Rex Told Lynn That Lynn Would Be The Next Head Coach

birdo67

I realize that this is my first post ever, so it will be taken with an extra large grain of salt, and I completely understand that.

And I can't reveal my source, but this comes from someone with knowledge of the conversation -

During this most recent off-season, Lynn had been interviewing with other teams, looking to move up the offensive coaching ladder. Rex was aware of these interviews, and he called him in for a chat. He basically said, "Look, I'm not going to stop you from interviewing with other teams. But trust me, you want to stay here. This will be my last year, and the Pegulas love you. You're going to be the next Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills."

That wouldn't have made much sense at the time, but after the start to this season, and after Roman getting fired, it's starting to look a lot more likely. So why would Rex assume or even know this would be his last year? Did the Pegulas really give him that ultimatum that we heard about? Did Rex never plan to finish out his 5-year contract in the first place?

Maybe Rex will be fired during or after this season, maybe not. Maybe we'll get another big name coach to replace him, maybe not. But if Anthony Lynn is named the next Head Coach, whether it's interim or long-term, we'll know that Rex was ready for all of this months ago.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize that this is my first post ever, so it will be taken with an extra large grain of salt, and I completely understand that.

And I can't reveal my source, but this comes from someone with knowledge of the conversation -

During this most recent off-season, Lynn had been interviewing with other teams, looking to move up the offensive coaching ladder. Rex was aware of these interviews, and he called him in for a chat. He basically said, "Look, I'm not going to stop you from interviewing with other teams. But trust me, you want to stay here. This will be my last year, and the Pegulas love you. You're going to be the next Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills."

That wouldn't have made much sense at the time, but after the start to this season, and after Roman getting fired, it's starting to look a lot more likely. So why would Rex assume or even know this would be his last year? Did the Pegulas really give him that ultimatum that we heard about? Did Rex never plan to finish out his 5-year contract in the first place?

Maybe Rex will be fired during or after this season, maybe not. Maybe we'll get another big name coach to replace him, maybe not. But if Anthony Lynn is named the next Head Coach, whether it's interim or long-term, we'll know that Rex was ready for all of this months ago.

I mentioned that in one of my earlier posts. Not that I have any knowledge whatsoever of any conversation, but that is likely what would happen purely from a continuity standpoint.

The biggest hole in the story is that Rex would tell him that this would be Rex's last year with the Bills. No way he would admit that to anyone even one of his coaches even if he knew it to be true.

The second biggest hole is that Rex would tell the guy he would be the next head coach when (at the time) Lynn was just a lowly assistant. That would mean Rex would have known during the offseason that Roman was going to be gone and that Lynn would be successful when he stepped in to replace Roman. Rex didn't know that and still doesn't. I am quite sure at the time you claim this conversation happened, Rex still thought that this team was going to be very competitive. And if the team was more competitive , Roman wouldn't have been canned. Therefore the story is B.S.

I call bunk on the whole story. Total horse doo doo.

Edited by PolishDave

I believe it as much as some of the other theories around here

There was just something in Rex' demeanor during this past game that made me uncomfortable

I honestly dont know what it means....but i saw it

He said the interview took place during the off season, not this past week.

I know - rumor posts will always be missing some information, basically by definition. So I'm sorry to have posted yet another rumor here.

But it's always hard to know what's true with pro sports franchises, especially this one. Rex said that firing Roman was his call, but we hear differently from other sources.

There was no ultimatum...but there definitely was an ultimatum...only there wasn't.

We don't know who's hiring whom and who's firing whom. We don't know when or even if Rex and Roman fell off the same page.

I'm just starting to think that Rex already had an exit plan in mind after that first season. This season would affect whether and when that plan would need to be put into action. We're off to a bad start, so maybe the first button actually got pushed.

I know - rumor posts will always be missing some information, basically by definition. So I'm sorry to have posted yet another rumor here.

But it's always hard to know what's true with pro sports franchises, especially this one. Rex said that firing Roman was his call, but we hear differently from other sources.

There was no ultimatum...but there definitely was an ultimatum...only there wasn't.

We don't know who's hiring whom and who's firing whom. We don't know when or even if Rex and Roman fell off the same page.

I'm just starting to think that Rex already had an exit plan in mind after that first season. This season would affect whether and when that plan would need to be put into action. We're off to a bad start, so maybe the first button actually got pushed.

So you heard it all from a source but now in your second post your bouncing back and forth with what you think could possibly be happening and it just so falls in line what your source told you. If you had a solid source that knew what Rex said to Lynn then why would you be speculating on Rex's intentions if they were already declared!!? Someone get me a beer please!

So you heard it all from a source but now in your second post your bouncing back and forth with what you think could possibly be happening and it just so falls in line what your source told you. If you had a solid source that knew what Rex said to Lynn then why would you be speculating on Rex's intentions if they were already declared!!? Someone get me a beer please!

That's what I meant with my first line about missing info - I heard this from a reliable source, but I wasn't personally there for the conversation between the two, so I don't have all of the information. The rest of the post was to illustrate how this might be plausible in this screwy organization with a weird and ill-defined power structure and hierarchy.

That's what I meant with my first line about missing info - I heard this from a reliable source, but I wasn't personally there for the conversation between the two, so I don't have all of the information. The rest of the post was to illustrate how this might be plausible in this screwy organization with a weird and ill-defined power structure and hierarchy.

Seems to me that the it would be more believable just to speculate on the current situation than throw around the words source/conversation but hey if the majority of these journalists can do it so can you!