Whaley has been a complete failure as a GM

Yeezus

Who picked them again?

Any gm worth anything would have told the bills to take a hike and would have teams "lining up" to hire him immediately (just like we heard with darcy regier). By some opinions here, his hands have been completely tied and bad decisions forced down his throat (ej, coaches)... but then when people start on russ brandon.... the accountability magically shifts again.

Either way, this football program is broken

Edited by May Day 10

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan and Whaley both report directly to Pegs. The Rex hiring was the Pegulas call with a big recommendation from Russ.

For the record: if Whaley was against the Rex hire he could've (and would've) made his push.

He was on board...he most definitely had his crack at Rex during the process.

For the record: if Whaley was against the Rex hire he could've (and would've) made his push.

He was on board...he most definitely had his crack at Rex during the process.

The bottom line is that is was not his call and this is evidenced by the structure that has both he and Rex reporting directly to ownership as equals with different responsibilities in the football department.

The agenda I find no fault with. It's forcing a pick top reach for a QB prospect who lacks a 1st round grade that I take issue with. They traded down once in 2013 and should have done it again.

Well, they painted themselves into a corner. Buddy spouted off to anyone that would listen that Fitz was no longer an option going forward, and they ended up dumping him on the scrap heap before the draft. Some might shift blame or call that leadership, but it left them with no alternative other than having to roll the dice in the draft on a QB. But what's even more surprising is that these professional talent evaluators went through all this prior to a draft with the weakest QB class since the one where the Bills drafted Trent Edwards. Of course, we could just shrug and mutter "bad luck" under our breath...

The rubber mat says Wassup! :sick:

No, that was the year before. May Day 10 is correct in laughing at Whaley's attempt to enter a season with EJ, Thad Lewis, and Tuel as our quarterbacks. That was the year of the desperate 11th-hour Orton signing when that plan blew up.

You think that's bad?

When free agency starts in 2017, there's a very, very good chance the only quarterback on the roster will be our 3rd string project QB.

Or are we still pretending that we're going to win a title with just a running game and defense?

A big problem, that lingers, is that when the Pegulas bought the team, everyone was saying they should bring in a solid, knowlegeable person to advise and guide them about the in and outs of owning a pro football team. A number of names were mentioned but nothing occurred. This team and its owners could still use a Director of Football Operations who's previously worked in some high, responsible capacity for a successful football operation. Let him be the eyes and ears, and the helping hand for the owners. The perfect example of where this didn't occur, aside from Buffalo, is in Washington. Big Man Snyder bought the team, decided it was his and only his show, and made all the decisions for years without allowing knowledgeable football people intercede. Look where that took them. I like Whaley but he and the Pegulas can't successfully do it alone; that's pretty clear. Ryan and Brandon certainly don't help. If things were to change in this regard tomorrow, Whaley may have a problem with the new arrangement. If he does, he can always leave or be replaced. Another option is to bring in that top shelf guy and make him both DOFO and GM. Where's Belichik when you need him?

The debate, if there is one, will be answered very shortly.

If the Whaley / Rex Ryan / TTaylor Bills CAN'T beat the Patriots without Brady, the season is another loss at then 1-3 : Ryan then needs to go

as does Whaley at their collective efforts will be not enough.

Whaley missing on 2 Head Coaches.

Whaley missing on 2 QBs.

Whaley missing on picks.

Whaley handing out the wrong contracts to the wrong people.

IF they win and go on to make the playoffs, give 1 more year.

Handing out the wrong contracts to the wrong people? This is like the opposite of reality. Pray tell, who are guys we shouldn't have re-signed that we did and who are guys we should've kept that we let go? I'll hang up and listen.

The time they walzed into a season with ej, thad lewis, and tuel as the quarterbacks... haha

But that was probably.... hmmm.. marrones fault

Thad Lewis played admirably for a backup that year. I wanna know who was out there that he should have gotten instead. People act like securing a franchise QB is a talent that certain gm's have and certain gm's don't. Yes, what a brilliant stroke of genius it was when the Patriots took Brady. And what terrible scouting it was when the Raiders took Jamarcus Russell. Even though every other team in the league would've also taken Russell there. IT'S A FREAKING CRAPSHOOT. Should they have rolled the dice by drafting more qb's prior to Whaley? Yes. But he has done his best to try and find one. Edited by metzelaars_lives

How do folks feel about the TT contract now? Baring tremendous improvement TT will not be staying in Buffalo and earning the 2nd year of that deal. The contract and its structure may send TT packing. So next year we start all over with Cardale? All because they had to throw money at TT in August, that is going to look terrible if TT continues down the path he is going.

I really feel that a big part of the problem is we just run all the years together instead of starting and stopping with each new mgt change

You can say your not doing.....but you are

I've given you a hard time lately but in a real question... where do you draw those lines of demarcation between "regimes"?

Leaving off this year as "in progress"

We have a year of Rex

Two years into pegula

Three years into Whaley (but Whaley was here as asst gm!)(and that gm he assisted was a scout prior!)

Guys like overdorf go waaaaay back

The lines are really blurry and I'm not sure where the last "fresh start" really was.

How do folks feel about the TT contract now? Baring tremendous improvement TT will not be staying in Buffalo and earning the 2nd year of that deal. The contract and its structure may send TT packing. So next year we start all over with Cardale? All because they had to throw money at TT in August, that is going to look terrible if TT continues down the path he is going.

I think the opposite. The way he is playing makes that deal look very sensible.

I think the opposite. The way he is playing makes that deal look very sensible.

You are one of the very few that feel that way.

What are YOU seeing that I am not seeing? Seriously.

Do you know where the Bills passing game is ranked right now?

Take a guess...

Take a guess...

And it's headed up by just about the lowest paid qb with an out at the end of the year. Short of not tweaking the original deal, this was about the best possible option b. Edited by NoSaint

Take a guess...

No I think the passing game looks awful. The point is the contract is easily escapable this offseason. It was essentially low risk high reward. We took very little risk on that deal. It looks like it won't work out, fine, we are able to move on without it handcuffing us.

No I think the passing game looks awful. The point is the contract is easily escapable this offseason. It was essentially low risk high reward. We took very little risk on that deal. It looks like it won't work out, fine, we are able to move on without it handcuffing us.

Oh, OK. I misunderstood.

They need to draft another QB this year, again, and keeping drafting until you get someone. IMO

Oh, OK. I misunderstood.

They need to draft another QB this year, again, and keeping drafting until you get someone. IMO

I agree. They need to take the low risk out that is inserted in TT's deal and draft a Quarterback early. I am only just starting to get into this year's likely 1st round QB candidates so I don't have a favourite yet.

I really feel that a big part of the problem is we just run all the years together instead of starting and stopping with each new mgt change

You can say your not doing.....but you are

true but regardless.....none have been successful

I've given you a hard time lately but in a real question... where do you draw those lines of demarcation between "regimes"?

Leaving off this year as "in progress"

We have a year of Rex

Two years into pegula

Three years into Whaley (but Whaley was here as asst gm!)(and that gm he assisted was a scout prior!)

Guys like overdorf go waaaaay back

The lines are really blurry and I'm not sure where the last "fresh start" really was.

No doubt they are blury because Pegula didnt come in and blow the whole thing up from the start

A couple of things

- I also did not agree with not hiring a "Director of Football Operations" guy that has been with a successful organization rex or no rex......I would have kept Whaley because frankly I like Doug Whaley's drafts as a whole.......its not his fault that players get hurt......or get in trouble.....or eat themselves out of the league. His job is to FIND THE TALENT. Which he has done.

- I think Rex wanted more power and it was part of the negotiation to NOT hire a Czar type because of that....and if that was the case I would have moved onto another candidate.

- They did not....and that was a gamble

- Rex had a 1st year where he pushed a complicated D onto a team that had a nicely working D.....it took a while to get the right players to fit it but in the meantime the O improved especially in its running game.

- In year 2.....there have been a lot of unexpected things that have happened.....Marcels suspension....an injury to our blue chip receiver.....a 1st round pick not on the field....the best MLB in the draft goes down to injury we took with our 2nd pick.....Tyrod Taylor is off to a slow start

BUT

I would like to remind everyone that we are in fact in game FOUR of a SIXTEEN game regular season.......and despit all those things happening we did just beat a Super Bowl contender last week.

I want to see the season play out before I think of any definative statements