Anthony Lynn, new OC

I'm surprised nobody's started an A-Lynn thread so I will. G-Ro is history. I'm interested in the future and A-Lynn is the future.

Some of the players seem to have confidence in him. I don't know if anyone outside of OBD knows much about his offensive philosophy but SB Nation pretends to:

Lynn is likely committed to showing Ryan that Ryan might still be Jets coach, that Ryan might not be 8-10 now in Buffalo if he’d given Lynn this shot much earlier. Lynn’s philosophy – a run-centric offense that plays physical in style and piercing in the passing game – is as Ryan-hat-hanging as it gets.

Here are some things that will happen with this Buffalo offense under Lynn’s direction:

• There will be an emphasis on remaining on schedule in drives. That means more offensive play calls complementing each other. More emphasis on reaching third-and-short situations.
  • There will be a patience and insistence on running the football. He will not abandon the running game just because a play or two loses a yard or only gains a yard. The pounding will be constant.
  • The offensive players will respond to him. Lynn will be clear, precise and demanding. Not only does he speak their language, but he also stirs their passion. Expect a bolder, more confident Buffalo offense.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/16/12948416/rex-ryan-bills-hot-seat-fired-greg-roman-anthony-lynn-offensive-coordinator

Edited by hondo in seattle

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised nobody's started an A-Lynn thread so I will. G-Ro is history. I'm interested in the future and A-Lynn is the future.

Some of the players seem to have confidence in him. I don't know if anyone outside of OBD knows much about his offensive philosophy but SB Nation pretends to:

Lynn is likely committed to showing Ryan that Ryan might still be Jets coach, that Ryan might not be 8-10 now in Buffalo if he’d given Lynn this shot much earlier. Lynn’s philosophy – a run-centric offense that plays physical in style and piercing in the passing game – is as Ryan-hat-hanging as it gets.

Here are some things that will happen with this Buffalo offense under Lynn’s direction:

• There will be an emphasis on remaining on schedule in drives. That means more offensive play calls complementing each other. More emphasis on reaching third-and-short situations.
  • There will be a patience and insistence on running the football. He will not abandon the running game just because a play or two loses a yard or only gains a yard. The pounding will be constant.
  • The offensive players will respond to him. Lynn will be clear, precise and demanding. Not only does he speak their language, but he also stirs their passion. Expect a bolder, more confident Buffalo offense.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/16/12948416/rex-ryan-bills-hot-seat-fired-greg-roman-anthony-lynn-offensive-coordinator

McCoy and Bush would just love the pounding aspect.

Seriously, unless they plan to play MG and JW a lot they aren't likely to see much success pounding the football inside.

And if pounding the ball is the gameplan against Arizona...........they better have a backup plan because they can spread you out and without the personnel to stop it the Bills are probably going to need a bunch of points from the passing game.

Does it matter?

This seasons !@#$ed.

Starting off 0-2 makes the playoffs unlikely - again.

But Roman had enough flaws as an OC that I'm not convinced Lynn won't be an upgrade. Obviously Rex thinks he will be. We'll see.

And they know this because?? He has called as many NFL plays as I have so who knows what's going to happen

Exactly right.

When Lynn was interviewing for HC positions, Ryan had this to say:

"Being a former player, he's got Super Bowl rings as a player... He's smart. He's been with me now for seven years. So he's a great football coach. And the other thing is, he's got the respect of all the players. I've seen him work with veteran players, young players. It makes no difference."

"He had [LaDainian Tomlinson] at the end of his career, and L.T. was pass blocking better than he ever had and took a lesser role -- and here's a first-ballot Hall of Fame back. So this guy can coach them all. He can coach the special players, the guys that are hanging on type players, developing players, he can coach them all and he's great for our team. But if he gets that opportunity to become a head coach, that would be awesome."

http://sfo.247sports.com/Bolt/San-Francisco-49ers-coach-candidate-profile-Anthony-Lynn-42574208

Something I took away from the press conference that Ryan said repeatedly is that "We are going to get the ball into the hands of our playmakers more". Sounded like he was not a fan of how underutilized our offensive weapons are being used, and I can't blame him.

There have been too many times in games where the offense has been just totally ineffective in games for long long stretches of time...ineffective like gaining 50 yards in a half and 2 first downs ineffective...Tennessee, New England, Giants, Redskins, Eagles, Cowboys last year...both games this year..I'm sure there were others last year I'm forgetting about.

Something had to give. Too lacksadaisical getting plays in. Terrible on drives within the final 5 minutes of halves and games. No sense of urgency. Lots of feast or famine type drives. It's not something you can consistently win with. Sure, big plays will win you your share of games, but when you go 3 and out a bunch of times in between, it's not good. Most of the games we won last year we jumped out to a good size lead and went wire to wire...for the most part. Some gaems were back and forth, like Tennessee and Houston, but for the most part we cruised in a lot of those games.

He's had success as a RB coach. From the BN:

Everywhere Lynn has coached running backs, his teams have had success on the ground. Consider this: He’s either coached a 1,000-yard rusher or a team that combined to rush for over 2,000 yards in 12 of the last 13 seasons. That includes work with running backs like Fred Taylor, Julius Jones, Jamal Lewis, Shonn Greene, and, last season, LeSean McCoy.

Additionally, in the last three seasons, Lynn’s teams have finished sixth, third and first in total rushing yards.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/09/16/five-things-know-new-bills-offensive-coordinator-anthony-lynn/

Apparently was well respected by Jets players:

Assistant coaches on the staff of recently terminated head coaches are rarely in the running for a head coaching position but given Lynn's success and longevity (he has been coaching in the league since 2000), it all makes him an intriguing candidate for the Jets. He's well respected in the locker room among the players and the rest of the staff, with one team source saying that “Lynn carries himself like a future head coach.”

http://www.metro.us/new-york/anthony-lynn-to-get-in-house-interview-for-jets-head-coach-job/zsJnlD---eShMArRsu3q32/

I suspect that Bush may be released when JWill is ready to roll, and Lynn will use the duo of Gillislee and Williams to compliment Shady. There is no reason for Bush to be on this roster, IMO.

To respond to the OP, I think it will be interesting to watch the offense evolve under Lynn. Seems like folks here are writing him off already because he has never been an OC or called plays before. I don't necessarily think he is under qualified, as he has been an offensive coach in this league for a long time and has worked under some great offensive minds. Let's see the product on the field before we dismiss him. After all, the guy was respected enough around the league to get some HC interviews.

Perhaps AL will get things moving. Perhaps he becomes the next coach. Perhaps Bills win 10 of the next 14. Perhaps.....we need to wait and see.

Something I took away from the press conference that Ryan said repeatedly is that "We are going to get the ball into the hands of our playmakers more". Sounded like he was not a fan of how underutilized our offensive weapons are being used, and I can't blame him.

There have been too many times in games where the offense has been just totally ineffective in games for long long stretches of time...ineffective like gaining 50 yards in a half and 2 first downs ineffective...Tennessee, New England, Giants, Redskins, Eagles, Cowboys last year...both games this year..I'm sure there were others last year I'm forgetting about.

Something had to give. Too lacksadaisical getting plays in. Terrible on drives within the final 5 minutes of halves and games. No sense of urgency. Lots of feast or famine type drives. It's not something you can consistently win with. Sure, big plays will win you your share of games, but when you go 3 and out a bunch of times in between, it's not good. Most of the games we won last year we jumped out to a good size lead and went wire to wire...for the most part. Some gaems were back and forth, like Tennessee and Houston, but for the most part we cruised in a lot of those games.

.This^ along with the apparent riff between Rex and Greg shown by Greg supposedly saying that Rex was a Bozo or something along those lines. If TT has more time after the huddle to examine the D then we will se an improvement...IMHO

I suspect that Bush may be released when JWill is ready to roll, and Lynn will use the duo of Gillislee and Williams to compliment Shady. There is no reason for Bush to be on this roster, IMO.

To respond to the OP, I think it will be interesting to watch the offense evolve under Lynn. Seems like folks here are writing him off already because he has never been an OC or called plays before. I don't necessarily think he is under qualified, as he has been an offensive coach in this league for a long time and has worked under some great offensive minds. Let's see the product on the field before we dismiss him. After all, the guy was respected enough around the league to get some HC interviews.

Is Bush like the Bush of old....Nope!