Here is the question.

MAJBobby

16 games from this QB. That is more than enough time to form an opinion on him.

Bill Walsh used to say you know what you have after 16 to 22 games

I suppose, but we don't have to make a decision for another 14 (at least!) games this season - I'm all for complete rampant speculation, but Magic 8-Ball still says "Ask Again Later."

As of Sunday did it seem like he's our "Franchise QB of the Future"? Nope. Might that change? Yup.

Especially because apparently even our Offensive didn't like the Offense! :beer:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the "real question" here is - Is the FO capable of selecting a QB when and if they see one? They passed on an opportunity to draft Paxton Lynch. Now I have no idea if he will pan out or not. I am in no way qualified to judge. But John Elway seems to think he has a future. He moved up to draft the kid. What did he see that Whaley and crew didn't? It isn't often that a kid like that falls to you and yet the Bills FO passed - to draft a DL with a bum shoulder who will miss at least half the season if not more... Did Whaley draft the guy that Rex wanted over what might have been better for the long term future of the team?

I'm going to give tyrod a small break what I mean is this, I going to say Roman didn't develop him adequately but any quarterback has to be able to do the basic like being able to read a defense and using the whole field so I'll hold criticism until later in the season

I'm going to give tyrod a small break what I mean is this, I going to say Roman didn't develop him adequately but any quarterback has to be able to do the basic like being able to read a defense and using the whole field so I'll hold criticism until later in the season

How hard is it to look at Watkins and how he is being covered?

He doesn't do it and Roman seemed happy with that as he gave the orders.

So first decision has been made to try and help our embattled QB. Everyone should understand the decision to fire Roman has everything to do with 2 financial decisions the Bills have coming up. First, To pay Taylor 27M next year and Second, to pick up Sammy's 5th year option in April.

So Bills fans here is the questions.

If season ended today would you pick up Taylors option Yes or No and Why?

If No what do you need to see from him to change your opinion going forward?

I likely will ask these same questions around mid season as well.

So I will start.

No I would not pick up his option, because there hasnt been a hint of progression in the areas he lacked all last year.

Anticipation throws. What I mean by that is if Sammy has a dig and your read is to throw that Dig that ball should be out before player comes out of his break and to a window, not waiting for the player to come out of break and see if it is open, then it is too late. The CB has time to recover.

2. Usage of the middle of the field. He has made any route in the middle of the field absolutely useless. That includes essentially turning our duel threat TE into a 7M a year blocking TE.

3. To a lesser extent (because i cannot put all the blame on him yet) presnap reads. Reason i cannot put all the blame on him about this yet because i dont know what Roman said he can and cant do at the line.

4. Needs to fix the new problem that popped up his short route accuracy. He seems he is trying to aim these routes. The problem with a short route is they are specifically for YAC, well cant get that with inaccurate passss. Defense gets time to react and recover

5. Ghost pressure. Over past two weeks Taylor has been reacting to alot of ghost pressure instead of hanging in there and delivering the ball.

Now the areas he needs to improve on before i am handing him a 27M check are the 1st two. I can handle the ghost pressure (all QBs see it sometimes) and the short pass inaccuracy right now because those are out of the norm for him.

Also giving him a pass on 3 right now because i can only think that was part of the reason Roman was fired. However will be watching this closely next couple weeks because this may turn into a must fix as well because this issue was present last year as well.

So there you have it what I see Taylor needs to improve on to earn his 27M and wheh i say improve i mean alot at this point because all offseason that is all i read out of the OBD spin machine is how these areas are no longer an issue.

Macbobby, I appreciate your post. You obviously put a lot of time into it. Where and what makes you think we got rid of Roman to keep and or resign Taylor/Watkins? That premise just doesn't really make sense to me. Maybe, I am missing something.

Macbobby, I appreciate your post. You obviously put a lot of time into it. Where and what makes you think we got rid of Roman to keep and or resign Taylor/Watkins? That premise just doesn't really make sense to me. Maybe, I am missing something.

Reason i say that is because there will be two Major financial decisions that need to be made in the offseason.

And obviously with Roman the power to be thought they were not going to see the offense they needed to see tk make those decisions.

I think to a lesser extent is Sammy because i think it is a no brainer with him.

However picking up the 27M with Taylor is a little bit more tricky so an offense cant hide him and then have the decision makers decide whag to do with him.

If season ended today would you pick up Taylors option Yes or No and Why?

Excellent post, MAJBobby. You pretty much nailed it. To this point the progress has been Trent Edwards-like.........as in it looked improved in shorts in OTA's but not evident in pads.

If tyrod plays like last year (which i dont think is THAT different than this year).... we likely finish middle of the pack.

I think i am still tempted to pick it up and think of it as 2 years at 20m per and if he steps up, great, if not -- your only marginally overpaying compared to other questionable vet starters. that said, id want to see health and that he could at least be counted on to be on the field as a floor, and hope that he gets a bit better. whoever we draft in the teens is a project anyway -- so no need to rush that guy.

Sammy seems an obvious option to pick up though

I think you are right about picking up the option.

It's not like you will be tripping over another $20M per year passer in those two years.......if you find a better one, he will be cheap and under control until Tyrod's deal is up.

And there is always that chance that Tyrod could improve over that time. Fitz looked like he'd reached his ceiling due to modest arm strength and somehow he improved.

Yeah Sammy is an obvious pickup........it's a little like Tyrod.......you aren't going to get anywhere near one of those in FA that doesn't have health/suspension issues either......plus, you know him.

Reason i say that is because there will be two Major financial decisions that need to be made in the offseason.

And obviously with Roman the power to be thought they were not going to see the offense they needed to see tk make those decisions.

I think to a lesser extent is Sammy because i think it is a no brainer with him.

However picking up the 27M with Taylor is a little bit more tricky so an offense cant hide him and then have the decision makers decide whag to do with him.

I'm not sure if that was part of the decision making process but you are spot on noting that it at least should have been.

Roman's style was keeping Tyrod close to the vest and you can't find out if he's got IT until he gets off the tit.

It had become counterproductive........which might have also been the case in SF with Kaep.

(That said.......if Rex was fielding a *dominant* defense as planned then we are 2-0 and Roman is free to steer Tyrod all season)

No QB is going to be able to advance when he consistently gets the playcall with 15 seconds left and can't get a look at the D and doesn't have the time or freedom to audible.

The obvious concern is that Lynn will be in over his head. If so, it can get real ugly. There was a high floor with Roman as OC.....it can get a lot worse.

No I wouldnt. I dont understand the need to have that contract on the table before the season started. Personally I think Tyrod's options if he didnt sign with the Bills after this season we're extremely limited. Who would sign him for big money? These are teams I would have a no; Pats, Dolphins, Steelers, Bengals, Ravens, Browns(they will draft one), Jags, Colts, Titans, Texans, Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders, Broncos(they have Lynch too), In the NFC no's----Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, Falcons, Saints, Tampa, Panthers, Packers, Lions, Vikings, Seahawks, Cardinals, Rams. So the possiblities could be Redskins(do they move on from Cousins?, Jets(but I dont see it), 49ers maybe.....Plus does Tyrod want to start again with a new team? Seems like we were bidding against ourselves to me. Not like the Jets are paying Fitzy 18 million. I just think Tyrods options and leverage going into the offseason in 2017 are limited, especially when you factor in 3 or more QBs going into the first round next year.

Watch Carson Wentz then watch Tyrod.

Let's hit the draft.

I couldn't agree more watching Wentz. That was really impressive. He was in total command and remained very poised in the pocket. Hitting his receivers with pressure in his face. His ability to scramble and run. He seemed to have it. Only a two game sample but the Eagles have to be so excited. Ram fans have to be feeling sck to their stomach. I can't say I ever felt that way about EJ. I think TT has some great qualities but my unprofessional eye says he's not a franchise QB...

I suppose, but we don't have to make a decision for another 14 (at least!) games this season - I'm all for complete rampant speculation, but Magic 8-Ball still says "Ask Again Later."

As of Sunday did it seem like he's our "Franchise QB of the Future"? Nope. Might that change? Yup.

Especially because apparently even our Offensive didn't like the Offense! :beer:

Exactly. Why answer that question now, other than to prop up this particular thread?

I don't think it's fair to consider picking up or not picking up TT's option- but a definite YES for picking up Sammy's... Sammy's 5th year option is reasonable... TT's could cost the club up to 30 mil over the next two years if he isn't the answer... I think these are very fair questions to ask at seasons end, but I don't see why anybody wouldn't want to pick up Sammy's option though, even if it's a bandaid at the position for one year... Hard to replace your starting QB and WR in one offseason/draft

Totally agree with this assessment. I would not pick up TT. I would pick up Watkins, and get an actual No.2 WR to pair with him. You can even draft one (Will Fuller type). Or, I don't know, throw to Charles Clay.

Totally agree with this assessment. I would not pick up TT. I would pick up Watkins, and get an actual No.2 WR to pair with him. You can even draft one (Will Fuller type). Or, I don't know, throw to Charles Clay.

I would like to throw to the Open Robert Woods as well Why go get another WR early in the draft if we don't use the ones we got.

agreed. And isn't Reich the OC in Philly?

Yes he is the token OC. Pederson runs that offense. Think Curtis Modkins and Chan Gailey