Dareus says he got treatment for ADHD; no rehab

YoloinOhio

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she rakes in rich folks money who can afford life coaching......

Life coach.

I always thought that was funny.

Little Johnny, what do you want to be when you grow up . . . a policeman? A fire fighter? A doctor?

Little Johnny: No, I want to be a life coach.

@ChrisBrownBills

Marcell- good to see everybody again. I want to thank the Pegulas, teammates, the HOFers in this org. for supporting me. #Bills

@JoeBuscaglia

Marcell Dareus thanks the Pegulas. Says he's happy to be back playing football. #Bills

CuBtMWVWYAAc0Yh.jpg

Dareus said he just wanted to seek out some professional help for his decision making. #Bills

#Bills DL Marcell Dareus: Bruce Smith gave me a lot of positive reinforcement. He put things in perspective for me.

#Bills DL Marcell Dareus: The team's doing well. I'm not trying to mess up anything. I'm just trying to come back in smooth.

#Bills DL Marcell Dareus: It was a killer watching the team. It ate me up.

#Bills DL Marcell Dareus: This is my world. I love football. I'm just happy to be back.

@ChrisBrownBills

Marcell- had extensive conversations with ownership. Don't want to get into details. #Bills

Marcell- talking to doctors and life coach will continue and progress. #Bills.

@JoeBuscaglia

#Bills DL Marcell Dareus: I feel like I got exactly what I needed to help myself and to be the person I want to be.

@buffalobills

"We bleed, we sweat together. To know that I killed four weeks with these guys ate me up. They kept me in the loop. So happy to be back."

CuBvFDGWIAAeAdm.jpg
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I work for a non pharma/ non government funded ADHD support site. Ned Hollowell is well respected in the field of ADHD treatment and marijuana is probably second only to extreme caffeine consumption as a way of self medicating to treat ADHD. Sounds like Dareus has taken some positive steps in dealing with his issues. I take this article as a big positive.

Edited by driddles

I work for a non pharma/ non government funded ADHD support site. Ned Hollowell is well respected in the field of ADHD treatment and marijuana is probably second only to extreme caffeine consumption as a way of self medicating to treat ADHD. Sounds like Dareus has taken some positive steps in dealing with his issues. I take this article as a big positive.

Are we allowed to take anything relating to the Bills as a big positive?

I was under the impression that when it comes to Rex, Marcell, or the Bills in general we have to be negative and the glass is half empty at best.

Lets hope so.

I am all about Everyone being/ getting healthy. But we shall see. Both my trust meter on Dareus read low still.

I do hope that changes and soon. One hell of football player, and hardly a bad young Man.

Are we allowed to take anything relating to the Bills as a big positive?

I was under the impression that when it comes to Rex, Marcell, or the Bills in general we have to be negative and the glass is half empty at best.

It is both my Friend. We should all accept that ,and then tolerate the same.

Glad he is back in the " fold "

@ByTimGraham

Two sources tell me Marcell Dareus did not get suspended for missing one test as he claimed. He had multiple drug-program violations.

and you want to be the big reporter what do you know about this situation other than to quote other reporters.

This information is old stuff

real reporters should stop rehashing and find the truth.

you are part of the problem feeding the public the line of cra? that Dareus and his agent spill to keep his jersey sales up.

Adderall is allowed under a "therapeutic use exemption" with a diagnosis of ADD

Which is pretty weird, actually, when you think about it. Adderall is straight amphetamine. Ritalin is methylphenidate. So amphetamine is OK but methylphenidate isn't?

See above on meds.

ADHD can be real, and the meds for it can be game-changers. The thing is, for people who really have ADHD, they don't get a "buzz" off the drugs. It's one of the hallmarks - it just brings them back up to where they should be, may actually relax them. So the players who are describing getting a "buzz" off it are probably not a legitimate ADHD diagnosis.

Thanks, Hapless, for bringing fact into the discussion. And kudos to Dareus for publicly acknowledging the diagnosis.

There is a lot of misinformation about ADHD--most people think it's a bunch of hyper kids bouncing off of walls or phony diagnoses that are used to make excuses for people acting like a-holes. Fact is, it is a serious condition for children and adults. A common aspect of the condition is a problem with impulse control (see: weed when you know you're going to be tested, crashing into trees, synthetic weed, etc.). The individual knows that something is not good for him/not allowed, but does it anyway. As the father of two pre-teen boys with ADD, I can tell you that they are (a) not on Ritalin or Adderal, but on another med and (b) still have to manage their impulse control even when on the medication. Describing it as "bringing them up where they should be" is spot on. It doesn't fix the problem or make it go away. It just provides a bit more focus so that the individual can make better decisions.

The fact that Dareus has hired a life coach and Bruce Smith to give him a focal point makes perfect sense to me. They will be focal points for him in the off hours when he's not busting heads on the field. My boys, left to their own devices, will spend every waking hour on video games. I know all kids do that, but these guys will do it for hours to the exclusion of eating, sleeping, etc. It is possible that if Dareus finds himself with free time, his impulse might be to fire up a doob.

I hope, for his sake and his team's sake, that this diagnosis and treatment brings him a bit more focus.

We've interviewed Ned Hollowell a couple of times, he's a great go to guy for support , so Dareus is in good hands http://www.drhallowell.com/

One of the things we tell people who don't understand ADHD or think that the symptoms are things everyone has and are common is this - Many of these 'Symptoms' are common human behaviors. With ADHD they occur often, and they impair you. PLUS: ADHD is ongoing, perhaps lifelong, not, "Ever since my marriage ended I've been edgy." PLUS: ADHD is impairing in multiple areas of your life, not just, "I get agitated and scattered when my mother-in-law visits me."

I do social media for an independent ADHD support site (no pharma funding - no government money)

Marcell mentioned the ADHD and now everyone is running with it.

But I think he may also have a problem with depression. Both his parents died. His grandparents died. His brother was murdered. His high school coach and mentor died in a car accident after dropping him off. While he doesn't often talk about these things to reporters, when he does these personal tragedies clearly affect him deeply.

My guess, as a distant observer, is that Marcell would rather talk about the ADHD than the depression because it's an easier topic to address. But, in fact, he's having trouble dealing with both.

Marcell mentioned the ADHD and now everyone is running with it.

But I think he may also have a problem with depression. Both his parents died. His grandparents died. His brother was murdered. His high school coach and mentor died in a car accident after dropping him off. While he doesn't often talk about these things to reporters, when he does these personal tragedies clearly affect him deeply.

My guess, as a distant observer, is that Marcell would rather talk about the ADHD than the depression because it's an easier topic to address. But, in fact, he's having trouble dealing with both.

Dareus has publically stated that he's being treated for depression with a psychologist and psychiatrist. So there really should be no "may" or "think" about it (this isn't addressed to you Hondo, but to the myriad of skeptics who have emerged when this has been brought up). The man has stood up in a major media interview and said that straight out, skeptics please note, and note that there isn't a question of what he'd rather talk about.

For those who are interested in the basic functioning of the brain and how depression and ADHD symptoms can all roil together and actually both stem from stress and trauma especially early in life rather than as separate disorders (as does happen in some from stable homes who have not experienced trauma, neglect, or abuse), there's an interesting popular book called "The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog" by Bruce Perry, MD PhD which goes through some of his case histories while explaining what effect the events endured would have on the development and neurochemistry of the brain. (warning some of the case histories, even baldly presented without graphic details as they are, are pretty hard to read).

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan