How is Watkins?

gjv001

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember when Spiller was our best RB and best return man? I was at "The Oil Can" when he returned one 100 yards. I will never get the hatred for Spiller.

But back on topic ... If potential was a stat, Watkins would be the best in the league. Turns out that potential is not a stat and he's just an injury prone, loud mouth, punk ass baby who's never on the field.

Trade his ass, I say.

The protesters are destroying their neighborhood / businesses. Here in Baltimore it was the rioters own neighborhoods they were destroying and mainly Asian businesses (in those areas) were SPECIFICALLY targeted. It also undermines any peaceful protests and rational arguments being done/made; the rioting on TV provides plenty of people with agendas with ALOT of ammunition. Rioters are a very small percentage of the Black population-- but they are by far the most visible in terms of news coverage. It's a bad look for legitimate grievances.

I won't answer any more questions without a lawyer.

After Sunday Sammy Watkins may be the #2 behind Robert Woods. Woods for 3 TDs.

IMO

: )

Thanks for elaborating I appreciate that.

I'm not Bill and I don't think I'd use that terminology. But I'll tell you what I get from it.

In St Louis (Ferguson), what happened is the riots looted, burnt and destroyed a very nice little main street of small businesses, mostly minority-owned, the dreams of some hardworking (mostly black) people who started out with little and built up. Not only did rioting (mostly) blacks hurt other (mostly) blacks whose businesses served and employed the neighborhoods and brought in tax revenue to the community, but the images of looting and destruction in the media drowned out the message that protesters were trying to convey. "Hands Up Don't Shoot" angst at racially biased policing became transformed to "Pants Up Don't Loot!" angst about lawless behavior in the minds of Joan and Joe Q Public.

I am told (by a police officer), but have not independently verified, that the crime rate for theft and robbery plummeted in north St Louis during the protests/looting/arson which suggests that perhaps the looters were not protesters driven amok by angst at social injustice and lack of opportunities, but rather people normally making a living as petty criminals who took advantage of tension and unrest to dive in behind the protesters and score some good sh*t to fence.

That would be sweet. Then would Sammy say "I'm number 2, I'll work harder?"

Thanks Hap. That all makes sense to me. Glad you took the time !

This has gotten a little off topic

I would shut Sammy Down and activate Powell and roll with it.....

Try to push past the investment we made in Sammy....that is done....try to get him healthy and dominant....he is NOT going to be that if he has to pull himself out of games at crucial times because of the foot.

Powell is fast, healthy, and looked good in pre season.

Remember when Spiller was our best RB and best return man? I was at "The Oil Can" when he returned one 100 yards. I will never get the hatred for Spiller.

But back on topic ... If potential was a stat, Watkins would be the best in the league. Turns out that potential is not a stat and he's just an injury prone, loud mouth, punk ass baby who's never on the field.

Trade his ass, I say.

Watkins has had a few injuries. That sucks. He hardly could be described as a loud mouth , doesn't seem to be the slightest bit "punk ass" . If you ever hear his interviews he seems very much a team player . He hasn't missed very many games either. He's toughed it out and played through his injuries.

Watkins has had a few injuries. That sucks. He hardly could be described as a loud mouth , doesn't seem to be the slightest bit "punk ass" . If you ever hear his interviews he seems very much a team player . He hasn't missed very many games either. He's toughed it out and played through his injuries.

Trade his ass, I say.

Go back and take a look at how many games Watkins has actually missed.

Not living up to potential? At this point I agree with that.....but he plays through injury

Good thing you don't wear cleats !

Or do you ?

I find it hard to describe Sammy as injury prone. I think it gets overdramatized because of his status.

He's had a couple nagging type injuries that tend to linger. Doesn't make him injury - prone though, I agree . His status always seems up in the air - could be the Coaching staff being a little vague a la Belichick . He doesn't miss many games, but some fans see him on the injury report so it fits their narrative that he's " never" on the field . Reality says otherwise .

Trade his ass, I say.

Why do fans allow their emotions to overrun rationality, common sense, and stiatistics?

Watkins has missed 3 games as of this week, same as AJ Green did, Julio Jones, less than OBJ, etc.

How does Watkins injury rate compare to other WR? It's a pretty oft-injured position

I haven't heard him say much except calling for more targets and saying Woods should get targeted more 'cuz he's open every play.

But hey don't let me interfere with your emotion-driven narrative

Why do fans allow their emotions to overrun rationality, common sense, and stiatistics?

Watkins has missed 3 games as of this week, same as AJ Green did, Julio Jones, less than OBJ, etc.

How does Watkins injury rate compare to other WR? It's a pretty oft-injured position

I haven't heard him say much except calling for more targets and saying Woods should get targeted more 'cuz he's open every play.

Logic, strong reasoning, and comparative analysis. Stop that!

ok. Can't argue how many games he has missed. But you can argue his participation in games. Some will say it's the play calling, some will say the QB can't get him the ball. Others can argue that he's not 100% and is being used as nothing more than a decoy while on the field. That he's not up to game speed. That he's not ready for the hits. If he wasn't off the field the last 3-4 drives against the Jets, you would have a stinger argument. But with the game on the line and a need for something to happen on offense he was no where near the field.

How often has AJ, Julio and OBJ been at 100% and how often has Sammy been limited and often times extrememly so. I can't recall a string of games where is was at 100%. He is missing the intagible asset of avoiding injury that seperates good players from great players.

How often has AJ, Julio and OBJ been at 100% and how often has Sammy been limited and often times extrememly so. I can't recall a string of games where is was at 100%. He is missing the intagible asset of avoiding injury that seperates good players from great players.

Avoiding injury is more a factor of luck than anything else. I seem to remember a string of 7 games last season where he played pretty damn well and around what his potential seems to be. I don't care if he was 100% while doing it. Most NFL players aren't

Putting Watkins in the same sentence as Green, Jones and Beckham Jr., feels more silly as I'm doing it than it felt when I read your post.

They are all in a different league.

And yes .. he is a punk ass.

Demanding more targets while he's on the sidelines. His "little jobs" comment. Threw EJ under the bus in his rookie season.

He's the least open receiver on the team and has been. He can't beat anyone off the ball. He won't go over the middle. He can't take a hit. And he gets injured thinking about taking one.

But don't let my facts interfere with your blind love.

I've said it all along and I'll say it again ... Robert Woods is the best WR on this team.

Edited by Gugny

Avoiding injury is more a factor of luck than anything else. I seem to remember a string of 7 games last season where he played pretty damn well and around what his potential seems to be. I don't care if he was 100% while doing it. Most NFL players aren't

I like this post.

Because we are losing and our QB is having trouble getting him the ball right now, folks feel like a good bashing is deserved.

I am not going to deny the reports that he is dinged up.

But every week I read about players. plenty of them being out. Look at Green bay this week against the Lions for example.

Honestly, just throw him the ball.

How often has AJ, Julio and OBJ been at 100% and how often has Sammy been limited and often times extrememly so.

Well, we know at times he hasn't wound up with the ball. What's hard to know is why. As to the former question, can't answer - have not found archive of injury reports and in any case, injury report may not reflect game day behavior.

ok. Can't argue how many games he has missed. But you can argue his participation in games.

Been there, done that, made the post. My comparator receiver was Bengals AJ Green because: 1) 1st round draft choice, #4 overall 2) consistent top-10 performer for last 5 years, 5 consecutive >1000 yd seasons - most pundits seem to believe he has added fair value to the team for his draft position 3) has a QB most would call "second tier" throwing to him in a meh offense, so it's not just that the offense is a juggernaut or the QB "all world" 4) the Bengals were where we want to be in 12 wins, playoffs last year.

Sammy has similar yds/game (80.5 vs 81), catch percentage (63% vs 65%), and higher yards/reception (17.5 vs 15.1 ypc) but gets 1.5 (1-2) fewer targets per game, quite possibly because the Bills threw less (29 vs 31 passes per game). So based on that, I would conclude his participation in games can't be too shabby or he wouldn't spec out so closely to Green.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Been there, done that, made the post. My comparator receiver was Bengals AJ Green because: 1) 1st round draft choice, #4 overall 2) consistent top-10 performer for last 5 years, 5 consecutive >1000 yd seasons - most pundits seem to believe he has added fair value to the team for his draft position 3) has a QB most would call "second tier" throwing to him in a meh offense, so it's not just that the offense is a juggernaut or the QB "all world" 4) the Bengals were where we want to be in 12 wins, playoffs last year.

Sammy has similar yds/game (80.5 vs 81), catch percentage (63% vs 65%), and higher yards/reception (17.5 vs 15.1 ypc) but gets 1.5 (1-2) fewer targets per game, quite possibly because the Bills threw less (29 vs 31 passes per game). So based on that, I would conclude his participation in games can't be too shabby or he wouldn't spec out so closely to Green.

just because Sammy is in the field or is receiving targets, it doesn't make him 100% or even included in good participation.

I think the biggest issue with everything you wrote is the fact that even though Sammys numbers are "close to Green" they are miles apart in actual statistics. That's why stays don't always tell the whole story. Sammy wishes he could have 5 straight 1,000 yard seasons.

The 2 really aren't even close. 1 WR is a gamer and takes over games and the other is one that misses 4 straight drives when the game is on the line.

just because Sammy is in the field or is receiving targets, it doesn't make him 100% or even included in good participation.

I think the biggest issue with everything you wrote is the fact that even though Sammys numbers are "close to Green" they are miles apart in actual statistics. That's why stays don't always tell the whole story. Sammy wishes he could have 5 straight 1,000 yard seasons.

The 2 really aren't even close. 1 WR is a gamer and takes over games and the other is one that misses 4 straight drives when the game is on the line.

I wouldn't argue that Watkins is not close to Green at this point in his career. I think he's got that kind of talent and ability, but has been slowed by some injuries and played with below average QBs . These things have conspired to contribute to his not reaching that potential. If you are referring to the end of the Jets game, I didn't even remotely think the game was on the line when Watkins was not out there at the end ( was it 4 possessions ? I don't know. ) I know that the Bills were behind two TDs with around two minutes left and that they haven't executed a successful onside kick in forever and have zero faith that they could have. In fact, I though if SW is out there , take him out. It's not worth the risk of injury when this game is likely 99.9% over. It's hard to be realistic as a Bills fan, but sometimes you have to be. The only kicker they have that can do a halfway ok onside kick was inactive. If it was say, the Pats and they were down by 2 TDs and would need an onside kick, I say they'd likely get it. Just being realistic.

But no, Watkins is not even close to Green right now. He is the best the Bills have, however.

I wouldn't argue that Watkins is not close to Green at this point in his career. I think he's got that kind of talent and ability, but has been slowed by some injuries and played with below average QBs . These things have conspired to contribute to his not reaching that potential. If you are referring to the end of the Jets game, I didn't even remotely think the game was on the line when Watkins was not out there at the end ( was it 4 possessions ? I don't know. ) I know that the Bills were behind two TDs with around two minutes left and that they haven't executed a successful onside kick in forever and have zero faith that they could have. In fact, I though if SW is out there , take him out. It's not worth the risk of injury when this game is likely 99.9% over. It's hard to be realistic as a Bills fan, but sometimes you have to be. The only kicker they have that can do a halfway ok onside kick was inactive. If it was say, the Pats and they were down by 2 TDs and would need an onside kick, I say they'd likely get it. Just being realistic.

But no, Watkins is not even close to Green right now. He is the best the Bills have, however.

Calvin Johnson never had a good QB and he reached his potential. Same with Eric Moulds, for that matter.

Jesus Harold Christ ... how many excuses have Bills fans been making for the past 17 !@#$ing years?

It's the line.

It's the coaching.

It's the play calling.

The schedules are unfair.

Other teams cheat.

It's the refs.

How about this ... the players !@#$ing suck and that's why this team never gets to the playoffs.

Edited by Gugny