Just got back from the game, in person observations

Virgil

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got home from the game and was hoping the 75 minute drive would calm me down, but nope...

The Fans

I didn't have a single fan say a word to me about being a Bills fan. The parking lot didn't really fill up until the last hour before the game and none of the tailgating was all that impressive. When watching the game, I only had to stand up 2 times the entire game. The fans were nice, but overall timid and nowhere near the atmosphere the Ralph generates.

Offensive Playcalling and Downfield

The Ravens played with 2 safeties deep most of the game. There were a few times they didn't, but you could tell they were trying to take away the pre-snap read to throw deep. No excuse to not take a single attempt, but it was noticeable moreso than other games.

Almost no spreading of the field with the WR's. Most of the formations had the 2 or 3 WR's on the same side of the field. It made it really easy for the defense to overload one side. That was probably the most noticeable thing to me. The Ravens were able to cutback on our defense with relative ease, while we would get shut down most of the time.

Defense

!@#$ you Dareus. You were incredibly missed up the middle. There was almost no push.

Penalties

The fans were laughing at us by the end. Every time there was a flag thrown, they would joke how they knew it had to be on the Bills. I couldn't say anything because they were right.

Things I think

• I didn't care at the time, but our offense clearly needed more time together in the preseason. They looked completely lost out there. There was no rhythm, unnecessary time outs, and Tyrod's lack of audibles to throw deep was disturbing
    • Roman deserves a lot of blame for the calls. There weren't a lot of players running free down field. The WR's were all running around on one side of the field. TT could have made changes, but the calls didn't set them up well for success.
    • Why did we sign Clay?
  • Every previous year, I could tell myself that the offense just needs to gel in this new system. This year, I got nothing. If this is 8 months of planning, I'm terrified to see what we do with 4 days.
  • This team was not prepared. Penalties, offensive intensity, time-outs, the review (next bullet)
  • Rex looked like a clown reviewing that td. I'm fine with him reviewing it if they thought he was in. I couldn't tell from my seats. But to take that long, show your next play, score, and then have the time-out negate it. THEN, run the same play again...I was embarrassed.
  • Why not more all out blitzes. The one with the all-out blitz, we almost had a pick-6.
  • Defense only gave up 13 points. That's the result. So I respect it. But, it wasn't the aggressive D I was expecting and don't know if other teams would have tore us up more. Baltimore won 5 games last year. Next week will be interesting.
  • Why the hell is Duke Williams ever covering anyone, let alone Mike Wallace? Unless there is a 5th WR on the field, it's Gilmore, Darby, Graham, Williams, then 5 guys, then Duke. It was bad from the snap and it was painful to watch live.
  • Tyrod looked as bad throwing on the run as I've seen him.
  • Offensive playcalling again - If this is what a healthy Woods, Watkins, and Clay gets us....DOOOOOMMMEEEDDDD!!!

I was honestly debating driving up for the game on Thursday and I just can't justify it. I am on the side where I believe that Palmer hit a wall and the Cards may take a step back. Even still, I can easily see us 0-3, 0-4 to start this season.

I started with the fans because it makes me sick to think about our fans. We deserve so much better.

I honestly wonder if this season ends with Roman as our HC.

I agree with most of your frustration, but just to touch on a couple topics....

It was Rex's replay coach's upstairs that challenged the TD. Rex got word it was a TD and threw the flag, not sure what they were looking at, unless there was another angle it wasn't going to be overturned. Rex will get the blame ultimately, but he was told to challenge. If someone runs up and says it's a TD, you throw that flag. Can only blame Rex for hiring the idiots who thought it was a TD.

He's a very good player, but this offense doesn't suit him and they overpaid if this is how they continue to use him. Of course it doesn't help that the line was so bad they had to keep him in to block most of the game.

Just got home from the game and was hoping the 75 minute drive would calm me down, but nope... (...)

Offensive Playcalling and Downfield

The Ravens played with 2 safeties deep most of the game. There were a few times they didn't, but you could tell they were trying to take away the pre-snap read to throw deep. No excuse to not take a single attempt, but it was noticeable moreso than other games.

Almost no spreading of the field with the WR's. Most of the formations had the 2 or 3 WR's on the same side of the field. It made it really easy for the defense to overload one side. That was probably the most noticeable thing to me. The Ravens were able to cutback on our defense with relative ease, while we would get shut down most of the time.

Penalties

The fans were laughing at us by the end. Every time there was a flag thrown, they would joke how they knew it had to be on the Bills. I couldn't say anything because they were right.

Things I think

• I didn't care at the time, but our offense clearly needed more time together in the preseason. They looked completely lost out there. There was no rhythm, unnecessary time outs, and Tyrod's lack of audibles to throw deep was disturbing
    • Roman deserves a lot of blame for the calls. There weren't a lot of players running free down field. The WR's were all running around on one side of the field. TT could have made changes, but the calls didn't set them up well for success.
    • Why did we sign Clay?
  • Every previous year, I could tell myself that the offense just needs to gel in this new system. This year, I got nothing. If this is 8 months of planning, I'm terrified to see what we do with 4 days.
  • This team was not prepared. Penalties, offensive intensity, time-outs, the review (next bullet)
  • Rex looked like a clown reviewing that td. I'm fine with him reviewing it if they thought he was in. I couldn't tell from my seats. But to take that long, show your next play, score, and then have the time-out negate it. THEN, run the same play again...I was embarrassed.
  • Why not more all out blitzes. The one with the all-out blitz, we almost had a pick-6.
  • Defense only gave up 13 points. That's the result. So I respect it. But, it wasn't the aggressive D I was expecting and don't know if other teams would have tore us up more. Baltimore won 5 games last year. Next week will be interesting.
  • Why the hell is Duke Williams ever covering anyone, let alone Mike Wallace? Unless there is a 5th WR on the field, it's Gilmore, Darby, Graham, Williams, then 5 guys, then Duke. It was bad from the snap and it was painful to watch live.
(..)

I honestly wonder if this season ends with Roman as our HC.

Thanks, FireChan. Some good stuff not available from watching on TV.

There's no question on my mind that this one's on the Offense. Any time your D keeps the other team under 20 points, it's on the Offense to score points and win. The missed FG was troubling, but wouldn't have been enough.

So that said, ending the season with Roman as our HC makes me quake. I don't think he's shown he can be a capable OC, much less a HC.

Three Q:

1) it seemed as if there were some holes our RB weren't seeing or trusting. What could you tell about that?

2) ditto pocket - that Tyrod sometimes had a pocket and wasn't seeing or trusting it. Was the pressure on TT as consistent or intense as it was made to seem, or was he making it worse than it was at times?

3) what about clock management overall? were the 3rd down timeouts good use?

Fans were pretty cool for the most part, had an idiot in front of us that was a bit over enthusiastic and you could tell each time he/she cheered it was kind of an in your face thing, but really pretty harmless. The Baltimore inner harbor is great and it was teeming with Buffalo fans, it was a great atmosphere. the tailgating had an overwhelming aroma of old bay which isn't a bad thing. Overall a very pleasant experience...but holy hell was it hot in the upper stands, thankfully the game wasn't saturday, pretty sure we would have all melted

it was night and day after halftime. I had just told you they were kitties. Got back and the alcohol must have kicked in. Jesus they were silly.

Not once was there a reason to stand and that bothers me about their fans, too

Thanks, FireChan. Some good stuff not available from watching on TV.

There's no question on my mind that this one's on the Offense. Any time your D keeps the other team under 20 points, it's on the Offense to score points and win. The missed FG was troubling, but wouldn't have been enough.

So that said, ending the season with Roman as our HC makes me quake. I don't think he's shown he can be a capable OC, much less a HC.

Three Q:

1) it seemed as if there were some holes our RB weren't seeing or trusting. What could you tell about that?

2) ditto pocket - that Tyrod sometimes had a pocket and wasn't seeing or trusting it. Was the pressure on TT as consistent or intense as it was made to seem, or was he making it worse than it was at times?

3) what about clock management overall? were the 3rd down timeouts good use?

what you saw on tv is what you got. That's why I'm on the coaches for the play calling and lack of adjustments.

So we missed Dareus ? The 13 points given up by the D is a thing ?

Guess we coulda held them to 10 or pitched a shutout somehow w Duke Williams on a football field.

That bullet struck me as odd too

I thought he was gonna say f you dareus we don't need you or something. Not that I agree necessarily. But I dont think his presence was missed yesterday.

I was really surprised to see Buffalo fans wearing gear on TV. I have been to a few games there, absolute worst fans in the league in my experience. Fans threw things at my Daughter, and I while we walked in between seats at the Stadium. Glad to hear you had a good experience.

Lol you ever wore a ravens jersey in buffalo? They wouldn't even let my man pass and he was a BILLS fan who happened to really like Ray Lewis. It was crazy. I told him we are not sitting in the Rockville again lol

That bullet struck me as odd too

I thought he was gonna say f you dareus we don't need you or something. Not that I agree necessarily. But I dont think his presence was missed yesterday.

Lol you ever wore a ravens jersey in buffalo? They wouldn't even let my man pass and he was a BILLS fan who happened to really like Ray Lewis. It was crazy. I told him we are not sitting in the Rockville again lol

I'm not saying that Dareus being gone cost us the game. I'm saying that the lack of push up the middle was noticeable.

I was there too. Tyrod was so off. Did you see everything he threw was high?

I want to see how he does Thursday. He never looked this bad last year.

Also 14 was wide open all game!

When you barely play in the preseason, you won't be sharp. It made little sense to "save" our starters for the regular season. This is what you get. But I can't coach either.

it was night and day after halftime. I had just told you they were kitties. Got back and the alcohol must have kicked in. Jesus they were silly.

Not once was there a reason to stand and that bothers me about their fans, too

The only time I saw them get excited was during a literal under Armour commercial.

They don't really care about the game....for the most part. They have to be begged to make noise.

Edited by Billschinatown

Tyrod needs to work on his anticipated passing. Theismann was right. He rarely hits recievers in stride. Yes he has a nice deep ball, but how often does he hit a reciever on a quick slant or a crossing pattern? It seems like he reverted back to his old ways of throwing towards the sideline on comeback routes. He definitely left a lot of plays out on the field. Not a good start for him.

Dont know what you guys bitching bout the Baltimore fans are talking about. Had a great walk to the stadium from Sliders, thought the intro's were a tad quiet, but at least in the lower bowl the place was quite loud on 3rd and 4th downs.

Fans around us were great, had some good back and forth , all good natured...think thats my 5th Bills game there, and to me it is one of the better road venues i have been too.

Think the people that always B word are the same people who would travel to Bmore and get wings instead of crab cakes. BTW RRich, that crab tosat was great...even if all i did was scrape the crab off and eat it :thumbsup::lol:

Edited by plenzmd1

The only time I saw them get excited was during a literal under Armour commercial.

They don't really care about the game....for the most part. They have to be begged to make noise.

that and Reverend murderer had his Baptist hell fire themed video

My son, the former HS QB, kept screaming that. If they're going to give him a 10 yard buffer, it's there every time. Why did we not make them come up to cover, and give us the shot at the deep ball 9we apparently never wanted to go for)?

Or just have Watkins turn to Tyrod and have him throw it immediately and see if they could come up and tackle him in space? So unimaginative...these are basic concepts...you wanna play 10 yards off, fine, I'll take the easy throw and get a minimum of 5 or 6 yards if not more because you aren't gonna tackle him clean every time and he might break one like he did at Clemson all the time...why do we never have any WR screens to him??