30 Years Ago Today: Ben Dreith, Giving Him the Business

Famous 'Giving him the business' call from Jets-Bills game turns 30 years old

One of the funniest things I've ever heard in sports.

that's so funny that today is the anniversary....i was imitating this at practice just today...telling my team we're "gonna hold (our rival) down this weekend and givem the business!" i love that penalty call.

Article summarizing the Jets/Bills MNF game from 1988:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1988-10-19/sports/8803010600_1_bills-coach-bills-defensive-end-fights

Kelly threw for three touchdowns in the first half -- two in the first quarter -- as the Bills took an early 24-0 lead and turned sold-out Giants` Stadium into a sideshow that had the players watching fights, fires and a Great Pumpkin caper in the stands.

``I said, `Let`s forget about the game. Let`s tape the fights in the stands,``` Kelly said. ``I`ve never seen anything like it in my life.``

``Put in Hershiser`` was one suggestion on a banner in the crowd of 70,218 that was out of control by the second half.

Security men had too many fights to handle, even when the crowd dwindled to less than 10,000 by the end of the game. After a smoke bomb was extinguished in the upper deck, several other small fires were set.

When security men confiscated an inflated pumpkin that was being batted around the stadium, the fans chanted: ``We want the pumpkin!`` They got it.

Jets spokesman Frank Ramos said the club never had experienced such an unruly crowd.

Fifteen fans were arrested for fighting and burning complimentary Jets caps.

Beer sales were suspended earlier than usual Monday night when the fans began to get restless and fight with each other, said Paul Wolcott, a spokesman for the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which owns the stadium.

``Because the crowd was getting unruly we cut beer sales off at the beginning of the third quarter,`` he said, noting the usual cut-off time is the end of the third quarter.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The scary part is I remember watching this when it happened!

That was 30 years ago?

God, I'm getting old.

Same here :cry:

I still have that Jim Kelly poster framed and signed with Mark Gastineau right behind him bearing down in my Bills room. I suppose I should call it my man cave now.

The scary part is I remember watching this when it happened!

That was 30 years ago?

God, I'm getting old.

Old? Try remembering Lamonica as a Bill.....

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk