seantrel Henderson facing 4 game suspension

I'm sorry. Grow up NFL. For that matter, grow up New York and the federal government. The verdict is in on the whole "Refer Madness" bs. There's no one in Colorado or Washington state going on a manic bender from marijuana use. Incredulously, the feds continue to prosecute growers in those two states with potential 20+ year sentences. Synthetic marijuana can be a massive health hazard as one can't know what has been mixed into the hybrid and should be a banned substance, but ordinary stuff is pretty ordinary in the end.

Take a mature stand, NFL, and end this stupidity once and for all.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He does a nice job with that story. It is hard not to feel for Henderson, especially if a doctor prescribed pot and even if he didn't. The kid went through a lot and did this because he thought it would help, right or wrong. Should he have reported it? Yes. IMO any punishment he receives should be for the lack of reporting, not the use of the pot itself. He thought it was the right thing to do.

I also find it sad that many people who have been hooked by pot will try to use this as a cause celebre and excuse to make pot legal, which is a mistake. Watch. Because it will probably happen.

He does a nice job with that story. It is hard not to feel for Henderson, especially if a doctor prescribed pot and even if he didn't. The kid went through a lot and did this because he thought it would help, right or wrong. Should he have reported it? Yes. IMO any punishment he receives should be for the lack of reporting, not the use of the pot itself. He thought it was the right thing to do.

I also find it sad that many people who have been hooked by pot will try to use this as a cause celebre and excuse to make pot legal, which is a mistake. Watch. Because it will probably happen.

Why is it a mistake to make pot legal? If alcohol and tobacco/nicotine are legal, why not marijuana?

Edited by nucci

if the nfl turned him down on that -- you think they should overturn it fully? or is this the policy you would like to see in place?

I suppose the NFL would have to stick to their guns at that point, but an appeals process could look to overturn it, setting precedence.

what if he didnt have that prescription?

Then to me I guess it matters when he tested positive? If he was on IR and undergoing surgery, thinking he might have to hang up his cleats, I think that should get a pass.

If he's reported to the Bills facility to start training, then to me it falls into the category of any other guy who tests positive - I may disagree with the rule, but it's a condition of employment.

Another player who feels he is above the law of the league.

Way to put yourself before the team.

Selfish players are a good sign of poor leadership.

Let the circus continue.

Imo

Edited by Leroi

I'm sorry. Grow up NFL. For that matter, grow up New York and the federal government. The verdict is in on the whole "Refer Madness" bs. There's no one in Colorado or Washington state going on a manic bender from marijuana use. Incredulously, the feds continue to prosecute growers in those two states with potential 20+ year sentences. Synthetic marijuana can be a massive health hazard as one can't know what has been mixed into the hybrid and should be a banned substance, but ordinary stuff is pretty ordinary in the end.

It isn't about maturity. It is about perception. The NFL sees an opportunity to stay out of the public perception of a drug culture. Alcohol is legal, they can't stop that, but while marijuana is illegal they have an excuse to ban it and sidestep the cultural drug issues they would have to face, including the perception of fans of the league. Made widely legal and available, there is no doubt the characters of the NFL would make fools of themselves bringing unwanted attention to things not involving football like they do with alcohol.

It's all a game playing with perception and social stigmas.

(Edit: There is an argument to be made that they aren't sidestepping opioids in the same manner.)

Edited by What a Tuel

Says the guy who needs to change his troll account screennames periodically.

Get on match.com bud. Maybe you'll meet a nice girl

Nucci,

The above post is an example of the veiled guilt i referenced. This type is called projection but there are lots of other types.

This situation presents an excellent opportunity for the NFL to show that it can see the forest from the trees . . . as well as demonstrate that it has some humanity for a guy who should be congratulated rather than suspended by the NFL.

Edited by Peter

Sad how many people posting here are slaves to authority, coming up with variants on the old "I disagree with it but it is the law and so must be obeyed." Seems like some would flip that old adage and take as their motto, "I'd rather live on my knees than die on my feet."

This is flat-out wrong. If you abide by Colorado's state laws, the feds have taken a completely hands-off approach. You can grow in your home for your own use. You can grow in a state-licensed facility for sale in a state-licensed shop. What you can't do is grow in an unlicensed manner for sale.

As for Joe B.:

This isn't even about the league's policy on marijuana usage, which seems a bit ridiculous in today's day in age.

That would be "today's day and age." I know, I know ... picky. But if you want to write for a living, learn how to write.