Why no deep shots today Mr. Roman?

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a mickey-mouse offense. -Period.. Why do have all these pieces like Powell, O'leary and Goodwin if we're not going to use them.?

It's a playmakers offense........and they need playmakers to operate it........those guys aren't playmakers......though Goodwin does have big play potential.

The defense is the opposite......it's a team defense.....which is why a spare part/special teamer like Lorenzo Alexander can be plugged in and look effective.

Matthew Fairburn ‏@MatthewFairburn 3m3 minutes ago

Ravens DT Brandon Williams on Tyrod Taylor: "The game plan was to make him be a quarterback."

If that's true, TT failed miserably and won't be long for the league.

Didn't seem to be able to make the pre snap hot read

Didn't read the field fast enough

Didn't make decisions fast enough

Didn't make the right decisions

Didn't make good throws

A guy in his 6th year shouldn't look like that regardless of how many starts he has had or not had. I think last year may have been his ceiling, that isn't good going forward.

The Bills challenged the Ravens' secondary today exactly zero times. I need to know why!

One deep pass on a broken play to Clay. That was it!

The one question I kept asking! They were loading the box all day. Spread them out!!! Not a single planned deep attempt. Crazy to me.

If that's true, TT failed miserably and won't be long for the league.

Didn't seem to be able to make the pre snap hot read

Didn't read the field fast enough

Didn't make decisions fast enough

Didn't make the right decisions

Didn't make good throws

A guy in his 6th year shouldn't look like that regardless of how many starts he has had or not had. I think last year may have been his ceiling, that isn't good going forward.

I am hoping it was the nerves of being back on Balt, but I just don't know. I am somewhat sure Roman didn't tell him not to go deep...

Rex's Comments:

"I think we did lead the league in vertical passes last year, so we're trying to do that, but you've got to have protection. It starts with protection. And quite honestly, they got after us pretty good in those situations.

"We've been trying to tell Tyrod to believe in your protection, let it hold up and make them pay. We had a big drop, an uncharacteristic drop by Sammy (Watkins) on that one. That's what we're trying to get him to do. We're trying to get him to throw it down the field, hold up protection-wise without him taking off all the time. He did make a couple of good runs and made some good plays. We just weren't consistent.

"I think it starts with protection. A lot of times it starts and ends with protection. We have the ability on the outside. It's tough, though. You have players not in there, Cordy (Glenn)'s out in that situation, but you have to step up. At times protection held up really well, but at times I thought they got outstanding push against us."

Tyrod's comments:

"It was hard. The safeties were playing very deep and they were giving us everything underneath. Basically, we were taking what they were giving us throughout the game."

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/09/rex_ryan_tyrod_taylor_explain_why_bills_didnt_throw_deep_in_loss_to_ravens.html

I am hoping it was the nerves of being back on Balt, but I just don't know. I am somewhat sure Roman didn't tell him not to go deep...

Rex's Comments:

"I think we did lead the league in vertical passes last year, so we're trying to do that, but you've got to have protection. It starts with protection. And quite honestly, they got after us pretty good in those situations.

"We've been trying to tell Tyrod to believe in your protection, let it hold up and make them pay. We had a big drop, an uncharacteristic drop by Sammy (Watkins) on that one. That's what we're trying to get him to do. We're trying to get him to throw it down the field, hold up protection-wise without him taking off all the time. He did make a couple of good runs and made some good plays. We just weren't consistent.

"I think it starts with protection. A lot of times it starts and ends with protection. We have the ability on the outside. It's tough, though. You have players not in there, Cordy (Glenn)'s out in that situation, but you have to step up. At times protection held up really well, but at times I thought they got outstanding push against us."

Tyrod's comments:

"It was hard. The safeties were playing very deep and they were giving us everything underneath. Basically, we were taking what they were giving us throughout the game."

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/09/rex_ryan_tyrod_taylor_explain_why_bills_didnt_throw_deep_in_loss_to_ravens.html

Good offenses dictate to the defense not the other way around.

Rex's Comments:

Tyrod's comments:

No he wasn't. His underneath throws were often too late or off target.

Rex's Comments:

Tyrod's comments:

Then attack the seams!

It's a playmakers offense........and they need playmakers to operate it........those guys aren't playmakers......though Goodwin does have big play potential.

The defense is the opposite......it's a team defense.....which is why a spare part/special teamer like Lorenzo Alexander can be plugged in and look effective.

I thought Lorax looked pretty good today actually

I was not at the game today, so before I make any declarative statements I'll have to watch the All-22.

With that said, I have spoken with several people who were at the game, and what they told me they observed was open receivers, often deep down field, on every single passing play.

This make sense to me given the structure of Roman's offense, which looks to exploit defenses by running multiple combination routes, and having receivers running through every level of the defense.

My guess is, that after watching the All-22, it will reveal that Tyrod was the same guy we saw last year in today's game. His release was slow, we wasn't able to read more than half the field, he only throws to open receivers instead of throwing them open, he wasn't throwing the ball though the middle of the field, and that he was bailing out the side/back of the pocket, rather than climbing through it and making Baltimore pay for blitzing.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I thought Lorax looked pretty good today actually

Yes. They executed Rex defense pretty well.

Two exception:

I thought Darby made some heads-down plays......Ed Reed should be all over him this week about taking his game from being in position to making the plays.

And without Dareus they struggled at the LOS at times.......with Dareus in there I think 3-5 of those decent gains get turned into stuffs.......but you can't expect Leger Douzable to push Marshall Yanda around like Dareus could.

My guess is, that after watching the All-22, it will reveal that Tyrod was the same guy we saw last year in today's game. His release was slow, we wasn't able to read more than half the field, he only throws to open receivers instead of throwing them open, he wasn't throwing the ball though the middle of the field, and that he was bailing out the side/back of the pocket, rather than climbing through it and making Baltimore pay for blitzing.

While TT was bad today and most of your points are true , I will say one thing in his defense. Most of the D pressure on him came up the middle , so he's not going to be climbing the pocket there. Still, he had the chance to make many more plays than he did.

Well , if that's true it certainly is a revealing statement . If TT can't make plays from the pocket he's below average. That's how he looked today.

And if our returning offensive line couldn't stop Baltimore's D-Line (who the announcers said were not very good last year), then we are in trouble. Especially if we lose Glenn for any amount of time (although they still looked awful with him in there).

Seriously, I didn't recognize anyone on their front seven except for Suggs...and they literally man-handled the o-line all day which made Taylor look uncomfortable and erratic. I know on any given Sunday, but damn...the offense just looked like they weren't prepared at all. And that is both on the players AND the coaches.

Edited by Bacchus44

I was not at the game today, so before I make any declarative statements I'll have to watch the All-22.

With that said, I have spoken with several people who were at the game, and what they told me they observed was open receivers, often deep down field, on every single passing play.

This make sense to me given the structure of Roman's offense, which looks to exploit defenses by running multiple combination routes, and having receivers running through every level of the defense.

I have a feeling this may be the case and you did a good job of putting all of my thoughts together. I am very anxious to see what the 22 shows...

Regardless, these are the games we have to win and find a way to win them...We have to learn, grow and start winning these games....We don't have a lot of crap teams on the schedule to mess around....

You can't throw deep against a strict cover 2.

You need an offense that can play 9 on 7 in the box when they play the scheme Baltimore had. Short and intermediate stuff, slot receivers and TE's, play action etc. Then you might get single covered on the outside and get a chance to take your long ball shots.

We will see cover 2 all year unless Roman starts preparing this team better.

Roman was so, so bad. His game plan was disgusting. The fact that they didn't look to go over the top once is appalling. This game is on Greg Roman.

On the players to execute, not the coach. The deep pass was there several times today. He chose to check down. Same thing as last year. Everyone wants to say going deep last year was a strength, his stats were boosted last year by the majority of his plays being short throws. He is a game manager nothing more. Sammy was open a few times and he didn't make the throw, very Trentitive.

Edited by DirtDart