Whaley has been a complete failure as a GM

Yeezus

Drafting Shaq and trading for McCoy were both questionable at best as well.

I also know hindsight yada yada, but drafting trading up for Sammy is proving to be a disaster in light of the other WRs that would have been around if we stayed out.

I have always been of the opinion that you never trade what we traded to get a WR. IMO it was one of the most incompetent GM moves I have ever seen. Missing on a QB is one thing, but giving up so much for a WR is insanity. I don't understand how people find it forgivable. Especially considering the fact that the guy has had nagging injuries every year of his career. Whaley's time should be up, but too many people are blinded by all the fancy shiny toys he brings in. Brining in guys who had decorated college careers, and tons of athletic potential basically fooled many of us into viewing Whaley is a good GM. People chased Donahue out of here, yet anyone who puts Whaley down is a "troll". His teams just haven't won enough games, but I guess you are supposed to like our talent. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I've seen a bunch assert he's the best GM buffalo has had in a long time, I didn't see the "best in football" one anywhere worth remembering.

I will add it is becoming so obvious to me the winning formula seems to require a head coach and QB that are in synch and a head coach and GM that are in synch. Hitting all three isn't easy.

I have always been of the opinion that you never trade what we traded to get a WR. IMO it was one of the most incompetent GM moves I have ever seen. Missing on a QB is one thing, but giving up so much for a WR is insanity. I don't understand how people find it forgivable. Especially considering the fact that the guy has had nagging injuries every year of his career. Whaley's time should be up, but too many people are blinded by all the fancy shiny toys he brings in. Brining in guys who had decorated college careers, and tons of athletic potential basically fooled many of us into viewing Whaley is a good GM. People chased Donahue out of here, yet anyone who puts Whaley down is a "troll". His teams just haven't won enough games, but I guess you are supposed to like our talent.

Yet another person that has decided to piggyback off of this strawman.

That's not even remotely true.

Just have the gumption to back up your opinion with facts. If you want to criticize the guy, do it with some sort of context. Look around the league and see what other GMs are doing; compare him to his peers. Have an idea of what the good teams do versus what is happening here. Be informed.

Simply spouting off "he's below average and everyone here says he's the best all the time", as was stated in the opening line of the OP, is unfounded and unsupported, and should be challenged.

Whaley is willing to make moves. The Good. Liked both the McCoy and Hughes trades. He won those. Took a chance on Incognito and that worked out too. The Bad. Not sure if Manuel was his or Nix's pick but that was made out of desperation. Nix had said it was a bad year to need a franchise QB before the draft and someone still forced the pick. No way should have given up two #1's for Watkins in a draft filled with talented WR's. That was a big mistake. Also don't know who is spending all this money but the contracts for Glenn, Taylor, Clay, Hughes, and Dareus have netted little return on a huge investment. Plus he got duped on the Lawson pick. The guy was damaged good before the draft. Whaley will be fired either this year or next because the ultimate goal is the playoffs which he has failed.

Edited by DDD

Yet another person that has decided to piggyback off of this strawman.

That's not even remotely true.

Just have the gumption to back up your opinion with facts. If you want to criticize the guy, do it with some sort of context. Look around the league and see what other GMs are doing; compare him to his peers. Have an idea of what the good teams do versus what is happening here. Be informed.

Simply spouting off "he's below average and everyone here says he's the best all the time", as was stated in the opening line of the OP, is unfounded and unsupported, and should be challenged.

Other GM's have had playoff teams. That's all I need to say.

Some posters deal in baseless extremes instead of rational, measured, and well thought out fact based argument. :thumbdown:

I thought football was about winning? It's nice that we have these guys who were great college players, but we haven't built a coherent team. What makes Whaley better than a guy like Donahue? I want someone to explain this to me. So all you Whaley fan boys really think the Sammy move looks like a good move in its third season? Give me a break. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I thought football was about winning? It's nice that we have these guys who were great college players, but we haven't built a coherent team. What makes Whaley better than a guy Donahue? I want someone to explain this to me. So all you Whaley fan boys really think the Sammy move looks like a good move in its third season? Give me a break.

It's Donahoe. Whaley has not been perfect by any means, but he has assembled good talent on this team.

It's Donahoe. Whaley has not been perfect by any means, but he has assembled good talent on this team.

The talent has not won anymore than Donahoe's talent did though. He assembled talent as well. We have no WR depth. Reached for Manuel, which was a terrible pick. I could go on and on. It won't change how anyone feels, but this league is about winning. Every NFL team has talent. These guys were all good in college.

Other GM's have had playoff teams. That's all I need to say.

Quick question--without looking, since Whaley was promoted in 2013 (since we're all pretty much in agreement that he had autonomy when Russ took over for Ralph), how many GMs have had playoff seasons?

See, this is the type of knowledge I expect from someone when they want to make the comparison.

If the answer is "I don't care, if you can't make the playoffs in 3 years then you aren't good enough", that's fine. I don't necessarily disagree, but when terms like "below average" get thrown around, that's when I start looking for context, since average is, by definition, a comparison to the field.

Decent talent. And I'd make the argument that at the most critical position we have a guy that hasn't really shown that he has the skills necessary to be a truly successful QB (reading defenses, using the whole field, throwing to receivers in stride and on time).

I don't think Whaley is horrible, just basically average. Not that controversial I guess. But I would say average isn't good enough.

Edited by dubs

The talent has not won anymore than Donahoe's talent did though. He assembled talent as well. We have no WR depth. Reached for Manuel, which was a terrible pick. I could go on and on. It won't change how anyone feels, but this league is about winning. Every NFL team has talent. These guys were all good in college.

You ever heard of Buddy Nix?

I'll never fault the organization for the EJ pick. They didn't have anything that resembled a possible franchise QB, so they took the guy they felt had the best chance.

There are people on this board that absolutely skewer the team for not drafting QBs and taking as many bites at the apple as they need in order to get it right, yet the one time they do pick a QB they get flamed for that as well.

The bigger fault, IMO, is not hedging their bet on EJ and bringing in another potential franchise guy in case he didn't work out.

I'll never fault the organization for the EJ pick. They didn't have anything that resembled a possible franchise QB, so they took the guy they felt had the best chance.

There are people on this board that absolutely skewer the team for not drafting QBs and taking as many bites at the apple as they need in order to get it right, yet the one time they do pick a QB they get flamed for that as well.

The bigger fault, IMO, is not hedging their bet on EJ and bringing in another potential franchise guy in case he didn't work out.

Fair enough, posters do always want the team to draft QBs. My issue was that we probably could have gotten him in the second round, and EJ did not show much in college to indicate being a successful NFL QB. As a college football fan I was never even impressed with him at FSU and shuttered when we drafted him. He basically made a living off screen passes, and having superior athletes at FSU. Player assesments are a thing of personal preference, but I could never understand what they saw in EJ to warrant the 16th pick. His college coach even said he'd be a backup before retracting his comment out of decency. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5