NFL Television ratings

jaybee

I think the NFL will be OK with TV ratings. Baseball and Hockey are where I see problems in the near future, and I think it is the case after a few conversations with some friends who got rid of cable.

I have 2 friends who are pretty big sports fans...and their families just got rid of cable in the last year. What they told me is they miss watching sports, but once you make the decision to get rid of cable, you come to terms with it. As far as the Sabres and MLB games go, you pretty much come to grips with not watching every game. You read the recaps, watch highlights online...catch some games at a friends house or a local restaurant/bar, but you live with that decision. The thing is, as long as MLB and NHL games are primarily on Cable, those who 'cut the cord' are not coming back...they will live with the reduced exposure to the sport. The NFL, however, is still available on broadcast TV (and BASIC cable, which you can get for about $10 a month).

As long as the NFL doesn't push for more games on higher tier Cable networks, they will be OK. This is just a blip.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“No evidence” of anthem protest

Of course the NFL has to say that. They want to deflect an issue that is difficult for them to resolve. From people I see at work, by far that is the main reason they have no interest in the NFL now

Of course the NFL has to say that. They want to deflect an issue that is difficult for them to resolve. From people I see at work, by far that is the main reason they have no interest in the NFL now

I also believe this is a bigger hitter than originally thought as I'm hearing the same both at home and nationally. The trend so far has not reversed per Ben Maller on his Thursday night presentation.

@ConorOrr

Goodell on TV ratings: "We don't make excuses." Said consumer behavior, media consumption changes.Cites Snapchat, Youtube, Yahoo projects.

What he should have done was cite Indy vs Houston and Jets vs. Cards. You can't *consistenly* have games like that in prime time and expect casual fans stay on the channel.

Prime time games have been garbage, why is this a question? They set the schedule based on prior performance and have a bunch of garbage teams like the Colts. You want anyone other than hometown fans to watch the games, make the matchups compelling.

yeah.

Having a lot of garbage primetime games, trying to cater to past performance and big markets has blown up in their face.... Especially with some good 2015 teams taking a nose-dive or just not looking inspiring this year...

Then you have the NFL basically force-feeding one game at a time on people depending on region... which most of the time is not the best game, while keeping the Sunday Ticket at a laughable price point and exclusive on Direct TV.

Meanwhile, people are moving as a mass toward cutting the cord. Im sure folks are streaming whatever game they want to watch... instead of the same team(s) every week.

The NFL needs to figure out the next step in this revolution and get ahead of the curve. The other 3 major sports are actually ahead of the NFL at this point with their streaming apps and availability.

The NFL will blame anything and everything and ignore the real reason. Team owners are starting to make noise. The advertisers are not far behind.

Roger dug this hole and it'll be interesting to see if he does what needs to be done to correct it.

Doesn't much matter its become an unwatchable product for me. Severe lack of continuity with constant commercials.

@AroundTheNFL

Roger Goodell on dip in NFL's TV ratings: We don't make excuses http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000724083/article/goodell-addresses-tv-ratings-in-press-conference

CvJ8L1zUAAA_bW6.jpg

Standard BS from a guy that makes 32 million a year kissng the asses of billionaires. nothing too see here.

yeah.

Having a lot of garbage primetime games, trying to cater to past performance and big markets has blown up in their face.... Especially with some good 2015 teams taking a nose-dive or just not looking inspiring this year...

Then you have the NFL basically force-feeding one game at a time on people depending on region... which most of the time is not the best game, while keeping the Sunday Ticket at a laughable price point and exclusive on Direct TV.

Meanwhile, people are moving as a mass toward cutting the cord. Im sure folks are streaming whatever game they want to watch... instead of the same team(s) every week.

The NFL needs to figure out the next step in this revolution and get ahead of the curve. The other 3 major sports are actually ahead of the NFL at this point with their streaming apps and availability.

Exactly. I agree with the comment on force-feeding local games and keeping the price-point on a subscription service way too high. It's laughable how they don't seem to realize the internet exists. Now, I live out of the country so I purchase Gamepass every year to stream all the games I want in HD, but that's just because I'm a stickler for doing things a certain way, it would be so easy just to watch everything on kodi or a streaming website. The league's model is outdated. They should scrap DirectTv and just do Gamepass for everyone. If you don't want to blow $200 a season they could offer packages where you could follow 1 or 2 teams and they would pull in bank. The problem with the NFL is they are under the delusion that people need to come to them. They don't even pay the bands that they get to perform at the SuperBowl (https://www.upvenue.com/article/1881-do-artists-pay-to-perform-at-the-superbowl.html) and they reportedly went so far last year as to tell artists they had to pay the NFL for the exposure of performing.

As someone who absolutely loves the NFL, this season has been as bad of a season as I can remember. Too many commercials and penalties. Awful.

Hopefully, it will be the final nail in Goodell's coffin.

Agree. No game continuity for the reasons you mention. I'd add injuries to that too. I am enjoying College ball more than ever now. A much better product for the football purist...IMHO.