Here's the thing about this team that truly astonishes me:

I am wondering why Rex hasn't announced that he is taking over the offensive duties. He is the boss. If he fires a guy for lousy performance and wants to fix things, why doesn't he fix them? I have a strong suspicion that he knows (better than Roman did) how to get production from Tyrod. And he could easily have his bro running the defense.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since 2000, they have been utterly incapable of fielding ANYTHING that approaches an excellent or even merely good offense. In this day and age how is that possible? In that span they've fielded some solid to very good defenses, however. Is it a matter of being unable to scout offensive players? I'm at a loss to explain it, even internally. Anyone here got any insight I may be missing?

It astonishes me that it astonishes you... I've come to expect it, lol

Lol.... I don't get it either... I don't know what would happen if we ever had a team that contended every week

It's like that commercial with the passive aggressive work environment and somebody actually pays them a compliment and they don't know how to react

TSW just wouldn't know how to handle a successful team

3-4

Cover 2

3-4

4-3

3-4 hybrid

3-4 self-confusion

3-4 fully pregnant.

For the most part (not always), the offense has been the neglected child, addressed after the most current defensive scheme change is installed.

Add in some desperation no. 1 picks used on QB, rather than planning ahead..and a half finished OL..and you get what you get.

Last year's offense was the 2nd highest scoring offense this team has had since the drought,l tying the 2002 season.

But someone needed a scapegoat for the Fully Pregnant defense.

It's very, VERY, simple. Bad QBs and bad coaches. Nothing else really matters.

QB and coaches are the most vital part of the franchise but it's a trickle down effect. The GM selects the QB and coach and the owner selects the GM.

I can understand it being difficult to find a franchise QB, but with the carousel of coaches that have come and gone in the past two decades, you'd think the Bills would've somehow lucked into one good head coach by now.

Since 2000, they have been utterly incapable of fielding ANYTHING that approaches an excellent or even merely good offense. In this day and age how is that possible? In that span they've fielded some solid to very good defenses, however. Is it a matter of being unable to scout offensive players? I'm at a loss to explain it, even internally. Anyone here got any insight I may be missing?

We had a glimpse the year spiller was averaging like 6 a carry and fitz threw 24 tds... it was a small blip but it was there.

Well Fitz/Gailey/FJ were decent but of course the D was terrible.

I should have kept reading

I am wondering why Rex hasn't announced that he is taking over the offensive duties. He is the boss. If he fires a guy for lousy performance and wants to fix things, why doesn't he fix them? I have a strong suspicion that he knows (better than Roman did) how to get production from Tyrod. And he could easily have his bro running the defense.

who says he doesnt call the plays on both sides now? Isnt that what HC's do?

Rex has no idea about an offense. What just happened with firing Roman is exactly Rex MO. Fire OC, he has done it now like 4 times. Anything to take eyes off his failures

who says he doesnt call the plays on both sides now? Isnt that what HC's do?

No. Generally no they don't. That is what you have coordinators for. They call the majority of plays. Head coach makes certain decisions like 4th down go for it or not - one or two point conversion attempts - time out management - etc.

Rex has no idea about an offense. What just happened with firing Roman is exactly Rex MO. Fire OC, he has done it now like 4 times. Anything to take eyes off his failures

Well it seemed to me that Tyrod was Rex's guy. He was the one who was all excited about him - sitting at The Big Tree with Thurman Thomas reviewing tape on this new explosive player they were looking to bring in here. He was gung ho on Tyrod for a reason. He knows plenty about offense. If its his neck on the line, I would think he would want to make sure it gets done right.

:lol::thumbsup:

Lol.... I don't get it either... I don't know what would happen if we ever had a team that contended every week

it was the 90s and they were awesome

3-4

Cover 2

3-4

4-3

3-4 hybrid

3-4 self-confusion

3-4 fully pregnant.

For the most part (not always), the offense has been the neglected child, addressed after the most current defensive scheme change is installed.

Add in some desperation no. 1 picks used on QB, rather than planning ahead..and a half finished OL..and you get what you get.

Last year's offense was the 2nd highest scoring offense this team has had since the drought,l tying the 2002 season.

But someone needed a scapegoat for the Fully Pregnant defense.

Fitzpatrick delivered the baby even paid for Lamaze classes.

It's harder to build a good offense than a good defense. It requires a solid offensive line, which in and of itself is hard to build and hard to coach into a cohesive unit. Then you need skill players that the defense has to account for--receivers who can't easily be single covered. Then of course you need a QB, the most elusive piece of all. And on top of that, you need a smart offensive coordinator--it seems to me that offensive play design and play calling is more complex than defensive playcalling and design. I just don't think it's nearly as hard to build a solid defense--hell, even Rex did it once upon a time.

This organization has been massively incompetent for a decade and a half. Building a good offense is far beyond its capability, while there have been times that they have had a good coordinator who managed to cobble together a pretty strong defense for a year or two.

I mean good enough that you will never doubt their ability to put up 21 a week.

Top teams were routinely in the 30-35ppg range through each year. So it seems you are mostly right - middling or worse offenses for the last 16 years.

2016 23rd (19ppg)

2015 12th (23.7ppg)

2014 18th (21.4ppg)

2013 22nd (21.2ppg)

2012 21st (21.5ppg)

2011 14th (23.2ppg)

2010 28th (17.7ppg)

2009 28th (16.1ppg)

2008 23rd (21.0ppg)

2007 30th (15.8ppg)

2006 23rd (18.8ppg)

2005 24th (16.9ppg)

2004 7th (24.7ppg)

2003 30th (15.2ppg)

2002 11th (23.7ppg)

2001 27th (16.6ppg)

2000 20th (19.7ppg)

QB and coaches are the most vital part of the franchise but it's a trickle down effect. The GM selects the QB and coach and the owner selects the GM.

I can understand it being difficult to find a franchise QB, but with the carousel of coaches that have come and gone in the past two decades, you'd think the Bills would've somehow lucked into one good head coach by now.

Mularkey and Marrone both had seasons with winning records, the only ones since Wade Phillips second season in 1999, the last playoff season. The 2004 season under Mularkey saw the most dominant stretch of games we've ever seen, with 6 consecutive wins by 10 pts or more, Four of those were by 20 pts or more. Unfortunately that season will be remembered for the final game, which broke the streak with the loss to the Pittsburgh 2nd stringers, where a win would've put them in the playoffs.