Medical/Training staff needs to be held accountable or FIRED

Alphadawg7

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

Look at the Glenn debacle. Or how about the fact that they didn't keep in touch with Henderson.

I feel as if they are fans who want to see the players on the field, so they rush things.

:thumbdown:

This is false! The medical staff was in touch with Henderson throughout his entire ordeal.

I'm going to leave the training staff out of this and focus on our medical staff offering advice/evaluations about these players. Bad enough their advice on Lawson and others, for Watkins if he had surgery in May 6-8 weeks is expected recovery time.

On the surface that means he should be fine come August. Sounds like the plan he was on.

Thing is, almost every source on Jones fractures mentions that this is a difficult injury to heal, owing to the lack of blood supply in that area. http://www.iwalk-free.com/injury-resource-center/jones-fracture/

Caution is indicated. Sammy came back and seemed ok, but to me his limping was getting progressively worse into the season, he was sitting more, and I have to believe the injury was getting more painful for him.

The advice told Rex is that Sammy wasn't going to make the injury worse and he needed to play through the pain. I understand they put a screw in his foot and that should keep things together but if his pain is getting worse? That just doesn't sound like good medical advice given the worsening of symptoms. Sounds like they just got a second opinion this week.

I agree with the OP that the FO needs to reevaluate who's giving our medical advice and go in a new direction.

I have been saying this for a long time now...why does this team have so much bad luck with keeping its talent healthy and on the field?

I got flamed during the off season and preseason for bringing this up and one of the main arguments back against me was Sammy Watkins recovery and him liking our trainers. Yet here we are again...Sammy just like last year, came back too early and wasn't ready and now instead of being healthy his problem lingered and now is missing more time.

McCoy last year too, Taylor, etc...our guys keep being put out there and cleared by our trainers before they are ready. When are they going to be held accountable for that when they really need to just sit the player to let it heal a week or two. Over and over again these mistakes happen, and our doctors and trainers also cleared Shaq and said he wouldn't need surgery and right out the gate it gets prove otherwise.

How much evidence needs to continue to pile up that our GM and coaches are being handicapped by bad decisions, information or poor recovery efforts on our players by our medical staff and trainers? We are either the most unlucky team in history (which isn't off the table lol) or our medical and training staff just aren't doing a good job.

People want to hold Rex and Whaley responsible for making decisions based on what the Medical staff and Trainers tell them...but when do they get to face the music? Its getting ridiculous around here, they can't keep anyone healthy...they can't get anyone healthy...they can't properly evaluate the medical risk of prospects. Im still looking around to see what exactly they have done well to have kept their jobs.

1. Players never come back healthy before expected.

2. Players rarely come back when expected and in full recovery.

3. Players frequently come back later than expected and often still not at 100%.

4. They frequently put our guys back out there before 100% and either see the injury become worse or see it linger on for long periods of time.

5. They were completely wrong in the advice they gave to Whaley about Shaq's shoulder.

I mean none of the above has anything to do with coaching or our GM. It can't all be bad luck when the one constant through the years is this terrible medical staff and training staff. I don't care if the players like them, doesn't make them effective at their job. I can think of tons of terrible Head Coaches players loved, didn't make them good coaches.

Its time some heads start roll in these departments IMO.

You suggest the staff should be held accountable or fired.

Usually the accountability comes in the form of dismissal.

So if the staff is retained but held accountable, what would you suggest? Leave without pay status?

That usually seems to be the punishment on cop drama TV shows.

You can add the kouandijo pick in here as well. He was a 2nd round pick expected to play RT; they thought immediately. Most teams didn't have him on their boards because of medical reasons.

Now the talk is that he can only play the left side because of his knee issue. So you have Glenn being paid as a top 10 LT and a you've spent a 2nd round pick on his backup.

I think the FO (i.e. Whaley) has the tendency to pick players with borderline injury histories. We've seen this with numerous picks, as well as free agency. We want to point our fingers at the medical staff, but they are not the ones drafting our players. Many of these players come with well documented injuries. At the end of the day, Whaley has final say and he has been selecting them.

If we had selected Gronk, who came with a clear injury history, would we be calling for the medical staff to be fired? He's injury prone and this is why the majority of teams avoided him. If Whaley was in charge that daft though, I'm sure we would've taken him.

Look at the Glenn debacle. Or how about the fact that they didn't keep in touch with Henderson.

:thumbdown:

What exactly was our medical staff to do with Henderson? They deal with sports medicine. Were they supposed to guide his Crohn's treatments? I'm glad they were hands-off in this situation. His disease is completely unrelated to football, so their hands were tied. Let him come back when he's ready. They played this one correctly. Edited by Saint Doug

You can add the kouandijo pick in here as well. He was a 2nd round pick expected to play RT; they thought immediately. Most teams didn't have him on their boards because of medical reasons.

Now the talk is that he can only play the left side because of his knee issue. So you have Glenn being paid as a top 10 LT and a you've spent a 2nd round pick on his backup.

and?

Its a draft pick....if you have a player that is good enough to play left tackle....it was a good pick

Rex said a player stepped on his foot during a walk through and that player was released. He didn't play since so it must've made it worse.

See that right there is feasable and info I am looking for....maybe he got his foot stepped on which reaggrivated the thing (and maybe he came back too soon as well)

As I said from the start of all this....I didnt want to see Sammy Watkins limp all over the field.....I would rather watch other 100 percent wide outs play and THEN watch a 100 percent Sammy Watkins

Who performed the surgery on Sammy's foot? The team Orthopod or someone else that Sammy chose?

Where did he have Physical Therapy? Through a personal trainer, medical center, or The Bills center?

Did he complete his prescribed PT regime or did he rush back?

What alternatives to the surgery were offered to him?

Kevin Everett probably agrees with every word of this. Dez Bryant, Kevin Durant, Julian Edelman, and Julio jones probably will, too, when they read it.

Also, how were you privy to the medical advice given with respect to shaq Lawson prior to the draft?

Everett benefitted from an adjunctive and forward thinking therapy employed by his neuro-spine surgeon immediately after his injury and before his operation.

Not sure what this has to do with the OP topic.

Serious question RE: pre-draft physicals/med evaluations. Does anybody know how the process works? Seems to be that several teams thought that Lawson would require surgery before the draft. I wonder what medical info is actually shared and how thorough the evaluation is? If anyone knows, I think it could shed some light on the topic. Thanks!

Serious question RE: pre-draft physicals/med evaluations. Does anybody know how the process works? Seems to be that several teams thought that Lawson would require surgery before the draft. I wonder what medical info is actually shared and how thorough the evaluation is? If anyone knows, I think it could shed some light on the topic. Thanks!

I don't have the answers you seek, but in the spirit of the Internet, I have a completely uninformed opinion I will share with you instead. Whaley knew exactly what he was getting with Lawson. Our medical staff informed him of their professional opinion(s). He drafted him anyways.

Because Rex, Whaley, and the medical staff all publicly stated during interviews after the draft that our medical staff cleared Shaq and said the shoulder would be fine and wouldn't need surgery.

Im fine with taking Shaq even if we knew he would need surgery because it was a short time out and non career impacting. However, that doesn't change the fact they were wrong on their recommendation when other teams said he would need the surgery. Its the fact these things keep getting bumbled that I am tired of.

Really, it is just as likely that things didn't get bumbled medically. Rex has no filter, no firewall. I think that is what leads to these problems. If he talks, people believe it is the corporate message, but it appears that he often talks more freely than he should.

Because Rex, Whaley, and the medical staff all publicly stated during interviews after the draft that our medical staff cleared Shaq and said the shoulder would be fine and wouldn't need surgery.

I'm sure I missed it and you are correct, but can you give me a link where the "medical staff" gave an interview about drafting Shaq? I would love to read an interview where healthcare workers publicly give their medical opinions about one of their patients.