Is Gilmore really worth the money?

Niagara Dude

For the first 4 years, he has. I know it's popular to **** on him but he's a damn good corner. The idea is to neutralise the opponent, he's proven that he can do that on many occasions.

If you're asking me to defend Thursday night, not a chance. I've ripped into him when I wrote the game up, I called him sloppy and lazy. That doesn't change the player he is though.

So why pay a sloppy & sometimes lazy corner elite level money? Do you hear fans or media call Patrick Peterson lazy? If he were asking for 7-8 millon then ok and pay him but 12-14 mill is not happening for what he produces on the field.

We are too thin at other positions to waste that much dough on a corner that takes plays off.

Thursday night both Darby & Gilmore were beat bad on several occasions. That does not excuse the lack of defensive scheming and lack of a pass rush and the safeties being caught out of position and not in position to take away deep passes between the numbers.

A agree, but Fitzs was getting the ball out quick. Corners or least the great ones will make a play of two in those situations.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, because he's a pu$$y that can't be counted on to give maximum effort in his obvious "self-preservation" mode. Protecting himself for a big contract is more important than selling out and helping his team.

GO BILLS!!!

So why pay a sloppy & sometimes lazy corner elite level money? Do you hear fans or media call Patrick Peterson lazy? If he were asking for 7-8 millon then ok and pay him but 12-14 mill is not happening for what he produces on the field.

We are too thin at other positions to waste that much dough on a corner that takes plays off.

Because it was one game. I don't know the reasons behind it. If it's a trend that continues, I'll reconsider my position.

For now, Thursday was an aberration.

Because it was one game. I don't know the reasons behind it. If it's a trend that continues, I'll reconsider my position.

For now, Thursday was an aberration.

Right and these type of medicore performances continue then perhaps no team will be interested. I just need to see more big plays and this includes knocking down passes and tackles for losses. Yes a few interceptions are required if you expect big money.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Are you talking about the bubble screen where more effort could have resulted in tackle behind the line or no gain?

I don't remember if it was a bubble screen but it was 3rd down, I think 7 to go, and Gilmore had a chance to square up on the ball carrier and tackle him well behind. If he wasn't able to make the tackle it still would have held the carrier up long enough for help to arrive. Gilmore didn't want to stick his head in there. It was the first drive of the game.

Why? Because we have a replacement on the roster, we will draft another one high, or we will re-sign him...

He just isn't a player that will be missed.

I doubt they pay him what's he's looking for if he plays like he did Thursday the rest of the year.

But then again maybe everyone should get some what of pass on defense this year considering the scheme/coaches.

Gilmore's scheme is simple enough...

Yes. You don't judge him solely on that game. You judge him on his entire body of work. The career is worth top dollar pay.

He's good at times and has lapses at others. He's been a notoriously slow starter every year. It usually takes him until week 8 to hit his stride for some reason. He'll get burnt deep occasionally, but all CB's do from time to time. He has trouble against the more physical WR's as seen in his last start. He also has had his issues with the smaller, quicker guys at times. He's also fragile. He by no means is elite, but I would probably put him in the 2nd tier. The money he's making this year on his option is about right. I wouldn't offer any more than 12 mill per. If he walks, he walks. If the franchise tag is about the same as this year then I'd be all for it.

No especially not in Buffalo. The Bills are no where near having a playoff caliber team year in and year out. Why is that? Because they don't have a QB that is really good at passing the football. Until you have that piece in place there is no point in handing out big $$$ contracts to any defensive player. They make almost no difference in win replacement value.

When a Gilmore or for that matter a Dareus miss a game the betting line for a Bills game doesn't move at all. This team needs to bottom out and find that guy that can sling the rock, then begin to worry about signing the pieces around him.

This. Good teams make tough decisions and let good players walk.

The philosophy supposedly was to draft a corner every year. There will be another good one next year.

If this post was made after any week but this one, I think the majority of people would say Yes. My only sticking point in the past is his injury history. Plus, having Darby allows us some room to let him go and draft a replacement.

We have the money. He's elite. So unless we see a repeat performance of last week for the rest of this season, my answer is still yes