I agree with Drew...

soljc

From the article WGR article, I do agree with DB that we should have opened it up for competition instead of crowning JP king without so much as a fight. And why not? This team was on the verge of the playoffs, we should be thinking about the playoffs next year, not how long until JP develops and takes us there.

If JP is as good as everyone wants to believe, let him demonstrate it with a solid camp. If he struggles--which is more likely than not given the current status of our OL and the history of rookie QBs--we're looking at making the playoffs in 2006 or later.

Just my $0.02, though I'm sure my opinion is in the minority.

There are 2 different offenses for Drew and JP. Mularkey had an O he ran in Pittsb that is his and he (and co) decided that the O needed to be better - and that meant going with a gameplan that required a more mobile qb w/ bootlegs, rollouts and such. Drew cannot run this offense. Thus, JP at the helm, and the ability to put in an entire offense that mularkey loves, and that JP is suited for.

From the article WGR article, I do agree with DB that we should have opened it up for competition instead of crowning JP king without so much as a fight.  And why not?  This team was on the verge of the playoffs, we should be thinking about the playoffs next year, not how long until JP develops and takes us there.

If JP is as good as everyone wants to believe, let him demonstrate it with a solid camp.  If he struggles--which is more likely than not given the current status of our OL and the history of rookie QBs--we're looking at making the playoffs in 2006 or later.

250885[/snapback]

The Bills had three years of fillm on Drew. They didn't need anymore.

I think there will be some competition at the QB position during camp. I just don't think the Bills wanted Drew to be part of it.

If JP wants to run the show I think he'll have to beat out a RichGannon or a CharlieBatch or a BradJohnson to do it. Or maybe even two of them.

Cya

From the article WGR article, I do agree with DB that we should have opened it up for competition instead of crowning JP king without so much as a fight.  And why not?  This team was on the verge of the playoffs, we should be thinking about the playoffs next year, not how long until JP develops and takes us there.

If JP is as good as everyone wants to believe, let him demonstrate it with a solid camp.  If he struggles--which is more likely than not given the current status of our OL and the history of rookie QBs--we're looking at making the playoffs in 2006 or later.

250885[/snapback]

Maybe...if there weren't cap issues involved. Were it a foregone conclusion that Bledsoe remains on the team, I'd agree with you. Factor the long-term cap implications of keeping Bledsoe around to compete...well, then things get a lot less clear-cut.

250885[/snapback]

we need to look at this a little more closely. Drew always has some very good camps. And why shouldn't he? He's been doing it long enough. But during the season he doesn't look like the same take charge type of guy. The reason?

It's practice. He would have mopped up the field with JP in a camp competition.

They are not allowed to hit the QB and the Defense isn't coming at him with true bad intentions. What you would see is Bledsoe getting more time to throw, more confidence. Of coarse, he knows he's not going to get his lung squashed in practice. So he's more poised.

Camp to me in that respect is deceiving. JP's first camp, what happened? he got hurt. Know why? he was trying too hard, got downfield running and Vincent is colorblind.

Seriously, the competition would have been in Drew's favor which does not neccessarily equate to regular season success.

From the article WGR article, I do agree with DB that we should have opened it up for competition instead of crowning JP king without so much as a fight.  And why not? 

250885[/snapback]

Because it wasn't part of the Bills' master plan. He was only a caretaker to hold down the fort until it was determined JP was ready. Once that day came, he lost his job. Sure, he didn't help his cause by losing the Steelers game... but this isn't rocket science, it really is as simple as that.

I think there will be some competition at the QB position during camp. I just don't think the Bills wanted Drew to be part of it.

If JP wants to run the show I think he'll have to beat out a RichGannon or a CharlieBatch or a BradJohnson to do it. Or maybe even two of them.

Cya

250901[/snapback]

Donahoe and MM specifically said they wanted him back on the team as a backup. If the Bills wanted outside competition to begin with then, they wouldn't have tried to keep Bledsoe as a QB. Does it really make sense for him to be third string? They might as well have just cut him straight off the bat.

Also, cutting him hasn't saved much money at all. The marginal cost of keeping Drew was what, 1.8 million? I am doubtful that we will get a competent backup for less than 1 million. Or does dead money not count?

If JP has trouble beating out those three guys, I have doubts about his success next year. There is a reason why Charlie Batch has been as low as third on the depth chart in recent years. Brad Johnson is all right, but Gannon has a cracked vertebrae, doesn't he? He seems about done...

*I still believe moving on to JP was the right thing to do.*

Cya

250901[/snapback]

Stop that right now.

You're making the heard think beyond today's soundbite.

(You forgot John Kitna)

Two points, the first is one made by Mike Shopp on the air this afternoon. If Drew is so adamant about an open competition why doesn't he insist that the Cowboys give Drew Henson a fair shot instead of annointing him the starter right now?

Second, if there was an open competition here and Drew lost, do you really think he would have handled it like the pro we'd all like to believe he is? That's hard to swallow after comments like, "I don't envision myself as a back-up in this league and especially not to J.P." and "I can't wait to get home and put the stars on my kids and get rid of the old (Bills) gear."

It says here that if DB were still a Bill, and he lost the job to JP in camp, he would need a skull and crossbones tattoo on his forehead because he'd be nothing but poison.

I wish him well in Dallas, but I'll be suprised if the experiment there is anything more than a bonafide train wreck.

the reason we were one game from the playoffs was not drew. he was probably why we didn't make it, but he wasn't the reason we almost did. that credit goes to the defense and special teams.

besides, we don't really know how the conversation went down. drew can say what he wants, but go back and listen to his comments after he was benched in NE. Similarly questionable in perspective. and that's drew. caught in his own perspective. he thinks he's better than he is.

I trust our coaches.

Go back and listen to Parcells' glowing comments about testaverde before the season began. the man has a fatal flaw. he expects too much from his oldies. they're not always goodies.

Donahoe and MM specifically said they wanted him back on the team as a backup. If the Bills wanted outside competition to begin with then, they wouldn't have tried to keep Bledsoe as a QB.

I don't think that the Bills did try to keep Bledsoe as QB at any spot on the depth chart. What they said isn't necessarily what they wanted and I think what they said was in itself a means to an end; that end being to send Drew down the road. If they really wanted him around next year they simply could have said, hey we're going to have an open competiiton next year in camp and Drew's response would have been, "fine, I'll win the job and this will still be my team". Instead they told him straight out he was being demoted in favor of a 2ndyear kid coming off a broken leg, a tack which I think they knew would result in Drew's response of "forget this, I want out of here". A request which they not only immediately granted but did so a full week before they were even supposed to.

They might as well have just cut him straight off the bat.

That's exactly what they did. A terse press statement announcing his release on the very first day they could. They made no effort to talk him into staying, nor did they want him to.

If JP has trouble beating out those three guys, I have doubts about his success next year. There is a reason why Charlie Batch has been as low as third on the depth chart in recent years. Brad Johnson is all right, but Gannon has a cracked vertebrae, doesn't he? He seems about done...

I'm not going to go into my CharlieBatch rant mode or provide opinions on how I view every potential QB whom the Bills may show an interest in. Those were just a few examples of the kind of guys I think the Bills will bring in during the offseason to give JP a run for his money. There's going to be a ton of options available, many whom have had success playing QB in the NFl and will undoubtedly provide a real challenge for any 1styear starter trying to win a job, whether that kid is JP or Joe Montana.

Basically I think the Bills did the right thing getting rid of Drew this early in the offseason and I think the way they want about it indicates that they really had no interest in him as a back-up regardless of what they said out loud.

I also don't believe for a second that they intend to simply hand the job to Losman and let him sink or swim. They will bring a quality vet that can run this offense.

You're making the heard think beyond today's soundbite.

Hey, I can looowwwww with the best of 'em!

There are 2 different offenses for Drew and JP.  Mularkey had an O he ran in Pittsb that is his and he (and co) decided that the O needed to be better - and that meant going with a gameplan that required a more mobile qb w/ bootlegs, rollouts and such.  Drew cannot run this offense.  Thus, JP at the helm, and the ability to put in an entire offense that mularkey loves, and that JP is suited for.

250898[/snapback]

Thank you ! I read the MM transcript. He said that most of his playbook couldnt be used because Drew doesnt have the skills to run the offense. JP does. Hence, the cut.

There WAS a competition for the Bills starting QB position - and Drew lost.

They took his body of work as a Bill and evaluated it versus that of an unproven rookie.

Drew came up on the losing side with his history.

Three years - no playoffs.

Three years - umpteen brain farts.

Three years - ever increasing excuses.

76.6 LIFETIME QB rating - AND DROPPING YEARLY!!!!!!!

250885[/snapback]

drew had 3 years to shine . played good for 6 months, big F EN deal.why think of giving him a shot ? why waste the MONEY on something that sucks ???