NBC's TNF Announcing Team is Tirico and Flutie

I promised myself that I would let you and others get the last word, but I could not resist responding to these comments. You guys are both great contributors to this board, but comments like these infuriate me.

Why? I find it hilarious that some here (many who are merely keyboard jockeys) would have the audacity to question that guy's toughness. The guy got the absolute sh*t kicked out of him. Nevertheless, he showed a lot of bravery in the pocket behind a questionable line (especially against the Titans when we had key injuries etc.). It would be hilarious to see some of RJ's detractors take the kind of hits that he did.

Now I am done. Get the last word in. Go ahead and question the guy's toughness while sitting behind a keyboard . . . .

Spare us the sanctimony re: "keyboard tough guys". Also, some might argue that young guys playing a game for millions of dollars are not typically described as "brave". RJ was a guy getting paid to play football. This doesn't make him any more brave than any other player or any other QB.

Was he physically tough--meaning could he perform in the normal course of his work requirements (getting hit is part of that job)? We can only compare him to his cohort. In his first game as a Bill, he left with a concussion and Flutie took over. In week 5, he suffered a rib injury (falling on the football). He would not play again that year as Flutie took the team from 1-3 to 10-6.

The next year he would play in one game--the Titans.

The next year, he was injured in week 1. He was injured again in week 6 and Flutie came in. After that he was again injured in week 7 and Flutie again took over.

In his final season with the Bills, after going 1-8, he broke his clavicle and the AVP era was ushered in.

As for the O-line, Flutie played behind the same line. Their stats? In 1998, RJ took 29 sacks on only 107 drop backs, compared to Flutie's 12 on 354. In 2000, RJ took 49 sacks on 306 attempts compared to 10 on 231.

Was he tough mentally? Hard to see this as evidenced on and off the field. Flutie was much tougher. If he was dick in the locker room or wherever, it was because he wanted to play every game. I'm sure he couldn't understand why the Bills kept trotting out a guy like RJ who could not get out of his own way behind Center.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he was dick in the locker room or wherever, it was because he wanted to play every game. I'm sure he couldn't understand why the Bills kept trotting out a guy like RJ who could not get out of his own way behind Center.

I don't care what his reason was--go to the coach. Don't go campaigning around the locker room for support. Don't sit in silence in position group meetings and refuse to contribute to the game prep because you aren't playing. Be an adult.

Some dumb fans?

So let me get this straight, because a guy was on a team that went to the playoffs, not sure how you can say he "took" the Bills there, he is not open to criticism or a differing opinion?

If you think RJ is a better Bills qb than Flutie, yes, on this issue, you are dumb. :)

I don't care what his reason was--go to the coach. Don't go campaigning around the locker room for support. Don't sit in silence in position group meetings and refuse to contribute to the game prep because you aren't playing. Be an adult.

What qb with any type of ego would be happy after losing their job to a guy they knew they were better than, after helping the team reach the playoffs 2 times?

If you think RJ is a better Bills qb than Flutie, yes, on this issue, you are dumb. :)

What qb with any type of ego would be happy after losing their job to a guy they knew they were better than, after helping the team reach the playoffs 2 times?

I'm not asking him to be happy; I'm asking him to act like an adult.

I can understand when my 3-year olds pout because they don't get what they want. When you're getting paid millions, you do your job. If your job is to contribute in team meetings and game prep, then you do it because you're getting paid.

When you sulk and refuse to do so, you're a jerk; plain and simple.

I'm not asking him to be happy; I'm asking him to act like an adult.

I can understand when my 3-year olds pout because they don't get what they want. When you're getting paid millions, you do your job. If your job is to contribute in team meetings and game prep, then you do it because you're getting paid.

When you sulk and refuse to do so, you're a jerk; plain and simple.

Every time he got the call to replace RJ (and there were many), he was "game prepped", so I don't know why you say he wasn't doing anything to get ready.

Every time he got the call to replace RJ (and there were many), he was "game prepped", so I don't know why you say he wasn't doing anything to get ready.

Oh, he was prepared just fine. When it came to contributing to QB meetings to put the game plan into place during the week, if he wasn't starting, his mouth was shut.

There isn't one other QB in the NFL that acted that way. Whether you're starting or you're the backup, you do your job. If you're the backup, you do your best to get the starter prepared. Peyton Manning and Brock Osweiler both wanted to play last year, and both felt strongly enough about it to pout. That didn't happen, they both helped get each other prepared as best as possible, because that's what professionals do.

Oh, he was prepared just fine. When it came to contributing to QB meetings to put the game plan into place during the week, if he wasn't starting, his mouth was shut.

There isn't one other QB in the NFL that acted that way. Whether you're starting or you're the backup, you do your job. If you're the backup, you do your best to get the starter prepared. Peyton Manning and Brock Osweiler both wanted to play last year, and both felt strongly enough about it to pout. That didn't happen, they both helped get each other prepared as best as possible, because that's what professionals do.

Joe Montana, who some still think was greatest of all time, notoriously would not help Steve Young.

Joe Montana, who some still think was greatest of all time, notoriously would not help Steve Young.

They both campaigned to the coach for more reps, and both even tried to use sabotage to beat out the other.

I never read that they wouldn't help each other prepare, in fact, they both were fairly ardent in film review about pointing out each other's mistakes.

They both campaigned to the coach for more reps, and both even tried to use sabotage to beat out the other.

I never read that they wouldn't help each other prepare, in fact, they both were fairly ardent in film review about pointing out each other's mistakes.

I read as soon as he came to the team Montana hated him and didn't even help him learn the playbook, then said something about it wasn't his job to help Steve Young prepare.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Kj53Sy7LS8YC&pg=PT31&lpg=PT31&dq=joe+montana+helping+steve+young&source=bl&ots=GRAPdf7paM&sig=Ttw--QTAxl24CYJBE-QSYxzxNw8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZzt3PtunOAhUD5WMKHccqDZ0Q6AEIngEwIg#v=onepage&q=joe%20montana%20helping%20steve%20young&f=false

Quote from Young:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201208/best-rivals-joe-montana-steve-young-nfl-greatest-quarterback-controversy

"People always think that we fought," Young said years later. "We never had a cross word, never had an argument, and I've always said to people that it went as well as it possibly could with two hypercompetitive people. But it wasn't easy; it was difficult, difficult for both of us."

Regardless, my point is that I don't like that practice. If in fact Montana was the same way, then I wouldn't condone that either.

Quote from Young:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201208/best-rivals-joe-montana-steve-young-nfl-greatest-quarterback-controversy

"People always think that we fought," Young said years later. "We never had a cross word, never had an argument, and I've always said to people that it went as well as it possibly could with two hypercompetitive people. But it wasn't easy; it was difficult, difficult for both of us."[/size]Regardless, my point is that I don't like that practice. If in fact Montana was the same way, then I wouldn't condone that either.

Of course Montana would say that. Wasn't that the same article that Montana told a reporter that Young was erasing bad passes from film so the coaches wouldn't see as many mistakes and then later Young was complaining to the same reporter that Montana was spreading rumors in the locker room about him erasing film?

Of course Montana would say that. Wasn't that the same article that Montana told a reporter that Young was erasing bad passes from film so the coaches wouldn't see as many mistakes and then later Young was complaining to the same reporter that Montana was spreading rumors in the locker room about him erasing film?

Again I say: Regardless, my point is that I don't like that practice. If in fact Montana was the same way, then I wouldn't condone that either.

Yes... It was...

Again I say: Regardless, my point is that I don't like that practice. If in fact Montana was the same way, then I wouldn't condone that either.

Well of course not, and I'm not badmouthing you or condoning what Flutie did. I think he was a backstabber, too. But I think perhaps it goes on in locker rooms more than we think.

I think Favre was a guy who didn't help out some quarterbacks but I'm not sure.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Well of course not, and I'm not badmouthing you or condoning what Flutie did. I think he was a backstabber, too. But I think perhaps it goes on in locker rooms more than we think.

I think Favre was a guy who didn't help out some quarterbacks but I'm not sure.

Worry not Kelly, we're good.

And that's a fair post.

Flutie was also 12 years older than Losman when they had near identical seasons. Kind of a feat for a 37 year old to have more rushing yards and passing yards than Losman in less games.

The point isn't whether or not Losman was good. The point is that this "great" season that some folks attribute to Flutie was actually quite pedestrian.

This is just ridiculous. Others here have pointed out this was clearly not true for even the greatest. That overstatement is as huge as your overstating Flutie's behavior in the meetings and film room. You are making up both, it seems.

You are a joy.

Thank you for reminding me of how much fun the Flutopians were and are.

Have a great day.

You don't have to have been a "Flutopian" to have spotted the inaccuracies in your post. They leap out at the reader.

Have a very good day.

This is just ridiculous. Others here have pointed out this was clearly not true for even the greatest. That overstatement is as huge as your overstating Flutie's behavior in the meetings and film room. You are making up both, it seems.

You don't have to have been a "Flutopian" to have spotted the inaccuracies in your post. They leap out at the reader.

Have a very good day.

Yeah okay, I'm making up his behavior

So Joe Montana did it and that makes it okay?

That's the worst argument I've ever heard from you.

Ever.