocket passer is asking too much right now because that would make him top 3 in the league. You have to take the good with the bad. When we lose a game because we have to throw and we can't, that is the time to criticize him and say maybe we cannot win with him. But he doesn't turn the ball over, which is an enormous stat. We are 8-1 when he throws under 200 yards. We scored 30 points on the west coast road game against a very good defense and before you say the defense had seven of those point, the Patriots defense scores a lot or gets turnovers deep in enemy territory every game, as do the Seahawks, as do the Broncos, as do all good teams.

I still think it is unfair to equate normal quarterback stats to what Taylor does. If Taylor was the drop back QB that critics of his play seem to want him to be, AND does what he does great, he would be in the top three QBs in the league behind Brady and maybe Rodgers. The running and escaping and scrambling he does is extraordinary, but that is the player he is. No one makes the TD play to Hunter, even Brady. Brady gets sacked on that play.

But to expect him to do what he does with his legs and be a top 10 pocket passer is asking too much right now because that would make him top 3 in the league. You have to take the good with the bad. When we lose a game because we have to throw and we can't, that is the time to criticize him and say maybe we cannot win with him. But he doesn't turn the ball over, which is an enormous stat. We are 8-1 when he throws under 200 yards. We scored 30 points on the west coast road game against a very good defense and before you say the defense had seven of those point, the Patriots defense scores a lot or gets turnovers deep in enemy territory every game, as do the Seahawks, as do the Broncos, as do all good teams.

It also means that he's thrown for less than 200 yards in over 50% of his starts. It's a weird stat for sure, but I'd like to think a winning formula is probably a little more balanced than throwing for <200 every game.

It also means that he's thrown for less than 200 yards in over 50% of his starts. It's a weird stat for sure, but I'd like to think a winning formula is probably a little more balanced than throwing for <200 every game.

There is no one else like him outside of Russell Wilson his first few years. What I think people don't get is, they want the very best of both worlds. I think he can get better of course. I think he has missed 20+ passes already in 5 games he should have hit. He's frustrating at times, no doubt. But the amount of plays he makes that few if any other player makes, just avoiding sacks or making 10 yard plays escaping and rolling out and hitting a RB for six yards instead of a six yard loss are lost on people. They want all of that AND a top drop back guy. And I don't think it's fair.

I watched the game again today and in the second half when we sucked on offense a few of the three and outs we had no chance and it wasn't his fault. On two straight we ran on first for no yards, he wasn't even the QB on second down because we ran the wildcat, and on third and long he was rushed immediately and ran like he'll just to throw it out of bounds. On those three plays Brady would not have got a first down. Not a chance.

Taylors biggest strength is that he doesnt turn the ball over. Its a very undervalued aspect of his game.

Enormously undervalued. And the best example of it was this game. Keesum put up decent stats. He hit a lot of passes. But watching the game I was just waiting for him to make a mistake more than worried that he was going to pull out a victory. And sure enough he threw the pick six. Two INT in five games, especially considering the one was a ridiculous catch by Patrick Peterson he should have knocked down, is tremendous.

I'm a Taylor fan but looking at running and passing stats this year, I see Gabbert and TT's stats are fairly similar. Obviously, not having Sammy has impacted what used to be a TT strength with yards per attempt. But other than the turnover differential, the numbers are not far apart. Almost identical pass and rush yards per game. That said, I'm OK with the numbers as long as the Bills are winning.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/playersort/nfl/year-2016-season-regular-category-passing

I don't think you can look at a 4-5 game stretch to determine a QB's value.

Otherwise, Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers, and Russell Wilson are on the level of Blaine Gabbert as well.

I think this is an instance of having to know which stats are important. TD/INT and overall INT are a critical stat. Very different there. Completion percentage 4% higher is also significant.

We're also at a point in the season where a single great or a single bad game (heck, even a single bad play) can really skew a QB's statistics, such as Taylor's "Wrong Hole" boo-boo last Sunday.

I was never sure that Taylor's YPA was a great strength last year (continued in the 1st 2 games) because it seemed very "boom and bust" - he would at times make the low percentage "deep throws" but miss the bread-and-butter "move the chains" throws. I view it as a positive development that in the NE and Card games he was able to complete more of the higher percentage "move the chains" dink-n-dunk stuff.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Yeah - i haven't watched them much but i assume its a lot of the chip kelly read option stuff. We run a bit of read option/speed option ourselves too. I'd honestly like to see more.

Comparing Tyrods stats in context vs some of the QBs you guys ball wash makes me believe in him even more. This is why stats never tell the whole story. Sure Gabberts and Tyrods stats are kinda similar but the results are much different. At the end of the day thats what matters, the results.

Taylors biggest strength is that he doesnt turn the ball over. Its a very undervalued aspect of his game.

Agreed but it's also because we don't want him to throw the ball a lot or over the middle. Good teams will take advantage of this.

I'm not sure you pay big bucks to a qb who don't want passing.

Agreed but it's also because we don't want him to throw the ball a lot or over the middle. Good teams will take advantage of this.

I'm not sure you pay big bucks to a qb who don't want passing.

How about paying one that has a 11-8 record as a starter in his first 19 games of his career? If the Bills win Sunday Tyrod will be at .600 as a starting QB for his career.

How about paying one that has a 11-8 record as a starter in his first 19 games of his career? If the Bills win Sunday Tyrod will be at .600 as a starting QB for his career.

IMO, the Bills are one of the most talented teams in NFL. How many games has Tyrod been the reason we won?

He's not terrible but he is a game manger who might not be as good as Alex Smith. How much is that worth?

TT is averaging about 180 yards passing per game, with a yards per attempt at less than 6.5. This, as opposed to his 2015 season when he was around 215 yards per game and 8 yards per attempt. That's a significant drop off.

The Bills can never go down early in a game and if they do, needing TT to throw them to victory isn't a good idea.

TT is averaging about 180 yards passing per game, with a yards per attempt at less than 6.5. This, as opposed to his 2015 season when he was around 215 yards per game and 8 yards per attempt. That's a significant drop off.

The Bills can never go down early in a game and if they do, needing TT to throw them to victory isn't a good idea.

Well said. He doesn't have a good come-from-behind record at all.

IMO, the Bills are one of the most talented teams in NFL. How many games has Tyrod been the reason we won?

He's not terrible but he is a game manger who might not be as good as Alex Smith. How much is that worth?

In what game this year were we one of the most talented teams in the league. On paper in April or May maybe? Dareus, Lawson, Ragland haven't played a down this year. Sammy, for what little he played, was a shell of himself, the No.2 RB from last year gained god knows how many pounds and got cut. Our N0. 1 WR is Robert Woods for crying out loud. Alex signed for 17 Mil a year I believe and I would think if Tyrod continues to start and more experience, he'll get better. I not saying Tyrod could carry us because he can't right now, especially with what he has to work with, but besides a good RB and above average TE he has nothing to work with or scare a defense.

In what game this year were we one of the most talented teams in the league. On paper in April or May maybe? Dareus, Lawson, Ragland haven't played a down this year. Sammy, for what little he played, was a shell of himself, the No.2 RB from last year gained god knows how many pounds and got cut. Our N0. 1 WR is Robert Woods for crying out loud. Alex signed for 17 Mil a year I believe and I would think if Tyrod continues to start and more experience, he'll get better. I not saying Tyrod could carry us because he can't right now, especially with what he has to work with, but besides a good RB and above average TE he has nothing to work with or scare a defense.

Call me nuts but minus qb and head coach, I think we are very close talent wise to the Pats.

Wtf are people drinking up there in buffalo?!? You realize that through a sample size of just five games Gabbert has 4 MORE INT'S and 1 LESS TD with almost the same attempts. Not a season. 5 games. Imagine TT throwing 4 more INTs at this point and one less TD. What do you think our record would be? But sure other than that little fact, their numbers are pretty similar. COME. ON. MAN!

Wtf are people drinking up there in buffalo?!? You realize that through a sample size of just five games Gabbert has 4 MORE INT'S and 1 LESS TD with almost the same attempts. Not a season. 5 games. Imagine TT throwing 4 more INTs at this point and one less TD. What do you think our record would be? But sure other than that little fact, their numbers are pretty similar. COME. ON. MAN!

I blame the negative spins on the fracking :lol: .