Whaley has been a complete failure as a GM

Yeezus

I am a Whaley fan and here is what I think he deserves credit for:

- Letting the right players walk (Byrd, Levitre, CJ). They had values at which they would bring those guys back and when they didn't match the values they let them go.

- Paying the premium position guys (LT -Glenn, Disruptive DT - Dareus, Pass Rusher - Hughes) and if he can "prove it" the way the contract is set up he will have tied down a Quarterback but he hasn't tied us to him if he fails this year.

- Excellent dust settles and street FA pickups. From Zach Brown, to Corbin Bryant to Chris Hogan, to Lorenzo Alexander, to Stefan Charles, to Jordan Mills, to TD Mike, the Bills have added not only solid depth guys this way but starters and serious contributors. His record in this aspect of the job is legitimately in the top half dozen or so in the league.

- A generally decent talent evaluator in the draft. The reach for EJ not withstanding only Kujo looks a bust of the picks he has spent on the first 3 rounds and he has picked up some good players in later rounds even if not all remain on the team for various reasons. I was a big Shaq Lawson guy pre-draft and am convinced the wait will be worth it.

- the trades. Hughes for Sheppard the obvious one, and whilst I understand the Watkins deal haters I don't agree with them. I was a bit unsure myself originly but Watkins is a special talent.

Here is what I think he deserves critcism for:

- Whatever part he played in the EJ decision. Don't mind them taking a shot and actually once Buddy was tricked into bad mouthing Fitz on a recording they had to take a shot. But you can't stand here knowing what we know and say it was anything other than disappointing and a reach for need.

- Charles Clay. Look I get it he is one kf the few genuine do it all tight ends in the league and this offense needs that type of guy. The contract they gave him was stupid and I know the huge guaranteed money in year 2 was the stop the Dolphins matching but it was too much for a guy of his talent. At one stage it was a highee guaranteed % than any non-rookie deal QB in the league. Nonsense.

- I don't hate McCoy and I don't subscribe to running backs are all ten a penny.... but the contract isn't great.

- Receiver depth this year. They let a better player go than most here realised when Hogan walked. He is significantly better than any non Watkins or Woods receiver on this team and he and Woods are very close ability wise. Not properly replacing him hurts. I get the cap was tight... but we are feeling the effects of limited passing options.

Things Whaley is not to blame for:

- Sammy Watkins' injuries

- Reggie Ragland's injury

- He is also not the main culprit for the hire of Rex Ryan. That was the owners.

Overall I still believe he is in credit but he has made some mistakes. If Rex goes in January I suspect Doug goes too (he will get another GM shot somewhere at some stage) but if Rex goes and Doug stays the next Head Coach must be HIS choice. No more coaching hires foisted upon him by management.

Totally rebuilt the offensive line in 2 years in a pretty nice way.

I would bet a pretty penny that this is his last GM job in the NFL, everyone down here thinks Whaley is a total clown. I wonder what his reputation is around the rest of the country. He has found some talented players but he has shown absolutely zero ability to build a team. He makes short sighted rash decisions, I almost feel like it's one of us fans running the show. Oh it looks shiney! I need it!! Now!!

Over paying Clay who had well documented issues with that knee. Trading a lions share for a WR in that draft...yikes. Clay was the Swiss Army knife of a tight end and Sammy was the best play maker in the draft. Gime those shiney toys. Right Doug? Way to much invested into a WR and we are seeing how easily that can turn around and bite a team. Messing around with drafting and signing players with preexisting injuries is another sign of a GM who just doesn't get it.

The lack of forward thinking is probably my biggest complaint. No back up plan at WR? .... Spending to the cap in Rex's first year and leaving themselves very limited space to retool. Why must all eggs go into the basket when your trotting out EJ, Tyrod and Matt Cassle in a 3 way QB battle? Is that the year you want to go all in? Are we still all in? I forget. Trading for Shady and redoing the contract to appease him was also foolish. Ground and pound! Ground and pound! Why the hell you going to overpay an aging shifty back to run in Roman's system.

Humans aren't meant to play football and Doug Whaley isn't meant to be a GM. A scout? Sure. He can go scout in the ACC he will feel right at home.

Edited by Commonsense

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bet a pretty penny that this is his last GM job in the NFL, everyone down here thinks Whaley is a total clown. I wonder what his reputation is around the rest of the country. He has found some talented players but he has shown absolutely zero ability to build a team. He makes short sighted rash decisions, I almost feel like it's one of us fans running the show. Oh it looks shiney! I need it!! Now!!

Over paying Clay who had well documented issues with that knee. Trading a lions share for a WR in that draft...yikes. Clay was the Swiss Army knife of a tight end and Sammy was the best play maker in the draft. Gime those shiney toys. Right Doug? Way to much invested into a WR and we are seeing how easily that can turn around and bite a team. Messing around with drafting and signing players with preexisting injuries is another sign of a GM who just doesn't get it.

The lack of forward thinking is probably my biggest complaint. No back up plan at WR? .... Spending to the cap in Rex's first year and leaving themselves very limited space to retool. Why must all eggs go into the basket when your trotting out EJ, Tyrod and Matt Cassle in a 3 way QB battle? Is that the year you want to go all in? Are we still all in? I forget. Trading for Shady and redoing the contract to appease him was also foolish. Ground and pound! Ground and pound! Why the hell you going to overpay an aging shifty back to run in Roman's system.

Humans aren't meant to play football and Doug Whaley isn't meant to be a GM. A scout? Sure. He can go scout in the ACC he will feel right at home.

Well said, and so many fans love him because of the aforementioned "shiny toys". It's like his entire plan as GM is to excite the fanbase rather than building a solid all around team. In many ways Sammy never stood a chance here against the expectations that were created by how much he cost. Anything less then being the next Jerry Rice was bound to be a disappointment.

Not sure who does the contracts... but the depth at receiver could've been helped had we given hogan the extra 900K and a 2nd round tender. No way he gets touched there, then we have an extra receiver who we like. That was a pretty bad mistake, seeing the guys we trotted out this preseason. But i can't say for sure that Whaley was behind it, because i don't work there. Easy to blame Whaley on something that could absolutely have been Overdorf.

Overpaying clay sucks... but it's not like he's legit terrible. He's a starting TE, just not much of a playmaker in the offense we have.

The problem with just tanking in the NFL, is usually you get fired. So why would I as a GM want to tank, when i know i won't be around for the rebuild? That's why teams are constantly rebuilding...

Edited by dneveu

Not sure who does the contracts... but the depth at receiver could've been helped had we given hogan the extra 900K and a 2nd round tender. No way he gets touched there, then we have an extra receiver who we like. That was a pretty bad mistake, seeing the guys we trotted out this preseason. But i can't say for sure that Whaley was behind it, because i don't work there. Easy to blame Whaley on something that could absolutely have been Overdorf.

If Whaley doesn't have enough clout to decide what tender level to offer a RFA then he should have been fired a long time ago.

LOL

Like who? Who has Whaley discovered thats so special on the offense? Rex brought Tyrod in, only credit Whaley gets is Richie, which again might have been Rex's idea.

Define "special"

You do realize they cannot all be special players.....solid starters will do

"everyone down here"

Is this under a bridge?

Define "special"

You do realize they cannot all be special players.....solid starters will do

"everyone down here"

Is this under a bridge?

John if you want to make valid points in defense of what I mentioned I'd be more than happy to have a conversation. What your doing is trolling, don't bother me with that nonsense I won't be responding to it. You offer nothing but jaded optimism and idiotic one liners to anyone whose opinions differ from yours. Edited by Commonsense

It's a tough crossroads and I have waffled a bit in the last year.

I was very pro-Whaley in the marrone face off. Still like those early moves even though some are in tough spots today. The post-pegula moves I've been a bit anxious about.

Didn't like the Rex hire- but no idea how much sway he held

Didn't love incognito but he proved me very wrong

Didn't love the McCoy trade/extension but not vehemently against it.

I was pro clay because he was such a great piece for roman. Well now knees and scheme make me wonder a little about making him a cornerstone.

But there's stuff like I think that in his long term planning- Whaley probably didn't expect to have to do so much to restock the defense so thoroughly. So maybe some of these depth problems at WR and TE are products of the Rex transition being harder than expected.

It's also tough with the qb situation. Normally when it's unsettled you get to splurge on things like WR2 or even 3, and random depth players.... but he's had to carve out plans for a TT extension. Once you PAY a qb he's supposed to cover for some stuff. Hard to fault Whaley here- he's handled a tough situation reasonably.

Edited by NoSaint

John if you want to make valid points in defense of what I mentioned I'd be more than happy to have a conversation. What your doing is trolling, don't bother me with that nonsense I won't be responding to it. You offer nothing but jaded optimism and idiotic one liners to anyone whose opinions differ from yours.

And you do the same thing except jaded pessimism. Why are you so mad bro?

It's a tough crossroads and I have waffled a bit in the last year.

I was very pro-Whaley in the marrone face off. Still like those early moves even though some are in tough spots today. The post-pegula moves I've been a bit anxious about.

Didn't like the Rex hire- but no idea how much sway he held

Didn't love incognito but he proved me very wrong

Didn't love the McCoy trade/extension but not vehemently against it.

I was pro clay because he was such a great piece for roman. Well now knees and scheme make me wonder a little about making him a cornerstone.

But there's stuff like I think that in his long term planning- Whaley probably didn't expect to have to do so much to restock the defense so thoroughly. So maybe some of these depth problems at WR and TE are products of the Rex transition being harder than expected.

It's also tough with the qb situation. Normally when it's unsettled you get to splurge on things like WR2, and random depth players.... but he's had to carve out plans for a TT extension. Once you PAY a qb he's supposed to cover for some stuff. Hard to fault Whaley here- he's handled a tough situation reasonably.

Great point. When you've invested and built a great defense, you shouldn't have to start over. A lot of resources could have been spent more wisely had we kept our successful DC.

Is Yeezus the worst guy on the board? He will justvtroll until he gets banned.

I was hoping everyone would just ignore him and let it whither on the vine until it died, but then a get curious when smart people comment and I have to look. It's a personal dilemma .

If were being honest here. Outside of maybe 1 or 2 good FA pickups his drafts and personnel decisions have been below average. I see people every day claiming how he is one of the "best GM's in football". What a load of crap. What exactly has this guy done to get that title?

Idc what you say, he drafted EJ. Picking a 1st round QB in possibly the worst QB class in the last 15 years was awful decision making. He then supported EJ and tried to get him weapons, that ended up failing big time. Watkins has been an injury prone nightmare. His 2016 draft has already had 2 guys out for the year and 1 guy who will miss half. Karlos williams was a disaster. Darby has prob been his best pick but he has only had 1 good season.

Our WR depth and oline depth is a complete joke, he has done NOTHING to address this so far. Sammy went into training camp injured and we still didn't pick anyone up. Clay has been a waste of money, and McCoy is aging fast.

Whaley is not the guy that should be staying with this team for the future. We are 1-2 soon to be 1-3 and does anyone really see this team making the playoffs this year? What do we even have to look forward to? Does anyone trust this guy picking another QB in the draft? B/c I don't.

Even before Rex, Whaley should be gone. New GM can find his own staff and scouts.

I wouldnt say complete failure breh. He has made some really stupid !@#$ing decisions. EJ was a late 2nd round pick at most. Raglands gonna be a really good player breh, that ACL came outta nowhere, he does get blame for the Shaq pick tho, ESPECIALLY IF U KNEW HE NEEDED SURGERY HE SHOULDA GOT IT DONE AS SOON AS HE SIGNED!! Whos idea was it to not rest Sammy all training camp? And whos idea was it not to bring in another top WR? oh man im getting pissed off thinking about it now. Whats ur top Yeezy album breh?

Edited by Marty McFly

I was hoping everyone would just ignore him and let it whither on the vine until it died, but then a get curious when smart people comment and I have to look. It's a personal dilemma .

I do the same thing. He will never see the bye week. He's really dragging down the quality of the board.

You are your record. That's what's great about sports.

Some people "explain" and have all sorts of really good reasons and stats about how some guy or some team was really great.

Others just win and collect accolades.

Nobody gives a crap about the former, and all the glory goes to the latter.

That said, the story of 2016 is not yet written. Let's see what happens.

Is Yeezus the worst guy on the board? He will just troll until he gets banned.

I dont think hes trolling, sounds like a pissed off fan. Not all of us can see the silver lining in injury vomit :lol::lol:

And you do the same thing except jaded pessimism. Why are you so mad bro?

John if you want to make valid points in defense of what I mentioned I'd be more than happy to have a conversation. What your doing is trolling, don't bother me with that nonsense I won't be responding to it. You offer nothing but jaded optimism and idiotic one liners to anyone whose opinions differ from yours.

LOL

34133678.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Being objective. Correct about EJ. Also correct about having no contingency for Watkins considering his injury was known about in camp. The rest of the assertions are off base or not within Whaley's control.

Being objective. Correct about EJ. Also correct about having no contingency for Watkins considering his injury was known about in camp. The rest of the assertions are off base or not within Whaley's control.

Totally agree. The only thing I would say is that moving forward, assuming he is still with the Bills, is that we need a quarterback. Without a quarterback you don't have a chance I love Tyrod but he's just not the answer.

That being said I hope he in the rest the Buffalo lights it up this weekend and kicks the Patriots' ass.

GO BILLS!!!