To be any good TT has to make plays with his legs

....lybob

I've mentioned in a few threads that I think to be any good TT has to make plays with his legs but I didn't get too much feed back - yes it will increases his chance of injury but as a strict drop back QB he is pretty mediocre and he's not going to generate too many wins - I'd like to see TT running for 1st downs 6-8 times a game but judging by the feedback not many agree.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Likely because that's not going to win in the NFL. The QB has to make plays from the pocket. If you don't, teams figure you out and you will get physically destroyed as a running QB. A la RG III. He had one great season, then teams took away his running and made him " be a quarterback" . We might be seeing the same thing with TT. It's up to him to prove he can be an NFL QB and beat you from the pocket, with the occasional run that will make D coordinators bang their head off a wall.

I've mentioned in a few threads that I think to be any good TT has to make plays with his legs but I didn't get too much feed back - yes it will increases his chance of injury but as a strict drop back QB he is pretty mediocre and he's not going to generate too many wins - I'd like to see TT running for 1st downs 6-8 times a game but judging by the feedback not many agree.

I agree and designed rollouts would be a good idea.

You need to make the defense play tentative against a QB like Tyrod and right now he is a stationary target in the pocket and teams are trying to make him throw from inside a phone booth.

This season isn't lost yet but assuming that it's another failure the biggest issue going forward is whether Tyrod will be the QB beyond this season. His contract makes it all but impossible to bring him back without paying franchise money long term.

And without him.........back to square one.

The number one job of an organization should be to try to maximize the performance of their QB position..........and for this reason I've been very disappointed with the lack of attention to the receiving corps this past offseason.

It's been discussed but even at the risk of wasting a pick they should take a run at Josh Gordon.

Woods is not a playmaker, Goodwin is fragile and a small target.......they really got nothing after Sammy and Sammy may shut it down soon leaving Tyrod with the worst wideout situation in the NFL.

I really dont like seeing Tyrod take off between the tackles the way he does upfield....that sandwich hit he took......I thought that concussion protocal thing was the right thing to do......it looked like he went limp for a second......

Roll him out towards the sidelines so he can use the step out of bounds to defend himself from D hits

Too bad we can't put Tyrod's skill in EJ's body. Cam Newton is EJ's size and he is able to run without getting hurt but I don't think Tyrod would be able to take that kind of beating and stay healthy. His running gets him out of trouble but he needs to progress as a pocket passer if he's going to have any kind of success in this league

Too bad we can't put Tyrod's skill in EJ's body. Cam Newton is EJ's size and he is able to run without getting hurt but I don't think Tyrod would be able to take that kind of beating and stay healthy. His running gets him out of trouble but he needs to progress as a pocket passer if he's going to have any kind of success in this league

Michael Vick was not a long term QB but brought wins for awhile maybe a couple of good seasons is all you can get from TT- personally I think you can win with running QBs but you need at least three on your team and you should probably have two more stashed on your practice squad.

As mentioned already, Taylor doesn't have the size to run much. Running needs to be a bonus feature for him, not a staple. There's also the matter his contract. The Bills need to know if he has the ability to be a pocket and designed roll out passer - and they only have this season to do that. So far, not so good on that.

Edited by BarleyNY

Nothing against the OP but this post infuriates me. Why the @#$% can't Taylor see the whole field and find a man open. In two weeks are you telling me that none of the receivers besides Watkins have been open. It's crap. Besides the obvious Flash burning of Revis I watched Taylor miss wide open guys in two games on more than one occasion. I like TT alot but until he figures out how to find a man when he has more than enough time to throw is a must. If not throw his ass on the pile of garbage with the rest of the never wases this team has trotted out there.

Edited by BeefCurtns

If you believe what they are saying, Roman was let go for not properly utilizing the talents of Tyrod and the elite offensive weapons on the offense. So I agree, his athleticism needs to be show-cased to keep defenses guessing.

I reckon we'll look good against the cards if for no other reason; there is no book out yet on our new OC.

GO BILLS.

We're still in the hunt ! Lol !

I think you are right about him making plays with his legs but not so much about him running for first downs 6-8 times a game.

The kinds of plays I want to see Tyrod make with his legs are scrambling to avoid a sack and buy an extra 2 seconds in the backfield so that he can find a receiver for those deep balls like we saw twice in the Jet's game. That is a rare talent that would make this team way, way, way better on offense if the offense was designed to include more of those plays.

And yes I want him scrambling for first downs too when the opportunity presents itself. But I don't need him to do that 6-8 times a game. once or twice a game is enough for me.

I think you are right about him making plays with his legs but not so much about him running for first downs 6-8 times a game.

The kinds of plays I want to see Tyrod make with his legs are scrambling to avoid a sack and buy an extra 2 seconds in the backfield so that he can find a receiver for those deep balls like we saw twice in the Jet's game. That is a rare talent that would make this team way, way, way better on offense if the offense was designed to include more of those plays.

And yes I want him scrambling for first downs too when the opportunity presents itself. But I don't need him to do that 6-8 times a game. once or twice a game is enough for me.

Very much this: ^^^

If your QB has to rely on his legs than you don't have a QB.