Please explain peoples want to be the Browns

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with continuity being a good thing.

That being said, in all honestly reading your statement, I can't figure out if you're implying that was a good thing or a bad thing to have kept Lewis.

Yes they have won, but completely imploded in the playoffs.

The Bengals stuck with Marvin Lewis despite two seasons of 4-11-1 and 4-12. How'd that work out for them?

That being said, in all honestly reading your statement, I can't figure out if you're implying that was a good thing or a bad thing to have kept Lewis.

im sure he thinks good thing because the Bengals are pretty good.

Are you equating flaming out in the playoffs with not making the playoffs?

My point is the Bengals have been contenders for several years now. And they stuck with a coach that had two termination-worthy seasons in '08 and '10. What happens in the playoffs is a separate matter.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'd hardly call two out of six years in the playoffs a string of failures. If a coach succeeded every year, they'd never get fired i.e. Belichick. Gee maybe if Cleveland hadn't been so hasty to fire him they would have reaped the success themselves.

Weren't his playoff years his first two? Then the NFL OCs obsoleted his defense, he's failed to adjust and he has had a half decade of ineptitude. I certainly hope he adjusts and succeeds this year but I just don't see it.

Why do people want to go backwards with coaching every year?

I keep seeing on here that people think or want Rex and company to be fired by mid-season. Why? What good will that do?

I guess some people aren't sick of the playoff drought yet or something, because bringing a coach in every 2 years does nothing for winning, just look at the Cleveland Browns.

Bringing a new GM every 2 years doesn't help a team either for those DW haters.

Continuity only works when you have quality people in the first place. Then you keep them together as long as possible and build a strong team.

But if you are starting out with the wrong people, keeping them together forever is not going to help all on its own.

The question is whether or not Rex and his staff are worth keeping.

They will have this season to prove they deserve to hang around or not, for sure.

Maybe one more too, depending on how things go.

PTR and 26 CB cite good examples with the Bengals in their 6 straight playoff appearances, and Panthers who just went 15-1 after a 7-8-1 season.

I'm not saying Rex is the answer. I'm saying which is what I think the OP is saying in just give it time. If Rex is avg this year, I.e. 8-8, he'll get another year,a me by year 3 we know if he's the guy. A dumpster fire of 4-12 to 5-11, and he gets dumped at the end of the year.

I know a lot of people disagree, but I still stick with Whaley. I've liked his moves, and hopefully he really gets to make his pick vs.Brandon if this goes horribly south. How anyone can argue this is not a talented team makes no sense to me. Go look at the Indy GM who lives on Luck vs. a talented team. Now that is a weak team that overly relies on a few players.

The bills (and browns) problems aren't that they are getting rid of people too soon (name one coach of theirs from the last decade that has gone on to be successful on another team after leaving the Bills or Browns)

The problem is that they aren't hiring the right people in the first place, and Rex is another regrettable move by this front office. You can keep him and his circus around hoping things change and he learns how to become a good head coach, or you get rid of him now and get someone in here now who can work with what they have before the entire roster gets turned over Gain cause they don't fit the only scheme he knows how to run.

As for the Bengals and Lewis, he continues to do well during the regular season, but when the games really count his teams fall flat on their face. Some, like bills fans right now may find it acceptable just to make the playoffs,but manyvsee the ultimate goal as winning a championship so anything short of that is failure

it will be interesting to see how this thread progresses as we go into the season......

If the team falters....NNN's will be all over it

If the team improves....and wins happen....we will start discussing the turmoil between Rex Ryan and the Jets front office (of which there was a bunch) and how Rex was put into a position for success by El Pegula and Whaley

Edited by John from Hemet

it will be interesting to see how this thread progresses as we go into the season......

If the team falters....NNN's will be all over it

If the team improves....and wins happen....we will start discussing the turmoil between Rex Ryan and the Jets front office (of which there was a bunch) and how Rex was put into a position for success by El Pegula and Whaley

Actually if the team improves the goal posts will be moved enough to declare the season a failure.

Some, like bills fans right now may find it acceptable just to make the playoffs,but manyvsee the ultimate goal as winning a championship so anything short of that is failure

So that means 97% of NFL teams are failures. See above.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

So that means 97% of NFL teams are failures. See above.

yeah, that's right. If your a team and your not playing to win a SB, then what strenuous playing for? If you don't win, it's failure. Is it enough that all teams should blow things up every year cause they don't win? Nope

If you could sit there and be happy as a Bengals fan just because you dominate the regular season then **** the bed in the playoffs, then can team fans call a season a success if they dominate the preseason and do nothing in the regular season?

The bills (and browns) problems aren't that they are getting rid of people too soon (name one coach of theirs from the last decade that has gone on to be successful on another team after leaving the Bills or Browns)

The problem is that they aren't hiring the right people in the first place, and Rex is another regrettable move by this front office. You can keep him and his circus around hoping things change and he learns how to become a good head coach, or you get rid of him now and get someone in here now who can work with what they have before the entire roster gets turned over Gain cause they don't fit the only scheme he knows how to run.

As for the Bengals and Lewis, he continues to do well during the regular season, but when the games really count his teams fall flat on their face. Some, like bills fans right now may find it acceptable just to make the playoffs,but manyvsee the ultimate goal as winning a championship so anything short of that is failure

Bengals, up until last year, i really thought it was Dalton who crumpled. Not Coach.

Andy made some major errors when it was on the line. But last season i thought they were going to break the streak.

So in your opinion the Buffalo Bills have NEVER lived up to your expectations ?

it takes time to build a top team.

"You can't fix everything at once"

Buddy Nix.

God bless him-he called the Browns a "class organization". That's a guy who's just glad to be here.

Silver is tight with Jackson. A friend of mine (a news journalist who will remain nameless but works in San Fran) is good friends with Silver. That is how I know that Jackson thought he was was getting the Bills job in 2015. He had held initial discussions with Schwartz about staying on as DC and had begun placing calls to other guys he wanted for his staff. He was flabbergasted when the news broke on the Saturday that they were hiring Rex.

yeah, that's right. If your a team and your not playing to win a SB, then what strenuous playing for? If you don't win, it's failure. Is it enough that all teams should blow things up every year cause they don't win? Nope

If you could sit there and be happy as a Bengals fan just because you dominate the regular season then **** the bed in the playoffs, then can team fans call a season a success if they dominate the preseason and do nothing in the regular season?

Failure is a tough word to throw around. Would you call a player who lost in the Super Bowl a failure to their face? I don't think you know what the word failure means. There is failure and there is falling short of your goals.