NBC's TNF Announcing Team is Tirico and Flutie

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that some dumb fans still bash the last qb to take us to the playoffs. Twice in two seasons.

I'm glad you love it...he wasn't a good QB, and he wasn't a good teammate.

His best NFL season is nearly identical to JP Losman's best NFL season; he won 10 games because he played with a top-3 defense. He never duplicated that in any other NFL situation because he never played with an elite defense again.

That he was good enough to not lose (and better than the alternative) does not make him a good QB; that he was a jerk behind the scenes is a fair reason to dislike him.

His best NFL season is nearly identical to JP Losman's best NFL season; he won 10 games because he played with a top-3 defense. He never duplicated that in any other NFL situation because he never played with an elite defense again.

That he was good enough to not lose (and better than the alternative) does not make him a good QB; that he was a jerk behind the scenes is a fair reason to dislike him.

for once i agree with you bandit

good call i mean the top 5 defense he had did nothing right?

Good call!!! Making a pro bowl, being comeback player of the year, and helping Eric mounds have the best season of his career are meaningless!!! Qbs have nothing to do with their teams winning! Fact.

I believe we have finished with a top 5 defense at least 3 times since Flutie left. And of course, we made the playoffs in all 3 of those seasons right???

The Flutie hate is laughable and dumb.

for once i agree with you bandit

I'll do better next time :lol:

Seriously though, I wasn't aware that we disagreed that often.

Good call!!! Making a pro bowl, being comeback player of the year, and helping Eric mounds have the best season of his career are meaningless!!! Qbs have nothing to do with their teams winning! Fact.

I believe we have finished with a top 5 defense at least 3 times since Flutie left. And of course, we made the playoffs in all 3 of those seasons right???

Again, for me, it's not that he was bad--it's that he was a jerk (arrogant and a bad teammate). I also feel that he was wildly overrated. Good enough not to lose isn't good enough.

Um, they were 7th in offense in Flutie's first season. I guess that doesn't count.

And you're really just blindly comparing stats? Then the Bills should have started RoJo all this team because he has essentially the same qb rating as Jim Kelly!

The Bills won 11 and 10 games with Fultie, who was 36 and 37 at the time. If Taylor has the same exact stats as Flutie and our team does that well, fans would build a statue for him.

I'll do better next time :lol:

Seriously though, I wasn't aware that we disagreed that often.

Again, for me, it's not that he was bad--it's that he was a jerk (arrogant and a bad teammate). I also feel that he was wildly overrated. Good enough not to lose isn't good enough.

Folks were willing to pay Tyrod franchise qb money for "making" a pro bowl. Flutie wasn't an 8th alternate the year he made it.

Say what you want, but his first season as a starter was a huge reason the Bills are still in Buffalo. And Qbs will always get too much credit for winning. See Tyrod and his 100 yard passing game against the Titans.

The only thing i hate is the so called "Flutie curse". Its stupid. Was I a RJ fan back in the day? yes. did i cheer for Flutie? yup.

But that was 16 years ago, spilled milk and people need to let it go. RJ beat the Titans. Flutie wouldnt have done much better against that Titans D.

I also hated how Flutie left Buffalo, the same way Moulds left too, complaining.

Um, they were 7th in offense in Flutie's first season. I guess that doesn't count.

And you're really just blindly comparing stats? Then the Bills should have started RoJo all this team because he has essentially the same qb rating as Jim Kelly!

The Bills won 11 and 10 games with Fultie, who was 36 and 37 at the time. If Taylor has the same exact stats as Flutie and our team does that well, fans would build a statue for him.

It bothers me that I'm not allowed to have a differing opinion on Flutie unless it stems from a belief that Johnson was a better QB. My dislike of Flutie is mutually-exclusive from Johnson.

You're doing the same as you accuse me of doing by quoting the team's offensive rank. They were a top-5 rushing team with a top-5 defense those 2 seasons; he was playing not-to-lose football from the QB position.

And no, I would be extremely disappointed if Tyrod Taylor put up the same numbers as Flutie this year. Sorry, but I'm hoping for better than 57% completions with 20 TDs and 11 INTs (his '98 numbers). I'm definitely hoping for better than Flutie's 1999 numbers, when his completion percentage dipped to a shade over 55%, and he threw 19 TDs to 16 INTs. Those numbers are pedestrian at best.

He just wasn't very good, and if Taylor has similar numbers, I'll say that he just isn't very good (for the record, I expect he'll be better--he was already better last year by a sound margin).

Fact is, Flutie won because he benefited from having a very, very good team around him. I'm glad he was here, because Johnson was a train wreck that couldn't get out of his own way, but as I've said for a long time: if the best thing you can say about your QB is that he's better than someone terrible, then he can't be very good.

Folks were willing to pay Tyrod franchise qb money for "making" a pro bowl. Flutie wasn't an 8th alternate the year he made it.

Say what you want, but his first season as a starter was a huge reason the Bills are still in Buffalo. And Qbs will always get too much credit for winning. See Tyrod and his 100 yard passing game against the Titans.

Maybe there were some folks for whom that was the reason, but most folks I saw were fine giving Tyrod the bridge deal that he got based on the eye test, not on him being the 8th alternative to a glorified practice game.

PS--not trying to dig at you here; I'm sure you know that.

What's wrong with Flutie in this role?

He's largely ineffective for 3 quarters of the game and finally shows up with some real insight on the last few drives of the game to salvage an otherwise mediocre day of color commentary. Hes not a guy you can count on to deliver a full 60 minutes of analysis.

He's largely ineffective for 3 quarters of the game and finally shows up with some real insight on the last few drives of the game to salvage an otherwise mediocre day of color commentary. Hes not a guy you can count on to deliver a full 60 minutes of analysis.

Yep. It's almost as if he makes up all of his comments as he goes along.

It bothers me that I'm not allowed to have a differing opinion on Flutie unless it stems from a belief that Johnson was a better QB. My dislike of Flutie is mutually-exclusive from Johnson.

You're doing the same as you accuse me of doing by quoting the team's offensive rank. They were a top-5 rushing team with a top-5 defense those 2 seasons; he was playing not-to-lose football from the QB position.

And no, I would be extremely disappointed if Tyrod Taylor put up the same numbers as Flutie this year. Sorry, but I'm hoping for better than 57% completions with 20 TDs and 11 INTs (his '98 numbers). I'm definitely hoping for better than Flutie's 1999 numbers, when his completion percentage dipped to a shade over 55%, and he threw 19 TDs to 16 INTs. Those numbers are pedestrian at best.

He just wasn't very good, and if Taylor has similar numbers, I'll say that he just isn't very good (for the record, I expect he'll be better--he was already better last year by a sound margin).

Fact is, Flutie won because he benefited from having a very, very good team around him. I'm glad he was here, because Johnson was a train wreck that couldn't get out of his own way, but as I've said for a long time: if the best thing you can say about your QB is that he's better than someone terrible, then he can't be very good.

Maybe there were some folks for whom that was the reason, but most folks I saw were fine giving Tyrod the bridge deal that he got based on the eye test, not on him being the 8th alternative to a glorified practice game.

PS--not trying to dig at you here; I'm sure you know that.

Fair post. I think a guy who took us to the playoffs twice in two years never gets the respect he deserves. His first year was probably one of my favorite years of being a Bills fans.

He also set franchise passing records in his only playoff game.

Fair post. I think a guy who took us to the playoffs twice in two years never gets the respect he deserves. His first year was probably one of my favorite years of being a Bills fans.

He also set franchise passing records in his only playoff game.

And fumbled on a key late drive that would have led to a win.